British Speedway Forum

On 4/19/2020 at 10:23 AM, adonis said:

A track with limited facilities is probably the best that should be hoped for now , and elswhere than Brandon as well , far too much time and effort has been wasted locking horns with Brandon Estates , If there is to be a future for the Bees , then it needs a shrewd negotiator to convince Brandon Estates that it is to their benefit to compromise and finance a new smaller project , and that will free up Brandon for their ultimate goal . one thing s for sure .they are not going to be bullied by a few Govt directives as they have already shown . and the fires and Gipsy incursions will continue until theres nothing left , as it is .a property developer has far more clout than anybody ,and where a site may be rejected on enquiry from Individuals , it won't be rejected so easliy by a comapany with massive finance ,  Most people would agree property companies do as they please and always get what they want , if they wanted a speedway stadium because they needed one ,they would get it .

This is the answer. I don't understand why so many people look a gift horse in the mouth - Coventry, Swindon and Oxford could all take the same approach.

The plan at Brandon is for 137 new homes. If you assume a £100k profit on each house, that's £13.7m of potential profits for the developers. If speedway (and stox or whoever) ask for a simple donation of just ten percent, this would give £1.3m for everyone to go off and set up a track, away from any potential housing development and completely own by the racing fraternity. In exchange, any claims or opposition to the housing development from Save Coventry Speedway or other groups would be dropped.

I don't know why this approach isn't pursued. Maybe people think it is too much work? I think it is less work than trying to go up against experienced developers with deep pockets. Maybe they think they don't have leverage? The situation at Oxford proves that protests can at best slow development and at worst bring it to a halt for years.

This for me seems like a solution where everyone walks away with what they want.

3 hours ago, MattK said:

This is the answer. I don't understand why so many people look a gift horse in the mouth - Coventry, Swindon and Oxford could all take the same approach.

The plan at Brandon is for 137 new homes. If you assume a £100k profit on each house, that's £13.7m of potential profits for the developers. If speedway (and stox or whoever) ask for a simple donation of just ten percent, this would give £1.3m for everyone to go off and set up a track, away from any potential housing development and completely own by the racing fraternity. In exchange, any claims or opposition to the housing development from Save Coventry Speedway or other groups would be dropped.

I don't know why this approach isn't pursued. Maybe people think it is too much work? I think it is less work than trying to go up against experienced developers with deep pockets. Maybe they think they don't have leverage? The situation at Oxford proves that protests can at best slow development and at worst bring it to a halt for years.

This for me seems like a solution where everyone walks away with what they want.

And where is this piece of land? Do you not think that alternative sites have been sought, and none found?

10 hours ago, Gemini said:

Just wondered because it has been empty for years. I'm surprised there has been no interest in buying the land to build houses or perhaps it has to remain as a garden centre?

Sandhu owned the garden centre as well ,he applied for permission to build a hotel but that got turned down  ,  just like all his permission for the stadium site . so maybe he or his nonexistent partner sold that to brandon estates as well

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gambo said:

And where is this piece of land? Do you not think that alternative sites have been sought, and none found?

What wrong with here?

Map2.jpg.17c94846e79d66703abab9cd12620d1c.jpgMap.jpg.337682c7b8666c64a4241b2a301a1aef.jpg

5 minutes ago, Gambo said:

They have and they got turned down , thats down to the clout of the applicant ,  Brandon Estates  area whole different league , Like I said in a earlier post , if a big money developer wants  (needs if they want to build on brandon without protest ) they get ,  I would imagine B.E have the legal dept that would deal with a few complaints or a tardy council in an instant , anyway your'e about to see what they can do , because despite all the protestations and claims of govt. directives ,they will overthrow the lot and build on Brandon , better to try and get them to build a new place , before they force their way ,and build on brandon

AS I said before, do you not think that alternative sites were not sought? It's no good just picking sites from Google maps!

3 minutes ago, MattK said:

What wrong with here?

Map2.jpg.17c94846e79d66703abab9cd12620d1c.jpgMap.jpg.337682c7b8666c64a4241b2a301a1aef.jpg

That piece of land is already earmarked ,in fact they may have already started  to build  a new  technology park ,  as an industrial site it has  connectioins within yards to the M6  M69 and M1  , it must be worth a fortune for that alone ,

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, adonis said:

That piece of land is already earmarked ,in fact they may have already started  to build  a new  technology park ,  as an industrial site it has  connectioins within yards to the M6  M69 and M1  , it must be worth a fortune for that alone ,

This was just sticking a pin in a map. There must be pieces of land, ideally sandwiched between major roads which would make it unattractive for houses, which could be used for speedway?

Has anyone in fact contacted Brandon estates to see if they would indeed finance an alternative site ?.

10 minutes ago, greyhoundp said:

Has anyone in fact contacted Brandon estates to see if they would indeed finance an alternative site ?.

I think they did sometime back ,  but back then B.E still thought their plans were going to be a walk in the park , since then Communication with them seems to have withered ..

16 minutes ago, MattK said:

This was just sticking a pin in a map. There must be pieces of land, ideally sandwiched between major roads which would make it unattractive for houses, which could be used for speedway?

Might I refer the honourable member to my previous answers! ;)

Do you not think that alternative sites have been sought and refused/rejected for a variety of reasons?

Edited by Gambo
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, MattK said:

The old car factory at ryton would have been Ideal , but at the time SOME people ,still trusted Sandhu to come good on his promises

Who actually owns brandon stadium ? Anyone can put in a planning application even if they dont own the land..

http://www.datalog.co.uk/browse/detail.php/CompanyNumber/JE116507/BRANDON+ESTATES+LIMITED

https://opencorporates.com/companies/je/EXTUID_300208

https://companycheck.co.uk/company/08464341/BRANDON-ESTATES-LIMITED/companies-house-data

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08464341/filing-history

So someone is behind this that doesnt want the general public to know who they are, i suspect its the Jersey based company, the clue is their accountants are based in Sutton Coldfield so i think all these companies are possibly one and the same..

Edited by greyhoundp

1 hour ago, MattK said:

"Sandwiched between major roads" would make it highly attractive for housing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, W9 Lion said:

"Sandwiched between major roads" would make it highly attractive for housing.

It must be just me then, not wanting to live next to a main road.