British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
davidba

world u21 team final Belle Vue 12th July

The idea is to attract away fans and neutrals to watch it who wouldn’t want to travel without stopping locals from attending.

Price of around £10 is lot cheaper for an away fan then travelling etc.
Ice hockey been doing this for years and have learnt this you don’t want to affect the the home crowd but gain from mainly away fans watching steam who don’t want to travel. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob B said:

The idea is to attract away fans and neutrals to watch it who wouldn’t want to travel without stopping locals from attending.

Price of around £10 is lot cheaper for an away fan then travelling etc.
Ice hockey been doing this for years and have learnt this you don’t want to affect the the home crowd but gain from mainly away fans watching steam who don’t want to travel. 

That is the real dilemma of this. It will be almost impossible to get That pricing right to achieve the outcome we want. Especially, it would seem, with Speedway fans.

£5 is so cheap that some locals would not attend and yet £10 would probably be considered by most of us to be too much to spend on a live feed of such a meeting. 

Let's not forget this is a meeting that if not being held in this country very few folk would have cared about at all. And no one would have paid £5 to havevitt being cast from Poland or Czecho at all.

Not sure that BSI would get any real take up on a live stream of GPs at £5 a time either, come to that. We may love our speedway but we don't really like paying much for it. We d all look for a hooky pirate stream instead.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rob B said:

£5 too cheap, what would happen is locals would stop attending, would need to be around £10. Ice Hockey been doing this for several years now.

£10 pound it is then. I am up for that but quite frankly not more than that ( personally speaking ). How successful has it been in ice hockey, do you know?

Just now, waytogo28 said:

£10 pound it is then. I am up for that but quite frankly not more than that ( personally speaking ). How successful has it been in ice hockey, do you know?

It has been very succesful in ice hockey with 10 out of the 11 teams doing it. Crowds don't seem to have been affected too much as I have been told 90% of the viewers are away fans.

39 minutes ago, Rob B said:

It has been very succesful in ice hockey with 10 out of the 11 teams doing it. Crowds don't seem to have been affected too much as I have been told 90% of the viewers are away fans.

Yes ... But that really does rely on the strong team affiliation to drive such success.

Not sure if that is of any useful value in relation to streaming last night's type of event.

Really enjoyable meeting, some brilliant racing & real atmosphere created by the many Polish fans in attendance - Lublin, Wroclaw &  Leszno colours in evidence around me, belting out "Polska Bialo Czerwony" with gusto & real passion, great stuff! With Chase the mascot doing what he does best as part of the excellent BV presentation it all contributed to a fun night out.

Just a comment on Leon Flint, felt those first two laps offered us a glimpse into a very bright future. Yes he tailed off, but for two laps he showed real pace & a lack of fear of riders with greater experience which will hopefully take him a long way.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Grand Central said:

Yes ... But that really does rely on the strong team affiliation to drive such success.

Not sure if that is of any useful value in relation to streaming last night's type of event.

You've also got to consider the current state of the sport. 

For example, let's say belle vue were away to Kings Lynn. I would have absolutely no interest in paying to watch that. Certainly if monday is anything to go by.

Peterborough on the other hand, I'd pay. 

I think people will be very selective because as you say, there is no team emphasis in this country anymore. It's more about the quality of the product.

Ice Hockey is about the team.

3 minutes ago, mikec said:

Really enjoyable meeting, some brilliant racing & real atmosphere created by the many Polish fans in attendance - Lublin, Wroclaw &  Leszno colours in evidence around me, belting out "Polska Bialo Czerwony" with gusto & real passion, great stuff! With Chase the mascot doing what he does best as part of the excellent BV presentation it all contributed to a fun night out.

Just a comment on Leon Flint, felt those first two laps offered us a glimpse into a very bright future. Yes he tailed off, but for two laps he showed real pace & a lack of fear of riders with greater experience which will hopefully take him a long way.

Had good speed. Actually thought he was unlucky going into bend 3 on lap 1, the other 3 moved out and filled him in. Left no run around the outside. Sometimes you just need a little luck and he didnt get any.

Was quick though and was riding with aggression, something Bickley and Kemp didnt have.

It's all good experience for the young gb lads  the only way to improve is to ride with riders of better ability 

11 minutes ago, r8gdp said:

It's all good experience for the young gb lads  the only way to improve is to ride with riders of better ability 

Absolutely, the experience that the three youngest ones gained last night will be invaluable. Kemp & Flint have five more years in this age group and Bickley four so you’d like to think that by 2023 they will form the nucleus of a strong team in this event. There were others who could have been chosen last night who arguably won’t get much better judging by their club form so in the long run using the three younger lads will probably pay dividends. As ever though they need exposure to foreign tracks as much as possible over the next few years however that can be achieved. 

What happened with Jack Smith, after reading his comments on twitter he seems to have some kind of beef with the management????

Reading between the lines he thinks he should have been in the team but based on his Championship scores over the last 2-3 seasons I’d disagree with him. 

10 hours ago, mikec said:

He was really annoyed at himself at the end of the race on the back straight but he defo did himself proud. Really in the mix and as somebody else said his blast round the outside was blocked on the 3rd/4th bend lap 1. Had he had a free run anything could have happened. The future is bright for team GB I feel and especially so for my team, BV. Just need speedway as a sport to progress now...!

16 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Reading between the lines he thinks he should have been in the team but based on his Championship scores over the last 2-3 seasons I’d disagree with him. 

Smith has not progressed in the last couple of seasons ,can’t see what he is complaining about.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Smith has not progressed in the last couple of seasons ,can’t see what he is complaining about.

me neither and somebody pointed that out to him on twitter