British Speedway Forum
GreenLightGo

Photographers in British Speedway

Cannot believe some on here can say it isn't strictly bullying as it was a private WhatsApp group, sorry but it is bullying and it is unacceptable. I'd tend to agree with the posts above that it's a lot of sad, old men who have had it their own way for too long and now they have a bit of competition.

However, and having said all that, if Taylor is getting a leg up because of his dad and Pearson then it's not right. Pearson seems to be slowly taking over all speedway media recently, including these "special" programmes we get for the shared events. I did note in the recent SoN programme that Pearson had something to do with the company that makes them. These jobs for the boys are the kind of crap that speedway could do without, and just carries on from the Terry Russell days. We'll never get fair media now we'll just get whatever Pearson wants.

Whatever the truth is, bullying of a 17 year old child is pathetic, but perhaps not unexpected from some of those involved.

• Like 9

Think it is about time I posted on this thread as some of it seems to be about me.  My name is Ian Adam and I have been a photographer at Glasgow Speedway since 1991 of there abouts.  I first met Taylor Lanning in 2015 as I knew his dad Phil Lanning from many years back at Shawfield Speedway.  His dad asked me as he was interested in photography if he could take some photos on the centre green technically I should have said no as he was only 13/14 at the time but as Phil was a friend I said yes. Phil also asked me for some help in picking cameras and I have pointed him in the right direction in picking up good deals in lenses.  Along these years I have been more that happy to pass onto Taylor tips on how to capture the action and I think now seeing where he is and the quality he is producing my help and training has paid off. Now it appears that according to Phil I have been involved in bullying his son for over two years an allegation that I strongly deny I have never bullied Taylor Lanning if I have where is the evidence.  During this alleged two years bullying Phil and Taylor have shared a table with my family at the Tigers End of Season dance, 4 years running and no mention of bulling was raised at the table I also shared a car with Phil and Taylor to the SON meeting at Belle Vue in 2018 stopping off at Bolton for some lunch again no mention of bullying at any time during the trip.  Phil also arranged for me to obtain a photographer pass for the Dubai Airshow in November 2017 and again no mention of bullying also in December 2018 I attended a Christmas Speedway function with Phil and again no mention of bullying at any time during the day.  I was a member of a UK wide Speedway Photographers WhatsApp group which this season raised concerns about the number of tracks that Phil and Taylor were turning up at and taking photographs at without any prior introduction to the track photographers based there which should be a done as a form of courtesy which now appears to have been an oversight which Nigel Pearson has apologies to all the photographers for, and it may have turned into a bit of a moan fest but I do not see this as a from of bullying as it was not directed at any individuals and it was raised on a private chat group. The poster GreenLightGo seems to know a lot about this situation so I am more that happy to share with them my home phone number and we can have a chat and I will be happy to explain the facts to them and answer their questions I also notice they are a regular at Ashfield again I would be happy to meet them after a meeting at Ashfield and discuss. I believe the management at Glasgow are going to have a full investigation into these serious  allegations, as they should and I commend them caring out this investigation, I have informed them I am more that happy to fully cooperate with this investigation. I will say again I have never bulled Taylor Lanning.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, snapper said:

Think it is about time I posted on this thread as some of it seems to be about me.  My name is Ian Adam and I have been a photographer at Glasgow Speedway since 1991 of there abouts.  I first met Taylor Lanning in 2015 as I knew his dad Phil Lanning from many years back at Shawfield Speedway.  His dad asked me as he was interested in photography if he could take some photos on the centre green technically I should have said no as he was only 13/14 at the time but as Phil was a friend I said yes. Phil also asked me for some help in picking cameras and I have pointed him in the right direction in picking up good deals in lenses.  Along these years I have been more that happy to pass onto Taylor tips on how to capture the action and I think now seeing where he is and the quality he is producing my help and training has paid off. Now it appears that according to Phil I have been involved in bullying his son for over two years an allegation that I strongly deny I have never bullied Taylor Lanning if I have where is the evidence.  During this alleged two years bullying Phil and Taylor have shared a table with my family at the Tigers End of Season dance, 4 years running and no mention of bulling was raised at the table I also shared a car with Phil and Taylor to the SON meeting at Belle Vue in 2018 stopping off at Bolton for some lunch again no mention of bullying at any time during the trip.  Phil also arranged for me to obtain a photographer pass for the Dubai Airshow in November 2017 and again no mention of bullying also in December 2018 I attended a Christmas Speedway function with Phil and again no mention of bullying at any time during the day.  I was a member of a UK wide Speedway Photographers WhatsApp group which this season raised concerns about the number of tracks that Phil and Taylor were turning up at and taking photographs at without any prior introduction to the track photographers based there which should be a done as a form of courtesy which now appears to have been an oversight which Nigel Pearson has apologies to all the photographers for, and it may have turned into a bit of a moan fest but I do not see this as a from of bullying as it was not directed at any individuals and it was raised on a private chat group. The poster GreenLightGo seems to know a lot about this situation so I am more that happy to share with them my home phone number and we can have a chat and I will be happy to explain the facts to them and answer their questions I also notice they are a regular at Ashfield again I would be happy to meet them after a meeting at Ashfield and discuss. I believe the management at Glasgow are going to have a full investigation into these serious  allegations, as they should and I commend them caring out this investigation, I have informed them I am more that happy to fully cooperate with this investigation. I will say again I have never bulled Taylor Lanning.

Good on you to have taken the time to put that all down, however.. i think you will get asked a few questions here.

From me tho, I'm astounded that you or whoever in your whatsapp group that was grizzling about "courtesy" has got the cheek to even expect that.  With respect, i presume none of you are employees of the club, so perhaps your ire should have been aimed at your club who gave them access rather than having some kind of hissy fit which has turned into all this. 

The posts shared on twitter tonight allude to some of your group objecting to use of photoshop which is very different to your "courtesy" issue mentioned here. If they've genuinely got a problem with something that is used in almost every sphere of photography now, then you lot might aswell stick your gear on ebay as photo editing software isn't going anywhere is it ?

Whatever the case may be, none of you, whatever your back-peddling and justification , comes out of this looking very good at all and i think you've all tarnished whatever reputations you had within the sport - which is a shame. 

• Thanks 1

GreenLight Go - I am not one of the seven, you refer to, as you will see in my original post last week where I posted my name. I am not hiding behind an alias.

I got the information from a former senior official, but will not name him as i do not have permission to do so.

You should always look at the root cause of a problem. That is what you ultimately have to deal with to stop things like this happening and unless you solve that the same could happen again.

I have said that bullying is wrong and do not condone it.

Bill Purnell

Edited by edmon
delete double use of words 'have to'
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, snapper said:

Thank you Ian Adam for at least coming back and giving your side. I have attended various fan meetings and have seen how passionate you are about this great club. 

I have my personal reasons about why I loathe bullies so much. I am not involved in the situation or “in the know”.

Your explanation on the surface looks very plausible but on second read throws up a whole bunch of questions that you might want to address.

- IF you have a fantastic relationship with the laddie and his father and this whole matter is a simple misunderstanding, then why has he named you a couple of times in public posts? And repeatably? 

- IF this is a misunderstanding then have you had a conversation with Lanning Senior about it directly (in the same fashion as you have publicly above) and resolved it? You and him must fall over each other at Ashfield.

-Can you explain why you put #amow on some of your tweets which I understand to be ‘all my own work’ - a blatant dig at the laddie whom you all accuse of not doing his own stuff. Is this not a form of bullying?

- Is not being ‘formally introduced’ to the track photographers really a reason for behaviour like this? (I didn’t realise you were all so sensitive)

- IF Nigel Pearson is sending his team members to the different tracks then what business is this of yours and your WhatsApp buddies?

- IF you were all so unhappy - did you go to the BSPA to make these issues known? If not then why not?

What you outline as a ‘moanfest’ is a lot more than that. Same goes to #amow. To me, you are back peddling like mad on this as a poster outlines above.

Let’s hope the investigations ongoing flush out what has really happened.

Appreciate you coming on here though

• Like 1

1 hour ago, edmon said:

GreenLight Go - I am not one of the seven, you refer to, as you will see in my original post last week where I posted my name. I am not hiding behind an alias.

I got the information from a former senior official, but will not name him as i do not have permission to do so.

You should always look at the root cause of a problem. That is what you have to ultimately have to deal with to stop things like this happening and unless you solve that the same could happen again.

I have said that bullying is wrong and do not condone it.

Bill Purnell

Thank you Bill Purnell

Shame you didn’t cover the previous posts questions. 

Do we have an underage photographer operating without validity?

Has someone issued a licence at the BSPA breaking their own rules?

One for Ian Adam perhaps? Is this another reason For the behaviour Ian? 

Edited by GreenLightGo

I think a few people need to take a breath for a minute and just think through what they are saying. I understand emotions are running high, but from the outside looking in, this looks a lot like trial by social media. 

All I ever hear on this forum is that people are entitled these days to their opinion. From what I can see some people have expressed their opinion in private. Whether you agree, disagree, whatever? is expressing your opinion in private bullying? I don't know I guess society will tell us.  If that is not the case then maybe Phil Lanning should make public what he keeps threatening to on twitter as at the moment the some of us are struggling to see the reason for what is becoming a social media lynch mob. I'm finding it very difficult to see clearly through all the mud, and I'm trying to be rational rather than emotional. I understand completely the desire to protect your son as Jonny the Spud alluded to. But if you want to slaughter people publicly for something they have done in private I think care needs to be taken to make sure people are not over reacting. It's difficult to have an opinion when you don't know all the "facts" and no doubt people will disagree with this one. But does that make it a hanging offence? I don't know. I just think a few people need to take a breath , take a step back and count to 10 first.

5 minutes ago, wtf said:

I think a few people need to take a breath for a minute and just think through what they are saying. I understand emotions are running high, but from the outside looking in, this looks a lot like trial by social media. 

All I ever hear on this forum is that people are entitled these days to their opinion. From what I can see some people have expressed their opinion in private. Whether you agree, disagree, whatever? is expressing your opinion in private bullying? I don't know I guess society will tell us.  If that is not the case then maybe Phil Lanning should make public what he keeps threatening to on twitter as at the moment the some of us are struggling to see the reason for what is becoming a social media lynch mob. I'm finding it very difficult to see clearly through all the mud, and I'm trying to be rational rather than emotional. I understand completely the desire to protect your son as Jonny the Spud alluded to. But if you want to slaughter people publicly for something they have done in private I think care needs to be taken to make sure people are not over reacting. It's difficult to have an opinion when you don't know all the "facts" and no doubt people will disagree with this one. But does that make it a hanging offence? I don't know. I just think a few people need to take a breath , take a step back and count to 10 first.

Thanks for that.

its irrelevant that it’s private or not. And besides it isn’t private - it’s very much public. 

Plus as I have stated above many times - it isn’t just comments. It’s beyond that. 

It isn’t trial by social media at all. 

It will all come out in the wash as I understand it’s under investigation by the BSPA. Let’s hope it gets sorted officially. 

6 minutes ago, GreenLightGo said:

Thanks for that.

its irrelevant that it’s private or not. And besides it isn’t private - it’s very much public. 

Plus as I have stated above many times - it isn’t just comments. It’s beyond that. 

It isn’t trial by social media at all. 

It will all come out in the wash as I understand it’s under investigation by the BSPA. Let’s hope it gets sorted officially. 

As i said before GreenLightGo you seem to know lots about this matter so here are a couple of questions for you, I will go on and answer your questions on your previous post.

You say that "it isn't just comments Its beyond that" can you please explain what

You also say "its under investigation by the BSPA" can you explain this as when I asked them last week about this that said they did not know anything about this alleged investigation

1 hour ago, GreenLightGo said:

Thank you Ian Adam for at least coming back and giving your side. I have attended various fan meetings and have seen how passionate you are about this great club. 

I have my personal reasons about why I loathe bullies so much. I am not involved in the situation or “in the know”.

Your explanation on the surface looks very plausible but on second read throws up a whole bunch of questions that you might want to address.

- IF you have a fantastic relationship with the laddie and his father and this whole matter is a simple misunderstanding, then why has he named you a couple of times in public posts? And repeatably? 

- IF this is a misunderstanding then have you had a conversation with Lanning Senior about it directly (in the same fashion as you have publicly above) and resolved it? You and him must fall over each other at Ashfield.

-Can you explain why you put #amow on some of your tweets which I understand to be ‘all my own work’ - a blatant dig at the laddie whom you all accuse of not doing his own stuff. Is this not a form of bullying?

- Is not being ‘formally introduced’ to the track photographers really a reason for behaviour like this? (I didn’t realise you were all so sensitive)

- IF Nigel Pearson is sending his team members to the different tracks then what business is this of yours and your WhatsApp buddies?

- IF you were all so unhappy - did you go to the BSPA to make these issues known? If not then why not?

What you outline as a ‘moanfest’ is a lot more than that. Same goes to #amow. To me, you are back peddling like mad on this as a poster outlines above.

Let’s hope the investigations ongoing flush out what has really happened.

Appreciate you coming on here though

Hi GreenLightGo I will answer your questions as best I can but since you know who I am it would be nice to know your actual name or do you have something to hide?

I don't believe that Phil has mentioned my name just "2 Glasgow Photographers" so it may not actually be me who is being accused of bullying

I have tried calling Phil but he refused to answer my calls

The hash tag AMOW was a stupid idea on my part because one of the problems that surface in the WhatsApp group was the fact that over the past few seasons it appears that Phil has been taking photos at meetings and posting them under Taylors name which seems a strange thing to do there is strong evidence to prove this such as crash photos from two different angles and funnily a photo by Taylor with Taylor in the background.  But again AMOW was a silly mistake on my part and others.

I always think it is courteous to say hello to a track photographer when attending his/her track but maybe that is just old school, if you were visiting a difference workplace in line of your work would you  not introduce yourself

Again see the answer above

Maybe the photographers should have spoken to the BSPA about this problem that may be a fault on all parties here

As i said in my first post I am more than happy to sit down with you and answer your questions

Speedway , we don't need publicity...………….

A sticky situation , I admire Taylor Lannings work and all this trouble may have been preventable but the goodwill of people early in his photographic career may have been to his cost.

I take the odd photo at events but its mainly speedway where all the hassle occurs rightly or wrongly.:rolleyes:

The front covers on the last two weeks of the Speedway Star have been great.

Edited by topaz325

I am sure the two named photographers at Leicester will be spoken to again and reminded that this has to stop straight away and if they have any grievances then they should raise it with the club and Nigel Pearson 

• Like 1

it certainly isn't a "UK wide Speedway Photographers WhatsApp group", just a clique

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, snapper said:

Hi GreenLightGo I will answer your questions as best I can but since you know who I am it would be nice to know your actual name or do you have something to hide?

I don't believe that Phil has mentioned my name just "2 Glasgow Photographers" so it may not actually be me who is being accused of bullying

I have tried calling Phil but he refused to answer my calls

The hash tag AMOW was a stupid idea on my part because one of the problems that surface in the WhatsApp group was the fact that over the past few seasons it appears that Phil has been taking photos at meetings and posting them under Taylors name which seems a strange thing to do there is strong evidence to prove this such as crash photos from two different angles and funnily a photo by Taylor with Taylor in the background.  But again AMOW was a silly mistake on my part and others.

I always think it is courteous to say hello to a track photographer when attending his/her track but maybe that is just old school, if you were visiting a difference workplace in line of your work would you  not introduce yourself

Again see the answer above

Maybe the photographers should have spoken to the BSPA about this problem that may be a fault on all parties here

As i said in my first post I am more than happy to sit down with you and answer your questions

Thanks Ian. I have no problem giving you some personal info as I have nothing to hide. My name is Robert Robb and I live close to Dumbarton. Been a Tigers fan for a long time. Thanks for the offer of a personal chat but I’m not sure how that helps inform others as to what’s happening.

pleased you have owned up to the #amow and whilst you are doing your best to mitigate it as ‘silly’ - it’s really rather sinister and bullying. Especially when a good number of you are in on it.

You are not an employee of Glasgow Speedway so this idea of formal introduction is a bit of a nonsense. If a new photographer appears then they have been cleared by the promotion - why then do they need your permission? 

BTW Phil Lanning HAS mentioned your name and I don’t blame him not taking your calls. But why call him when he’s there at the same time as you? 

Personally speaking you seem to be self justifying your actions and those of others when I think a public apology to the laddie is overdue.

i get the feeling you feel validated in your actions and you were ‘simply trying to help’

i think a lot of people think otherwise Ian 

Bob

10 minutes ago, stevehone said:

it certainly isn't a "UK wide Speedway Photographers WhatsApp group", just a clique

Not a strong one as surely someone has blurted stuff that was ‘private’ ?