British Speedway Forum

9 hours ago, jrs said:

Few minutes ago i just thought I'd have a quick look at the  telegraph site to catch up on news and there was the video and headlines. 

So sad to see so much of my childhood and youth rotting away. Even worse is that developers are perfectly happy to destroy a heritage site for what they hope will be big gains. But the way the economy is heading it may be many more years before anything comes to fruition at Brandon .

With any luck this Coronavirus will see the end of Brandon Estates

• Like 2

Serious questions need asking of the site security or lack of it. How can a building be set alight in broad daylight during the current lockdown. Anyone in and around the site should stick out like a sore thumb. 

• Like 1

HEART BRAKING to see the news clip .Dont think it will ever reopen but if it did i would gladly give my weekends to help

Edited by gmbaby
  • Like 1

Jeff Davies' comments today.

Jeff Davies@jeffdavies170

After yesterday’s fire, thank you to all those who offered messages of support. To those who were negative about the prospects of a return to Brandon - you’re wrong. We HAVE made progress. We WILL continue fighting it. We remain OPTIMISTIC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Triple.H. said:

Serious questions need asking of the site security or lack of it. How can a building be set alight in broad daylight during the current lockdown. Anyone in and around the site should stick out like a sore thumb. 

Was anybody from the Newport area seen in the vicinity ?

26 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

Jeff Davies' comments today.

Jeff Davies@jeffdavies170

After yesterday’s fire, thank you to all those who offered messages of support. To those who were negative about the prospects of a return to Brandon - you’re wrong. We HAVE made progress. We WILL continue fighting it. We remain OPTIMISTIC.

Please update us then on how far progress has got in regard to the r´tu®n of speedway and oval car racing to Brandon Stadium. I never see any comments in regard to oval car racing hoping to return there on the Facebook group I visit which is dedicated to the cars. 

I travelled there from south London many †times in the late 1950s for speedway and was always impressed with everything associated with the venue. 

Truly awful news, but not unexpected I'm afraid. Buildings of all types tend to get vandalised when they are left unoccupied for long periods.

Really hope that this can be repaired and protected, had many of my best speedway moments at Brandon

Always 'mysterious' how the landowners (in this case Brandon Estates) have no security on the site when such fires 'mysteriously' break out. :sad:

• Like 3

16 hours ago, tyretrax said:

Took longer than I thought.:angry:

A few more of us probably expected "something" to happen at Brandon and not in a positive way, sorry to say. :angry:

13 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Standard fare for dormant Stadiums. Shades of Cradley, Long Eaton and Powderhall.

I don't recall Powderhall being left vacant and then going on fire. It was closed down to be redeveloped.

2 hours ago, Triple.H. said:

Plenty of houses close by :wink: with people at home :sad: could have seen something!

Anybody who expected this to happen and  thinks it's another nail in the coffin , You're wrong . YOU HAVE BEEN TOLD .

38 minutes ago, adonis said:

Anybody who expected this to happen and  thinks it's another nail in the coffin , You're wrong . YOU HAVE BEEN TOLD .

I'm sure that I speak for everyone in hoping you are right.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Garry1603 said:

I'm sure that I speak for everyone in hoping you are right.

I think you missed the point a bit . it's not me who Is RIGHT

7 hours ago, adonis said:

I think you missed the point a bit . it's not me who Is RIGHT

I have to be honest, IMHO I do feel the venue has a greater opportunity of success as a track without the overbearing costs of maintaining an old facility. Starting again from a track in a field will give it the freedom to go/grow it's own way. The cost of running the sport is more then enough but to have to meet modern legislative demands in an old facility could always threaten it's viability in the future. It may need to take more steps back before it can go forward nevertheless I do sincerely wish everyine connected with the campaign well and good fortune for a positive outcome.

• Like 1