British Speedway Forum

19 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

Developers tend to be prepared to wait and wait and wait. They buy land (or get options to buy) and put it in the bank for when needed.

They are not short-term. Brandon Estates could hang on for many years. By that time, what state would the stadium be in?

An adverse finding at this Local Plan stage doesn't necessarily mean they will return the site to motorsport use.

After all, the Local Plan Rugby council are doing now will eventually be replaced by another Local Plan.

There is a piece of land near me which has had planning permission for homes for 10+ years -- still not a house built. 

Of course, houses will be eventually be built.

Reading still hasn't been built on, 11 years after closure.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Didn't know that but it does show how developers etc are quite happy to leave land un-used. 

Of course, such things didn't help Reading and is not good news for Brandon. However, fighting on is the only option.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

Didn't know that but it does show how developers etc are quite happy to leave land un-used. 

That's what really irks me! If you are going to get rid of something so you can reuse the land for something else, that's fine, but to just rush into demolition, and then leave it sitting for years, that's crazy...

Steve

Anyone remember how long it was before houses appeared at Dudley Wood

18 minutes ago, chunky said:

That's what really irks me! If you are going to get rid of something so you can reuse the land for something else, that's fine, but to just rush into demolition, and then leave it sitting for years, that's crazy...

Steve

Absolutely. The likes of West Ham were flattened immediately, yet it will probably take years to build on the Arena Essex site. Why not leave these stadiums active until planning permission is obtained.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Gemini said:

Yes and me. Used to go over there from Leicester on my little Honda 50 motorbike.  :D Great fish and chips shop on Station Road too.

Can you remember when Eric Boocock sacked Rob Tilbury,  over the tannoy 

5 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Always thought it was the local council rather than developers who wanted the land for redevelopment, and refused to extend the lease.

Sadly all the developers are concerned about is more money. I expect many are waiting and hoping that the Tories will come up with another scheme like "help to buy" that will push house prices up even further, or they are hoping for a post Brexit/non-Brexit bubble to come along eventually, not to mention the value of the land increasing whilst its stagnant.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ArthurRudge said:

Sorry you are asking the impossible now. Any old memory cells have long been pushed out to accommodate new information like why did I just go out to the garage or upstairs. :D The only match that has stuck in my memory is the Middlesbrough one (spelt correctly this time) when they refused to ride and Long Eaton won 75-zero.  Oh...and another one when Ove Fundin and his wife were guests of honour. Beautiful sunny June evening but the track had been over watered and the match cancelled.  Can't remember who the opponents were. 

Edited by Gemini
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, HertsRacer said:

Always thought it was the local council rather than developers who wanted the land for redevelopment, and refused to extend the lease.

I think the Prudential bought it initially, i don't know if they still own the land.

2 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Absolutely. The likes of West Ham were flattened immediately, yet it will probably take years to build on the Arena Essex site. Why not leave these stadiums active until planning permission is obtained.

Quote clear now Arena Essex could have had at least 1 more year

17 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Surely that's down to the fact that an ongoing use shows some need for that to be retained whilst leaving it to sit fallow means they can argue it no good for anything else and improves the planning chances

17 hours ago, cityrebel said:

I think the Prudential bought it initially, i don't know if they still own the land.

Has the land that was supposed to become the "racino" event get built on?

18 hours ago, ArthurRudge said:

Talking of eric , i asked a couple who are on the bus from halifax if they had heard of tai woffindon, no never heard of him how about eric boocock i said , oh yes he rode for the dukes didnt he sign of the times eh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1