Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

41 minutes ago, naffer said:

I would imagine the only thing Brandon estates would consider is a scaled down residential development that leaves the stadium intact and able to continue.

Shades of Swindon though.

up the bees

I have often wondered if this had been considered. 

Yes, as soon as I saw someones kitchen window right next to the pits I knew the Robins were knackered

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I think one of the local MPs was pushing the idea as a compromise situation at the very beginning before Brandon estates put in the planning application 

Edited by naffer

5 hours ago, naffer said:

I would imagine the only thing Brandon estates would consider is a scaled down residential development that leaves the stadium intact and able to continue.

Shades of Swindon though.

up the bees

I don't know why these developers like to create so much conflict. If the land is so valuable for housing, why doesn't the developer work with the action group and the council, so a 3 way committee, to find a piece iof land, unsuitable for development, but ideal for a speedway track and build a stadium similar to Workington. Yes, a track in field, but what has been achieved at Workington, I think is marvelous. That way, BE get to build their houses, the council get more council tax and speedway gets Coventry Speedway again.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ray Stadia said:

I don't know why these developers like to create so much conflict. If the land is so valuable for housing, why doesn't the developer work with the action group and the council, so a 3 way committee, to find a piece iof land, unsuitable for development, but ideal for a speedway track and build a stadium similar to Workington. Yes, a track in field, but what has been achieved at Workington, I think is marvelous. That way, BE get to build their houses, the council get more council tax and speedway gets Coventry Speedway again.  

It would be sensible solution for all concerned if land can be found

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ray Stadia said:

There was already a track in situ at Workington with permission.

Finding the land and getting permission is the difficult bit, see Wolves 

18 minutes ago, noaksey said:

There was already a track in situ at Workington with permission.

Finding the land and getting permission is the difficult bit, see Wolves 

That is all true, but if the council are onside, surely that has to be a great boost! There must be some free land in Warwickshire? Actually, Workington must have needed council help, as the track, as I recall, was just a training track. Different to being a fully fledged league track, with traffic and parking to consider. And perhaps environmental issues.

Just now, Ray Stadia said:

That is all true, but if the council are onside, surely that has to be a great boost! There must be some free land in Warwickshire? Actually, Workington must have needed council help, as the track, as I recall, was just a training track. Different to being a fully fledged league track, with traffic and parking to consider. And perhaps environmental issues.

the Worky land was never going to be used for anything ever

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ch958 said:

the Worky land was never going to be used for anything ever

Yes, but maybe there is land in Warwickshire, similar?

1 hour ago, heathen52 said:

Would a track fit in there? But, looks like an indusrial area. Would the rugby club be interested, do you think?