British Speedway Forum

11 hours ago, racers and royals said:

How were they going to pay for it- shirt buttons ??

How many millions did Mr Murdoch hand over to Speedway? And where did it go?

1 hour ago, racers and royals said:

I think we all know the answer- the riders !

Yes, we all know that... But who willingly handed over all of the money? And who creamed off a large wedge themselves?

Funnily enough I've just listened to the Shane Parker podcast this morning and he said exactly the same thing and be was one I would think that was benefiting from the Sky money.

Maybe if there was an independent body running the sport the money would have been channeled elsewhere... Who knows?

On 7/16/2020 at 8:43 AM, iainb said:

How many millions did Mr Murdoch hand over to Speedway? And where did it go?

It is my understanding that 70% of that money went to one person! One usually very orange person!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, KevtheRev said:

It is my understanding that 70% of that money went to one person! One usually very orange person!

Regardless of where the cash went it's proof if needed that those who run speedway in the country are incompetent. Vast amounts of money wasted and not invested in the future of the sport, total failure to capitalise on the involvement of sky sports and the greater media attention that brought for a few seasons. 

I would love to see the sport return to Brandon I have such fond memories of watching my team Ipswich at Brandon on Saturday evenings during the 90s and of course those wonderful Sunday afternoon British finals of the early mid 90s. 

I'm sorry to say that unless this once wonderful sport changes dramatically in the next 6 months ready for 2021 then the fate of speedway in this country will mirror that of Brandon. 

I wish you guys who are trying to save the stadium and return it to speedway use all the best but without massive change the sport will be nothing but a memory in a few years with the exception of one or two tracks staging the old open meeting and experience days. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, KevtheRev said:

DOUBT whether that is true. Without Terry Russell's initial efforts there would have been no Sky deal in the first place. He was entitled to commission then, as would anyone who brought in millions. It was Terry who kept the deal going and the promoters were happy to continuing paying commission. It was only when certain parties thought they could do better without Terry that the Sky deal started to falll out of bed. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

DOUBT whether that is true. Without Terry Russell's initial efforts there would have been no Sky deal in the first place. He was entitled to commission then, as would anyone who brought in millions. It was Terry who kept the deal going and the promoters were happy to continuing paying commission. It was only when certain parties thought they could do better without Terry that the Sky deal started to falll out of bed. 

And let's be honest, most of the money Terry Russell did make from the various TV deals has been ploughed back into Swindon over the years. I doubt he made a net profit on those two activities.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, KevtheRev said:

Your understanding is way off....

5 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

Spot on Phillip

• Like 2

On 7/16/2020 at 10:22 AM, racers and royals said:

I think we all know the answer- the riders !

...and ultimately the engine suppliers and tuners!!!

On 7/18/2020 at 7:39 AM, PHILIPRISING said:

That is absolutely correct. I seem to recall that an origination of a sponsorship is possibly around 20%...but any subsequent re-negotiation the commission goes down to 10%...again this is pretty much standard in all sports/commercial deals. Also 80% of a wedge is a bloody sight better than 100% of **** all.

Again from experience the effort that Terrence put into ALL aspects of Speedway has far,far outweighed any rewards he has received. At times the BSPA was full of people who did nothing but grizzle and moan about their share, whilst doing absolutely nothing to improve their business or the overall good of the sport.

17 hours ago, spiegal said:

That is absolutely correct. I seem to recall that an origination of a sponsorship is possibly around 20%...but any subsequent re-negotiation the commission goes down to 10%...again this is pretty much standard in all sports/commercial deals. Also 80% of a wedge is a bloody sight better than 100% of **** all.

Again from experience the effort that Terrence put into ALL aspects of Speedway has far,far outweighed any rewards he has received. At times the BSPA was full of people who did nothing but grizzle and moan about their share, whilst doing absolutely nothing to improve their business or the overall good of the sport.

But wasn't the chief negotiator the chairman of an association?

• Like 1

Yes, regardless of your own club allegiance it would be great to see a famous Speedway name return.  The sport needs more Clubs and I am sure this would be a tremendous boost.

Regardless of the state of Brandon when it re-opens I am sure most fans will be just happy to see the return the track-action.

Fingers crossed for a positive outcome.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/19/2020 at 3:15 PM, spiegal said:

Our local football team employed someone to garner sponsorship on the understanding anything he bought in he would keep a percentage.  This seems common practice.

To put it in simpler terms.  If someone legitimately offers you £100 and all he wants in return is £20 back would you take them up on the offer?