British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Arch Stanton

Peterborough Vs Ipswich 13th May

22 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

I hope he does sell  and takes his 90 tonnes of shale and new equipment with him.. See how they get on. Ippo seem ok ;)

Well I've certainly had to eat my words because the Witches have done far better than I expected - still not convinced they will last the pace - and at the moment 'Ippo' do seem OK. However I think most Ipswich fans would rather the club was still owned by Louis in the Championship instead of by Chapman in Premiership.

13 hours ago, Shrub said:

Well I've certainly had to eat my words because the Witches have done far better than I expected - still not convinced they will last the pace - and at the moment 'Ippo' do seem OK. However I think most Ipswich fans would rather the club was still owned by Louis in the Championship instead of by Chapman in Premiership.

Nope.

• Like 1

Enjoyable watch Monday, good to see the Witches claim their first away win of the season. A real solid side with contributions all the way through. Would not be surprised if Ipswich sneak into the top four with the home track advantage. Lawson, Heeps and Allen were very impressive. Can definitely see the effort that Cam has put in over the winter is working, looks a better and fitter rider. Jake Allen was a joy to watch, looks to have a real bright future. 

14 hours ago, Shrub said:

Even as a Stars fan i'm pleased to see the Witches doing well and by reports, the crowds are up as well. Always good to hear no matter if it is the enemy :)

I think Louis may well buy the club back at some point. Maybe Louis didn't want to take the risk moving up, and he didn't have to. But this way it helps save the Prem and BT deal for now, and Chris hasn't took a risk. He may well stay in the Prem  when he buys the club back, just a matter of when and not if I think. It seems to be working for both so far. 

I hope someone buys the Panthers pretty quick . No one seems happy. But Buster has spent 5 figures on shale and equipment so i'm thinking he had plans for the Showground, but after all the stick he's getting, I hope he sells the club asap.

Edited by Bald Bloke
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Shrub said:

I would rather be in championship,,, but it currently looks like the prem will be easier for us to win 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

I hope someone buys the Panthers pretty quick . No one seems happy. But Buster has spent 5 figures on shale and equipment so i'm thinking he had plans for the Showground, but after all the stick he's getting, I hope he sells the club asap.

3 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

Finally I can agree with you - needs a new owner ASAP, fresh input different track preparation and hopefully will be someone with a passion for the Club who the fans can relate to once more.   Five figures these days is nothing and I really don’t understand what plans you can possibly think he had for the SHOWGROUND because unless he was to buy it (several million pounds would be required) it is only ever available as and when you work around all the other events the Society put on or contract it out for - for example I have been reliably told that the rerun of our rained off meeting V Belle Vue of 9th May can only be fitted in in September - this in a league of only 7 teams and we have many weeks coming up throughout the summer with no home fixtures!    

Edited by maneacat

On 5/14/2019 at 5:44 PM, Warriors said:

Typical buster track thinking fast times is the B all, who really gives a stuff about track records, thinking the track must be good if the track record is broken, not giving any thoughts to entertainment and that's what any sport is about ENTERTAINMENT.

I've heard him say that a slicker track is better for racing hence why Kings Lynn doesn't have the material on it like in the early 2000s. It's still grippy compared to others I guess mind ....

59 minutes ago, Trees said:

I've heard him say that a slicker track is better for racing hence why Kings Lynn doesn't have the material on it like in the early 2000s. It's still grippy compared to others I guess mind ....

I think Busters slick would be really grippy at most tracks:)

9 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

Even as a Stars fan i'm pleased to see the Witches doing well and by reports, the crowds are up as well. Always good to hear no matter if it is the enemy :)

I think Louis may well buy the club back at some point. Maybe Louis didn't want to take the risk moving up, and he didn't have to. But this way it helps save the Prem and BT deal for now, and Chris hasn't took a risk. He may well stay in the Prem  when he buys the club back, just a matter of when and not if I think. It seems to be working for both so far. 

Save for how long? This year? Two? For years now every time the premiership gets into trouble they con teams from the Championship into moving up, they then get into trouble and move back down again or go bust. They try the same thing over and again and hope for a different outcome each time. This time no one was stupid enough to move up so Chapman did what he did to buy the league another year or two. Whilst I'm pleased that things are going well for Ipswich at the moment, I still think this will end badly... 

And I never thought I'd see the day when I'd be feeling sorry for Peterborough fans   

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Shrub said:

Save for how long? This year? Two? For years now every time the premiership gets into trouble they con teams from the Championship into moving up, they then get into trouble and move back down again or go bust. They try the same thing over and again and hope for a different outcome each time. This time no one was stupid enough to move up so Chapman did what he did to buy the league another year or two. Whilst I'm pleased that things are going well for Ipswich at the moment, I still think this will end badly... 

And I never thought I'd see the day when I'd be feeling sorry for Peterborough fans   

Sadly I think you are  right. It's just prolonging the inevitable 1 big league for a little longer. Buster is trying to save the top flight (if you can call it that anymore) and I guess he was hoping to make the 2 both viable Prem clubs with plenty of rivalry clashes bumping up the crowds, so that who ever does buy them would stay in the Prem maybe ?

He is trying but he is set in his ways to say the least :blink:. I think Louis will have Ippo back within a season or 2, but not sure about the Panthers sadly :neutral:

On 5/14/2019 at 10:43 PM, Shrub said:

I’m much happier watching premiership speedway this season - would have preferred Louis to still be the owner and buster not involved but I understand why he couldn’t take all the financial risks himself at the time. He’s got a buy back clause so fingers crossed the season is successful and he’s able to justify the risk to take back full control! 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, 89buttons said:

I’m much happier watching premiership speedway this season - would have preferred Louis to still be the owner and buster not involved but I understand why he couldn’t take all the financial risks himself at the time. He’s got a buy back clause so fingers crossed the season is successful and he’s able to justify the risk to take back full control! 

Admittedly I've only been a couple of times this year such is my dissolution with the way the sport is run, and it sticks in the craw putting money in Chapman's pocket, but to me the racing was no better than the Championship; the usual follow the leader Ipswich fare.

Regarding the buy back clause and the hope that a successful season will justify the risk, you're assuming there will still be a viable Elite League! It's bound to go t!ts up again, it always does. Louis wouldn't take the risk to move up as he knew it wasn't viable and Chapman only did it to buy the Elite league another year. The whole sport needs restructuring but it seems it ain't gonna happen with Chapman at the helm, he hasn't the ideas, ability or vision to do it and instead is happy to paper over the cracks.

I realise that in the few posts I've made I probably come across as a miserable, negative old git but I do fear for the club's future. A major decision was made in haste and nobody seemed to be looking long term, it was all about keeping the top league alive for another year. Such hasty snap decisions rarely work out well in the end...    

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Shrub said:

Admittedly I've only been a couple of times this year such is my dissolution with the way the sport is run, and it sticks in the craw putting money in Chapman's pocket, but to me the racing was no better than the Championship; the usual follow the leader Ipswich fare.

Regarding the buy back clause and the hope that a successful season will justify the risk, you're assuming there will still be a viable Elite League! It's bound to go t!ts up again, it always does. Louis wouldn't take the risk to move up as he knew it wasn't viable and Chapman only did it to buy the Elite league another year. The whole sport needs restructuring but it seems it ain't gonna happen with Chapman at the helm, he hasn't the ideas, ability or vision to do it and instead is happy to paper over the cracks.

I realise that in the few posts I've made I probably come across as a miserable, negative old git but I do fear for the club's future. A major decision was made in haste and nobody seemed to be looking long term, it was all about keeping the top league alive for another year. Such hasty snap decisions rarely work out well in the end...    

Couldn’t disagree more. Respect your opinion though :)

• Like 2

As I said, only been a couple of times  based on what I saw there was little difference. Must have missed the better ones!

• Like 1

Just now, Shrub said:

As I said, only been a couple of times  based on what I saw there was little difference. Must have missed the better ones!

Which two did you see?