British Speedway Forum

46 minutes ago, MattK said:

Has the land that was supposed to become the "racino" event get built on?

Not sure, i was a regular at Smallmead, but lived in London at the time.

5 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Yes - an industrial/warehouse unit.

Is the old Smallmead still undeveloped?

16 minutes ago, MattK said:

Is the old Smallmead still undeveloped?

Go look on Google Maps in satellite view - you can't miss it. Very sad...

I'm sure it will come as a major surprise to some .not so much to others though , the Fire Brigade are at Brandon trying to put out a fire in the main stand

• Sad 5

Few minutes ago i just thought I'd have a quick look at the  telegraph site to catch up on news and there was the video and headlines. 

So sad to see so much of my childhood and youth rotting away. Even worse is that developers are perfectly happy to destroy a heritage site for what they hope will be big gains. But the way the economy is heading it may be many more years before anything comes to fruition at Brandon .

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jrs said:

Few minutes ago i just thought I'd have a quick look at the  telegraph site to catch up on news and there was the video and headlines. 

So sad to see so much of my childhood and youth rotting away. Even worse is that developers are perfectly happy to destroy a heritage site for what they hope will be big gains. But the way the economy is heading it may be many more years before anything comes to fruition at Brandon .

Was/is Brandon a recognised heritage site?

1 hour ago, gustix said:

Was/is Brandon a recognised heritage site?

When I used the word heritage I was really referring to my own personal heritage and how it has always been  part of me, though a distant part these days. I am sure if it was a formally recognised heritage site it would be better protected.