British Speedway Forum
Shadders

Berwick vs Sheffield... 18th May

Not sure many speedway fans would miss a meeting to watch Eurovision, lack of consistent fixtures is a problem imo. 

• Like 2

Falling crowds seems to be rather prevalent nationally sadly. Even the forum is devoid of much debate and positivity. 

Summers flying though

• Like 2

2 hours ago, screm said:

Probably the least enjoyable meeting of the season so far, mainly due to the stop start nature to the meeting but fair play to Sheffield who thoroughly deserved their point especially when you consider they were down to five riders for part of the meeting. Dont know about others but I thought the crowd was very poor tonight, take away the kids who were getting in free and there weren't many there at all, coolish night, SGP, Eurovision song contest, no consistent fixtures  etc may have kept some away but crowds will need to increase.

Eurovision? really? I hope that was tongue in cheek. Not much you can do about the length of time it takes to run a meeting like tonight, because of all the accidents. I was actually amazed that none of them required ambulance delays, especially the Kennedy and Etheridge (heat 3) crashes. i actually thought the racing was better tonight, more passes than usual, maybe the rain overnight actually helped the track?

The crowd tonight was very poor. It was more like a typical Berwick Rangers crowd than a speedway crowd. Very concerning given the good start to the season the club have had. Imagine what it would be like if the team was getting beat like Berwick Rangers? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robinh88 said:

Falling crowds seems to be rather prevalent nationally sadly. Even the forum is devoid of much debate and positivity

Summers flying though

Very rarely find a reason to go on to the forum these days because of the depressing nature of a lot of posts. Any sign of a debate and it soon descends into somebody becoming a "troll".

19 minutes ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

Howcome Dennis announced that Jye had withdrawn for him to then appear in heat 14 clearly not fit?

I thought he had said "should he be withdrawn, IRR would come into play"

10 hours ago, screm said:

Probably the least enjoyable meeting of the season so far, mainly due to the stop start nature to the meeting but fair play to Sheffield who thoroughly deserved their point especially when you consider they were down to five riders for part of the meeting. Dont know about others but I thought the crowd was very poor tonight, take away the kids who were getting in free and there weren't many there at all, coolish night, SGP, Eurovision song contest, no consistent fixtures  etc may have kept some away but crowds will need to increase.

I’d say Berwick can count themselves lucky to get a win last night, at one point in the meeting it looked like they where headed for a comfortable victory , credit has to go to Sheffield for a good comeback especially after losing riders and using their T/S . 

With the lack of regular meetings perhaps moving to fortnightly racing would help , at least people would be able to get into the habit of attending. 

11 hours ago, screm said:

I quite enjoyed it certainly one of the better meetings at Shielfield this year Poor crowd but with inclement weather around and a small traveling support it was expected imo 

11 hours ago, topsoil said:

Eurovision? really? I hope that was tongue in cheek. Not much you can do about the length of time it takes to run a meeting like tonight, because of all the accidents. I was actually amazed that none of them required ambulance delays, especially the Kennedy and Etheridge (heat 3) crashes. i actually thought the racing was better tonight, more passes than usual, maybe the rain overnight actually helped the track?

The crowd tonight was very poor. It was more like a typical Berwick Rangers crowd than a speedway crowd. Very concerning given the good start to the season the club have had. Imagine what it would be like if the team was getting beat like Berwick Rangers? 

Of course it was tongue in cheek though its clear there is a significant amount of people who are doing other things other than coming to the speedway each Saturday.

• Like 1

Wasn't a bad meeting considering it was very stop n start. Thought Berwick picked the wrong night for the kids initiative thing as there is no meeting next week should have done it when there is racing on consecutive Saturdays I think 

9 hours ago, screm said:

Of course it was tongue in cheek though its clear there is a significant amount of people who are doing other things other than coming to the speedway each Saturday.

It's scary how much the crowds have dropped off from last season. In spite of a very successful run of results at the end of last season and beginning of this. I hate to think what the crowds would be if the team was losing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, topsoil said:

It's scary how much the crowds have dropped off from last season. In spite of a very successful run of results at the end of last season and beginning of this. I hate to think what the crowds would be if the team was losing. 

Could it be the admission price is too much 

Edited by Tellitasitis

3 hours ago, topsoil said:

Don’t think Berwick are the only Club suffering dwindling crowds and considering the results ,it proves that there are a number of  other reasons for this scenario ,which have already been discussed endlessly on this forum .The negativity is depressing but it can’t all be wrong.IMO.

5 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Don’t think Berwick are the only Club suffering dwindling crowds and considering the results ,it proves that there are a number of  other reasons for this scenario ,which have already been discussed endlessly on this forum .The negativity is depressing but it can’t all be wrong.IMO.

This sums up the forum for me

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Negativity breeds negativity...........why this is when a team is winning? I would hate to read the negativity if the team was losing.

• Like 1