British Speedway Forum

Hopefully speedway returns to Brandon a stadium sadly missed, everything ive read about this case tends to come across as the developers are flogging a dead horse as there dosent seem to be any enthusiasm for new housing within the council or local community. 

Do the new planning regs effect the situation at Cov at all? If I'm honest I don't really know what the regs are about... but a lot of people seem to be getting their knickers in a twist about it

18 minutes ago, iainb said:

Do the new planning regs effect the situation at Cov at all? If I'm honest I don't really know what the regs are about... but a lot of people seem to be getting their knickers in a twist about it

If you mean the new regulations government are talking about, they have not been passed by parliament yet.

12 minutes ago, Skodaman said:

If you mean the new regulations government are talking about, they have not been passed by parliament yet.

That's what I am referring to yes, do they mean it'll be easier for property developers to build on stadiums sties or more difficult... what's the general gist of it, do you know?

On 6/25/2021 at 9:20 AM, iainb said:

That's what I am referring to yes, do they mean it'll be easier for property developers to build on stadiums sties or more difficult... what's the general gist of it, do you know?

They are concentrating on Brown Field sites if the regs get the go ahead but after the Lim Dems victory at Chesham, some tory MPs are after rebelling against the bill!.

Article in the Cov Telegraph at least gives a bit more publicity to evrybodys hopes of a return and a link to the latest news letter. 

Got to say thanks to the group for their perseverance and maybe one day Speedway and Stox will return

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/campaign-group-signals-bid-bring-20974199?utm_source=coventry_live_newsletter&utm_campaign=daily_newsletter2&utm_medium=email

Can't get the link to copy correctly ?? didn't want to use up space with copying whole article etc.

10 minutes ago, jrs said:

Article in the Cov Telegraph at least gives a bit more publicity to evrybodys hopes of a return and a link to the latest news letter. 

Got to say thanks to the group for their perseverance and maybe one day Speedway and Stox will return

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/campaign-group-signals-bid-bring-20974199?utm_source=coventry_live_newsletter&utm_campaign=daily_newsletter2&utm_medium=email

Can't get the link to copy correctly ?? didn't want to use up space with copying whole article etc.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/campaign-group-signals-bid-bring-20974199

• Thanks 1

all-weather sports pitch... crafty!

If the housing application gets passed (hope not) & knowing Brandon Estates history in similar matters, I wonder what will be built first? The houses or the sports pitch & pavilion? Again, going by BE history, houses would be built then a new application put in citing other areas for social use & more houses needed in the area.

As per the Rye House planning application change, the submission of a new plan from Brandon estates means that all objections to the change of use will need to be re-submitted.

Save Coventry Speedway Newsletter copied below.

MANY of you will be aware that Brandon Estates have recently submitted a revised planning application – and we are now calling on ALL speedway and stock car fans to submit their reaction.
The consultation period is now open and runs up until August 11, so it is vital that you respond within the next ten days or so.
Back in early 2018, Rugby Council received an astonishing total of 1,800 letters and e-mails, almost without exception objecting to the developers’ proposals.
This response, along with our own detailed submissions and the findings of an Independent Report, ensured that the initial planning application never even reached the stage of determination.
However, we are now into a new phase, and therefore whether or not you submitted a response in 2018, we urge you to do so now.
We summarise some key points below, but should you wish to view the application in its entirety, it can be found at: https://planning.agileapplications.co.uk/rugby/search-applications/ – search for Coventry Stadium or R18/0186 .
The crux of the application is that the developers have now shifted totally away from their failed attempt to prove that the stadium was unviable, that there was no ongoing need for it, and that speedway and stock car racing was satisfactorily provided for at other locations.
Their attempt now is to include, within their application, provision for a floodlit 3G football pitch and associated facilities, and they are attempting to make the case that the benefits from this “clearly outweigh the loss of the current or former use.”
We will totally dispute that argument and expose it for what it is: a desperate backdoor attempt to get around National Planning Policy Framework section 97(c), and we already have substantial evidence to use in our response.
Once again, the developers and their representatives have made incorrect and untruthful statements about the state of the two sports they have evicted, and again we will be issuing a detailed response to this.
But every submission from the public is crucial, and we urge you to write or e-mail and register your objection to these proposals.
You do not need to make lengthy submissions, and each letter/e-mail must be a personal one rather than a petition - but naturally the point that a floodlit football pitch can in no way be seen to replace a World-famous international motorsports stadium is a very good starting point!
You can also make reference if you to wish to any personal memories of Brandon, the history of the stadium, and the need to protect sporting venues such as this – a fact which was firmed up in the Rugby Local Plan, which confirms the borough’s housing target has already been met.
It should be remembered, of course, that this development is not really about the ‘community boost’ that a 3G football pitch is supposed to provide: it is actually about building 100+ houses, making huge profits, and in the process destroying years of sporting history.
One other factor to bear in mind is that despite news of our own planning application which we made public in recent weeks, please limit your responses to comments on the developers’ plans only. This is not an ‘either/or’ scenario, and our own application has not been submitted yet as our focus at this stage has to be on our response to the developers.
We do sincerely thank everyone who responded to the consultation on our own plans, and there were some very interesting and useful suggestions made, many of which we will look to incorporate into the final version.
We plan to contact local residents again over the coming days with an update, but the response in 2018 came from far and wide, right across the motorsport world, and we need this to happen again.
Your submissions should include your name, address, and a reference to planning application number R18/0186.
It should be made in one of the following ways:
a) To the Case Officer via e-mail at Erica.Buchanan@rugby.gov.uk
b) By post to Erica Buchanan, Rugby Borough Council, Town Hall, Evreux Way, Rugby CV21 2RR
c) Online at https://planning.agileapplications.co.uk/rugby/search-applications/ – search for Coventry Stadium or R18/0186 and follow the Comment link.
Once again, we urge you to send your response to the Council by August 11. As we saw in 2018, every single response makes a difference.
If you do not feel that a 3G floodlit football pitch (and the housing, of course) should be given the go-ahead to replace our stadium, PLEASE send that response.  

Done via email.

Dear Ms. Buchanan,

I write with regards to the above application and the proposed redevelopment of Brandon Stadium, Coventry.

I am not a local resident, I live in Sheffield, but I was a regular visitor to the stadium before it was closed by the owners and stripped back to the sorry state it is in now. I am a speedway supporter and have followed how the owners of the site have made repeated attempts to redevelop the site for housing and make millions of pounds in the process.

This stadium was opened for speedway back in 1928 and I made my first of many visits in 1976 as an 8 year old with my parents. The stadium was one of the best speedway stadiums in the country and it was fantastic to see it packed with fans, hosting World Championship meetings, test matches and British Finals. It could be a great place to visit again and I know that speedway fans in the area and further afield would love to see the sport return.

On looking at the latest application, a 3G football pitch is a poor effort at maintain the site for sporting purposes and I feel strongly that a stadium steeped in history and with the potential to be returned to its former glories should not be allowed to be demolished.

I object to the proposal submitted by Brandon Estates. Please do not allow this to happen as it would be tragedy for many people who would love motorsport to return to the site.

• Like 4

I will send a response but I feel if most people who send a response are from the Coventry area they will take more notice as I see you have to include your address..

Email sent!