British Speedway Forum

18 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

A few strategic wildlife remote/sensor cameras might help the Save Coventry Speedway Group with a way forward.

Councils use them to catch fly tippers so why cant the group or even the police if it is a suspected target for arson.

Because it's not their property... it's like you coming round my house and putting cameras up... I know you like to follow me but I'd draw the line at that:lol:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, SpeedwayTShirts said:

Popped into Brandon last week on the way down to Oxford. Quick video of how things are now. Massive flyover now on TGI roundabout which was a shock……

Coventry Speedway June 2022

Good grief...can't see much hope there if I'm honest.

Really? It doesn't seem any worse than Oxford was a while ago?

• Like 1

It’s where all the trees and bushes have grown that surprises me. I guess when the stadium was in use they used to not grow because of the footfall of people walking over the areas? 

1 hour ago, SpeedwayTShirts said:

It’s where all the trees and bushes have grown that surprises me. I guess when the stadium was in use they used to not grow because of the footfall of people walking over the areas? 

Yes the size of trees growing out of terraces struck me too. 

I've seen that on those Abandoned Engineering programmes as well. Trees growing though the floors of abandoned buildings where you wouldn't expect them to be able to grow. It's amazing how nature takes hold again when humans aren't there.

5 hours ago, *JJ said:

Really? It doesn't seem any worse than Oxford was a while ago?

I used to call in at Cowley and although shocked by the deteriation it was nowhere near the level of Brandon. It was still structurally sound.

Thanks for posting the video, The Grandstand is to far gone now, not much work to bring the Pits back to life, the far side stand would be the main stand maybe with the starting gate over on that side, without seeing inside its difficult to gauge what other buildings could be saved from demolition, but I personally cant see the landowners selling this for Sports use, especially if they have paid development prices for it, RIP Brandon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heathen52 said:

Thanks for posting the video, The Grandstand is to far gone now, not much work to bring the Pits back to life, the far side stand would be the main stand maybe with the starting gate over on that side, without seeing inside its difficult to gauge what other buildings could be saved from demolition, but I personally cant see the landowners selling this for Sports use, especially if they have paid development prices for it, RIP Brandon.

I believe the land was bought for less than 3 Million. Hardly a development price, and I'm also led to believe that the site was never actually put on the open market!

They have been offered a substantial profit by those interested in bringing Stock Car & Speedway back to the stadium, but as yet have not even acknowledged the offer.

Edited by Gambo
  • Like 1

I think the grandstand would have to be demolished completely now if Speedway was ever to return. I thought it was dated before the speedway closed but it would need massive investment to refurb the existing structure and in all honesty would it be worth it? The pits, the back straight terraces and some of the out building look ok still and could easily be salvaged. 

• Like 1

Brandon was always a tip for years. While the grandstand will probably have to go, it is not essential: everything else which is needed is still there. There are few enough plush stadiums used for speedway.

• Like 1

Agenda for planning meeting on September 14th for Rugby BC planning now online.

The planning officers are approving the Brandon Estates application for housing, seems the promise of a 3G pitch and houses  is better than the heritage of the stadium.

gutted beyond belief

whilst watching that video i was remembering the stadium being full up for the classic british finals of the late 80s - always make the most of good times they never seem to last!

• Like 1