Jump to content
British Speedway Forum

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Byker Biker said:

I have to be honest, IMHO I do feel the venue has a greater opportunity of success as a track without the overbearing costs of maintaining an old facility. Starting again from a track in a field will give it the freedom to go/grow it's own way. The cost of running the sport is more then enough but to have to meet modern legislative demands in an old facility could always threaten it's viability in the future. It may need to take more steps back before it can go forward nevertheless I do sincerely wish everyine connected with the campaign well and good fortune for a positive outcome.

Who would rental for use of the land be paid to? How much would they charge for such use? More important would those who hold the Land Deeds agree to such a proposition? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, gustix said:

Who would rental for use of the land be paid to? How much would they charge for such use? More important would those who hold the Land Deeds agree to such a proposition? 

By "track in a field" i mean the current Brandon track but without the overhead of maintaining a dilapidated facility. A modest rebirth is more financially sustainable and can grow organically like Scunthorpe, Leicester and Redcar as examples but restoring it to it's former glory will place an ongoing cost burden with the associated risk. There are enough examples of oval sports being staged in tired old stadiums commanding disproportionate rents that have proved unsustainable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A track with limited facilities is probably the best that should be hoped for now , and elswhere than Brandon as well , far too much time and effort has been wasted locking horns with Brandon Estates , If there is to be a future for the Bees , then it needs a shrewd negotiator to convince Brandon Estates that it is to their benefit to compromise and finance a new smaller project , and that will free up Brandon for their ultimate goal . one thing s for sure .they are not going to be bullied by a few Govt directives as they have already shown . and the fires and Gipsy incursions will continue until theres nothing left , as it is .a property developer has far more clout than anybody ,and where a site may be rejected on enquiry from Individuals , it won't be rejected so easliy by a comapany with massive finance ,  Most people would agree property companies do as they please and always get what they want , if they wanted a speedway stadium because they needed one ,they would get it .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately I personally think that it's only a matter of time before Cowley Stadium goes the same way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, tyretrax said:

I don't recall Powderhall being left vacant and then going on fire. It was closed down to be redeveloped.

It wasn’t burnt down when left vacant ,but it did have a “dodgy” fire incident towards the end of its speedway tenure.(just to help the redevelopment case no doubt).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BuxtonTiger said:

And how much will it cost to clear everything to make Brandon into a track in a field?

Considerably less than it will take to make good the current facility. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the cost of getting rid of so called rubbish (yes , i typed rubbish ) would be far greater i think . small garage over. the road where i used to live  cost around k20 . 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has the garden centre been redeveloped yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gemini said:

Has the garden centre been redeveloped yet?

Not when I drove past there about 5 weeks ago. Bit small for a new track though I think.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

for speedway to return to Coventry it would need someone with deep pockets and also to run the whole stadium as a business, speedway, greyhound racing, stock cars, football/rugby in the middle, car boot sales at the weekends, conference facilities etc etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/18/2020 at 9:27 PM, Byker Biker said:

I have to be honest, IMHO I do feel the venue has a greater opportunity of success as a track without the overbearing costs of maintaining an old facility. Starting again from a track in a field will give it the freedom to go/grow it's own way. The cost of running the sport is more then enough but to have to meet modern legislative demands in an old facility could always threaten it's viability in the future. It may need to take more steps back before it can go forward nevertheless I do sincerely wish everyine connected with the campaign well and good fortune for a positive outcome.

Agree 100% with this.  Brandon is a fantastic venue for speedway,  but even in the last few years before it was closed, you got the impression that parts of the stadium were falling down.

I still think it's a big ask to get the Bees and Stoxs back in there, but having the track and building it up around it (as was the case at Somerset) would be the best option

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2020 at 11:21 AM, Fromafar said:

It wasn’t burnt down when left vacant ,but it did have a “dodgy” fire incident towards the end of its speedway tenure.(just to help the redevelopment case no doubt).

I knew there was a fire in there somewhere. It was a long time ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2020 at 9:52 PM, False dawn said:

Not when I drove past there about 5 weeks ago. Bit small for a new track though I think.

Just wondered because it has been empty for years. I'm surprised there has been no interest in buying the land to build houses or perhaps it has to remain as a garden centre?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Odds On said:

for speedway to return to Coventry it would need someone with deep pockets and also to run the whole stadium as a business, speedway, greyhound racing, stock cars, football/rugby in the middle, car boot sales at the weekends, conference facilities etc etc.

Afraid I can't see that happening especially as people are anti Greyhound Racing these days and Speedway is in decline. I think Mr Sandhu held a car boot sale in Tsunami year 2004 ? and there were about half a dozen people there. Don't they have regular ones a bit further down the road?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy