British Speedway Forum

The issue for finding a new "Brandon" is that you have to find a location suitable to have 40 add coaches running through a village when the stox are on, and finished. The current location is perfect. I went not long back and it's a mess but on what scale is expected to be  refurbished too? The stands are good, the tracks still there and a few mobile bars and it's a start.  It would need sizeable investment for lighting and the repair work for fencing then there is the electrics that have been ripped out of everywhere you can imagine. The land has opportunity for other local and community projects and trying to find land to build a new track on is a needle in a haystack. 

It will be intresting to see the response if any though from Brandon Estates. Where does this leave them? How far will they go before thinking lets just sell it and move onto another plot of land elsewhere.  My saying all along is that they purchased a viable Motorsport stadium, not a housing estate to be. There must be easier and less challenging avenues for them to look at, save coventry speedway team have given them a fight they never expected and Jeff, David and co won't give up now ...Can't wait to get back and help tidy the old place up.... 

• Like 5

This is not an update on current Coventry speedway happenings but a chance to look back at some wonderful speedway memories of the sport at Brandon Stadium. Enjoy!

http://www.defunctspeedway.co.uk/Coventry Brandon.htm

...and this is a look at when speedway also took place at Lythalls Lane in the late 1920s:

http://www.defunctspeedway.co.uk/Coventry (Lythalls Lane).htm

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, ArthurRudge said:

I'd love to see racing back at Brandon, I cannot believe it was allowed to disappear like that with the history of the club.  

Same with Cowley Stadium.

• Like 1

and Wimbledon

Developers tend to be prepared to wait and wait and wait. They buy land (or get options to buy) and put it in the bank for when needed.

They are not short-term. Brandon Estates could hang on for many years. By that time, what state would the stadium be in?

An adverse finding at this Local Plan stage doesn't necessarily mean they will return the site to motorsport use.

After all, the Local Plan Rugby council are doing now will eventually be replaced by another Local Plan.

There is a piece of land near me which has had planning permission for homes for 10+ years -- still not a house built. 

Of course, houses will be eventually be built.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Same with Cowley Stadium.

Cowley Stadium is just sitting there deteriorating...looked a real mess last time I called in.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, ArthurRudge said:

Used to love station road in the days of carl blackbird

Yes and me. Used to go over there from Leicester on my little Honda 50 motorbike.  :D Great fish and chips shop on Station Road too.

7 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

Developers tend to be prepared to wait and wait and wait. They buy land (or get options to buy) and put it in the bank for when needed.

They are not short-term. Brandon Estates could hang on for many years. By that time, what state would the stadium be in?

An adverse finding at this Local Plan stage doesn't necessarily mean they will return the site to motorsport use.

After all, the Local Plan Rugby council are doing now will eventually be replaced by another Local Plan.

There is a piece of land near me which has had planning permission for homes for 10+ years -- still not a house built. 

Of course, houses will be eventually be built.

Afraid I agree with this. I very much doubt if I will ever drive down the M69 again to Brandon. :(

2 hours ago, Gemini said:

Yes and me. Used to go over there from Leicester on my little Honda 50 motorbike.  :D Great fish and chips shop on Station Road too.

Never did the fish and chips, but I went up there a few times when I had a Wednesday off.

One particular year, there were a large group of us flying over to compete in the Canadian Open. Everybody else flew out on the Wednesday, but I went up to watch the Dons and flew out the next day! Now, that's dedication!

Steve

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Gemini said:

And Long Eaton. :(

... And Leicester :D