British Speedway Forum
Shadders

Berwick vs Sheffield... 18th May

17 hours ago, balderdash&piffle said:

The main point was I think , that the track was better after heavy rain.  On Saturday cannot comment, as yet again was not in attendance, ..

Couldn't follow meeting on Updates as no Updater, as for the Tweet link IT WAS REALLY REALLY TERRIBLE

Same tweets that are used most weeks for the updates sites. What was wrong with them?

22 hours ago, balderdash&piffle said:

Although it is a good feeling when your team is the winner, it is not the winning that is the important factor,  if you have not been entertained then the win is not the important thing..  Someone noted the racing was better, probably to do with the rain that preceded the meeting,  I would say that the only time the racing is good at Shielfield is when it rained before the meeting. 

2018 saw only 2 very good meetings the 1st meeting against Glasgow and the last meeting against Peterborough, both of which were preceded by quite heavy rain the day before.

I remember two seasons ago when Berwick had a bad start to the season (the time of Lewis Bridger and Dmitri Berge) that a lot of fans were going to stop going because the team was losing. When pointed out to them that the racing was probably the best we had seen for a while at that time, they responded they did not care, all they wanted was the win. Now, apparently, it doesn't matter if you are winning, it all depends on the racing. Speedway fans, don't you just love them?

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Shadders said:

Same tweets that are used most weeks for the updates sites. What was wrong with them?

The first time I had used the Tweets as Proboards could not find a texter.  Proboards Updates are much clearer and engaging than the Tweets, no comparison between the two,  Proboards VERY GOOD, Tweets VERY POOR, in my opinion of course.

13 hours ago, Heedthebaw said:

Heavy rain ! ! Shielfield had no heavy rain at all Friday or Saturday, just a very fine misty drizzle on Saturday morning

The rain over Friday night was persistent until about 6.00 am, light rain during the early morning, and one heavy shower Saturday afternoon.  The heavy rain was in reference to the 2 meetings in 2018, heavy rain on the Friday before both meetings

12 hours ago, penchev said:

The sport needs a massive cash investment, that’s the bottom line , the money is not there therefore the product becomes dilute 

And did Workington not pay for expensive vans and accommodation etc for their riders ? If so that is just financial suicide 

12 hours ago, penchev said:

The sport needs a massive cash investment, that’s the bottom line , the money is not there therefore the product becomes dilute 

And did Workington not pay for expensive vans and accommodation etc for their riders ? If so that is just financial suicide 

Generally no sensible business person would put money into speedway, after 'Due diligence',  it would not make common sense.   As in Glasgow's case you would only invest to save something you enjoy, in essence a Sugar Daddy a person with to much money who does not mind losing some of his pocket money.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, balderdash&piffle said:

The first time I had used the Tweets as Proboards could not find a texter.  Proboards Updates are much clearer and engaging than the Tweets, no comparison between the two,  Proboards VERY GOOD, Tweets VERY POOR, in my opinion of course.

But better than nothing of course. Don’t forget that most weeks Proboards use the exact same tweets copied over, so they’re basically the same. The only difference being the individual score charts. 

Edited by Shadders
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, balderdash&piffle said:

As l wasn't in the country, l used Twitter to get blow-by-blow results on Saturday night.   Did the job fine.   Much faster than Proboards too, of course.  If you want to know the race results even more quickly, you need to actually go to the meeting. 

Edited by crescent girl
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, topsoil said:

I remember two seasons ago when Berwick had a bad start to the season (the time of Lewis Bridger and Dmitri Berge) that a lot of fans were going to stop going because the team was losing. When pointed out to them that the racing was probably the best we had seen for a while at that time, they responded they did not care, all they wanted was the win. Now, apparently, it doesn't matter if you are winning, it all depends on the racing. Speedway fans, don't you just love them?

Great observation!   So true. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, topsoil said:

When Rye House were decimating most teams at home in the mid 2000’s there were very few complaints and crowds were generally around the thousand mark. 

Most promoters would kill for attendances like that these days. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, crescent girl said:

Great observation!   So true. 

I don't believe that was the case, only my opinion though, there are multiple reasons why attendances have fallen ,failure to attract new fans and keep them is one .IMO