British Speedway Forum
GreenLightGo

Photographers in British Speedway

6 hours ago, Phil The Ace said:

Not sure the best idea is to have it out on a public forum or even social media for that matter. It has nowt to do with us. 

In the meantime I'm grabbing my popcorn

Well the post on Twitter will always get more attention when a rider RT's it! ;)Sounds like Phil thought sorting it out in private wasn't working so decided to see if making it public would help. 

15 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Well the post on Twitter will always get more attention when a rider RT's it! ;)Sounds like Phil thought sorting it out in private wasn't working so decided to see if making it public would help. 

Maybe there was no intention of ‘sorting it out in private’ and a different agenda lies behind it all

Not answering phone calls, doesn’t sound like an intention to sort things out in private to me

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1

Speedway is a very small pond. Making enemies at such a young age may not be the best route. 

I wonder if this has backfired and should have been kept private 

• Like 5

This is not a new issue. I know of 3 photographers at various tracks who were subject to the same treatment by ‘old guard’ and things were made difficult for them. One had even introduced a new media contact that helped a club with publicity and was still treated badly by ‘old guard’. Two have gone on to be pretty successful photographers away from speedway. This was maybe 7-10 years ago.

As others have also alluded to, there is currently a young lady at Berwick who has received similar problems at some tracks. She too deserves better.

Maybe this being raised now could help the likes of Taylor, ‘Berwick girl (not up to me to name her) and any other youngsters start and develop (scuse the bad pun) in photographing the sport.

It could do damage if not quickly tackled head on though. I am aware of 3 names of the ‘accused’ and one in particular I find hard to believe as I always found him a good guy.  It needs sorted out for both sides and its past the ‘banging their heads together’ stage. I also think it has come too far to be sorted out behind closed doors as innocent parties may be tainted

pity it’s taken so long to come to the fore and needed a so called connected name to be brought out into the open but it needs sorted

• Like 1

It's so blatantly obvious who is who here.

Seriously, sort it out behind closed doors.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, acef said:

It's so blatantly obvious who is who here.

Seriously, sort it out behind closed doors.

It’s bloody ridiculous when you know who bought it to public attention too. Trying to get sympathy then more and more stuff comes to light. 

Laughable, and probably won’t end well. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jonny the spud said:

It’s bloody ridiculous when you know who bought it to public attention too. Trying to get sympathy then more and more stuff comes to light. 

Laughable, and probably won’t end well. 

There is a lot of noise. Honestly I expect it'll go away when they eventually decide to sit down together and behave like grown ups and deal with it.

A really nice summary though, of the absolute mess that British Speedway currently is.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2019 at 11:09 AM, GreenLightGo said:

I don’t think you get it at all. The #amow is putting the laddie down isn’t it?

Apologies if I don’t act as your researcher - have a look yourself. 

In the topic of the ‘formal introduction’ you keep referring to it in a work context - it isn’t. It’s a glorified hobby isn’t it?! Let’s not kid ourselves it’s anything more. I can’t imagine anyone’s making money at all. 

it looks like we’ll have to agree to disagree Ian. You think you are entirely blameless and it was a huge misunderstanding. Not much point in debating any further. 

Thanks

Bob 

I posted before asking how Taylor was being bullied and looked up the amow reference as you suggested. I didn't get anywhere other than finding tweets by 2 photographers but no mention of Taylor. Having read more posts is the problem that a group of photographers are making it clear that all there photos are all my own work whilst suggesting that Phil lanning is responsible for some of Taylors. If this is true how is that bullying. And how can people including me say they love Taylors work when it might be Phil that took the photo. Have to agree this could have been dealt with better and also feel that Ian Adams posts have helped me understand what is going on 

• Like 1

Think several riders are going to come out of this looking pretty stupid pinning their flags to the mast on twitter without even considering that there may be two sides to any story. 

FWIW and whilst I will never condone bullying, I can absolutely understand the frustration of some of the established photographers. Taylor seems like a great kid, but his name has got him into places others wouldn’t. Lanning is the name it seems matters when it comes to media publications for the sport and they have a decent relationship with Pearson, the man who counts in that respect.

Does that seem like a bit of a clique, yes I think it does and I would be overly impressed with it.

From what I’ve seen so far, it doesn’t look like bullying to me. Like I said I’d never condone actual bullying but I don’t think that is what is happening here.

• Like 1

And what about what has happened to the Berwick lass whose surname isn’t

Lanning?

8 hours ago, Lioness said:

8 hours ago, Lioness said:

And what about what has happened to the Berwick lass whose surname isn’t

Lanning?

Presumably she has acted maturely and dealt with the matter privately. 

Edited by SharpenRake

Unlike those who have made life difficult for her and tried to edge her out you mean?

Well as you seem to be the one dragging that particular episode into the public arena it looks like it may not now be private. 

Is she ok with you doing so on her behalf ?