British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
daveallan81

London White City 1982

25 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I'm afraid Sid that was one meeting I missed although I have it on DVD and is best remembered for the 'coming together' of Ivan Mauger and John Davis and which Davis was subsequently excluded and missed out on that year's World Final.

I was excited to see Penhall/ Bast ride they both found it difficult but i always believed both would of practiced at Swindon beforehand  after a meeting as both tracks were reasonably similar.Iris and Chunky i believe see Bast at Wimbledon do some laps but i dont know if he did any other track? 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

I was excited to see Penhall/ Bast ride they both found it difficult but i always believed both would of practiced at Swindon beforehand  after a meeting as both tracks were reasonably similar.Iris and Chunky i believe see Bast at Wimbledon do some laps but i dont know if he did any other track? 

I recall that there was talk of Mike Bast signing for Wimbledon prior to the 1975 season but nothing materialised.

59 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I recall that there was talk of Mike Bast signing for Wimbledon prior to the 1975 season but nothing materialised.

He was on mega money in the States and his demands over here were unrealistic for any club.Penhall i can remember he was earmarked for Halifax first but that stalled for some reason McCormick was a shrewd bloke at Cradley.As for Bast we will never know what he could of achieved over here but Mike seemed happy with his career and you have to say he was a class rider Penhall also held him in high esteem.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Grand Central said:

My completed programme has a different time for the final

1982 World Team Cup - Victor Lodorum
Heat 1 : Schwartz, Penhall, K Moran, S Moran  70.4
Heat 2 : Maier, Hack, Gilgenreiner, Muller (NS), Wiesbock (NS)  71.2
Heat 3 : Dryml, Verner, Ondrasik, Stancl (F)  71.6
Heat 4 : Knudsen, Gundersen, Eriksen, Nielsen (NS), Olsen (NS)  71.4
Final :    Schwartz, Knudsen, Dryml, Maier  70.5

Many thanks.

10 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

You were a regular at White City Steve did you see Bast/ Penhall in 77.??

I did Sid, the crowd was massive that day. I think it was the biggest at the City in the post war era.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

That side really had a great spirit Schwartz( very underated) was a great  team man an awesome team partner he was great on the white line.

The mention of Schwartz just brought a couple of things to mind, he was always always a very approachable gentleman....certainly in his early and latter days anyway. I first saw Schwartz at Owego, New York for the very first US OPEN National Championship in 1977.....he won of course. The next year I was on the centre doing some photography and unfortunately got a good photo of Bob breaking his thumb after a close encounter on bends three and four. Wish I could find that photo today...also got one of him in a full slide waving!!!!

And yes Sid....I always thought he was underrated too!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, andout said:

The mention of Schwartz just brought a couple of things to mind, he was always always a very approachable gentleman....certainly in his early and latter days anyway. I first saw Schwartz at Owego, New York for the very first US OPEN National Championship in 1977.....he won of course. The next year I was on the centre doing some photography and unfortunately got a good photo of Bob breaking his thumb after a close encounter on bends three and four. Wish I could find that photo today...also got one of him in a full slide waving!!!!

The late John Berry admired Bobby and his work ethic and his account of him made for interesting reading in a past 'Backtrack' edition.

5 hours ago, andout said:

Great post this i loved watching Bobby and he was also terrific at Eastbourne just a shame in never got a run at it at World Championship level.By the way  andout what was your overall opinion of Mike Bast he was odviously a brilliant home boy.

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

Great post this i loved watching Bobby and he was also terrific at Eastbourne just a shame in never got a run at it at World Championship level.By the way  andout what was your overall opinion of Mike Bast he was odviously a brilliant home boy.

One of my claims to fame Sid, was seeing Steve Bast ride for Wembley in 1970. I think he only rode a couple of home meetings.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

One of my claims to fame Sid, was seeing Steve Bast ride for Wembley in 1970. I think he only rode a couple of home meetings.

I never see  Steve ride City, he odviously was a very good rider as he interrupted his brothers dominance in the national championships twice 1969/73.I saw Keeter ride once for Leicester and the talented Rick Woods at Newport odviously saw all of the disappointing McKnight Swindon  home meeting's going back to Steve i believe the terrific Bert Harkins helped him alot.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Yes you got that one right "a brilliant home boy" and really that was "it" in my opinion.....while he ruled the California circuits he could never come to grips with the bigger tracks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, andout said:

Yes you got that one right "a brilliant home boy" and really that was "it" in my opinion.....while he ruled the California circuits he could never come to grips with the bigger tracks.

He did get around Ascot??? that was my doubt could he get around Hyde Rd, The  shay,Swindon, County Ground, Owlerton in England.Ability wise i believe he could but Costa Mesa is alot different to a wet and mega racey night in Manchester on a crap Saturday night i still say Mike was classy could he of adjusted who knows.

Edited by Sidney the robin

11 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Saw Steve Bast ride for most of his Wembley career, he never got close to mastering English conditions and it was a regular event to see him with other Wembley riders being shown what lines he should ride. As far as I am aware he never had his own equipment during his time here and rode the Wembley track spare

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

He did get around Ascot??? that was my doubt could he get around Hyde Rd, The  shay,Swindon, County Ground, Owlerton in England.Ability wise i believe he could but Costa Mesa is alot different to a wet and mega racey night in Manchester on a crap Saturday night i still say Mike was classy could he of adjusted who knows.

Not sure about his Ascot adventures, I'm sure he did well....why....well he was in a class of his own for a long time in California......They were the really early days of American Speedway...it only restarted in 1969 and his only real competition was Rick Woods and his brother.

1 hour ago, wealdstone said:

Saw Steve Bast ride for most of his Wembley career, he never got close to mastering English conditions and it was a regular event to see him with other Wembley riders being shown what lines he should ride. As far as I am aware he never had his own equipment during his time here and rode the Wembley track spare

I know he rode in an abandoned meeting at Custom House. It must have been a shock to ride on a huge track like West Ham.