British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

Ivan Mauger. Belle Vue. 1969/72

I was going through some of my programmes and speedway stars god how good was Ivan from 1969/72.?? for me they were his peak years. I went through all of Ivan's maximums and paid maximums in that period ( BL fixtures only) and the stats are unbelievable.I think Ove, Briggo, Ole all had oustanding records but if i hazarded a guess Hans Nielsen would come the  closest to Ivan for maximums in his peak Oxford racing years.IVAN'S stats  B.L fixtures only. ) 1969-  21.maximums- 3- paid.     1970- 17.maximums- 2-paid.      1971- 17.maximums-3-paid.       1972- 16.maximums-4paid.    We all know what a great rider Ivan was i just wish i had of seen him at Hyde Rd in this period but luckily i got to see him ride quite alot LEGEND.

• Like 1

The greatest rider there is no doubt Sid. I wish that I had seen more of him but in those days when teams generally only visited once a year you took what opportunities you could and I remember we travelled to Reading's final meeting of 1972 just to watch the great man. I got to see him perhaps three or four times a year thereafter and it was always a pleasure...even to boo him!

Absolute sporting legend!!

I will never ever forget his time up at Newcastle racing in a Diamonds race jacket. His battles against Ivor Brown and Charlie Monk were momentous and always full of drama putting it mildly. He really was a true star in every sense of the word.

The only time we ever got faintly worried about him would be the pre race announcement (.....and Mauger's coming out on the track spare) which did happen from time to time even though he was absolutely meticulous about his bikes!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

The greatest rider there is no doubt Sid. I wish that I had seen more of him but in those days when teams generally only visited once a year you took what opportunities you could and I remember we travelled to Reading's final meeting of 1972 just to watch the great man. I got to see him perhaps three or four times a year thereafter and it was always a pleasure...even to boo him!

He got booed at the abbey Steve on a regular basis but i am sure the great man took it as a compliment and took it in his stride.Looking back to that 1970 season, a miracle happened at Wimbledon Ivan had two 5.1s against him by the  Hedge/ Tebby and Moore/Maidment  partnerships unheard of.Also my recollection of Ivan riding for Exeter was he was awesome for them to at that time you could see he had took the sport to a more professional level.He turned up with a superb van,  gleaming leathers and immaculate aquipment so proud that i see him ride a real pleasure.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

Saw a Belle Vue v Sheffield KO Cup tie in 1969 and Bengt Larsson beat the great man from the back and Arnie Haley did the same in the second half in the Silver Sash match race. That didn't happen very often!

Remember Geoff mudge passing the great man in a world championship qr at Poole in 1969 and Reidar eide and John langfield getting a 5-1 over him in 1971 , apart from these he was virtually unbeatable at Poole,even Simmons at his best always got beaten,  he broke the track record in 1975 with Simmons up his exhaust pipe,it wasn't,t till his latter hull days that he became beatable.

44 minutes ago, Chadster said:

Saw a Belle Vue v Sheffield KO Cup tie in 1969 and Bengt Larsson beat the great man from the back and Arnie Haley did the same in the second half in the Silver Sash match race. That didn't happen very often!

Great night with Sheffield winning as well

2 hours ago, Tracy Bird said:

Remember Geoff mudge passing the great man in a world championship qr at Poole in 1969 and Reidar eide and John langfield getting a 5-1 over him in 1971 , apart from these he was virtually unbeatable at Poole,even Simmons at his best always got beaten,  he broke the track record in 1975 with Simmons up his exhaust pipe,it wasn't,t till his latter hull days that he became beatable.

Remember it well as I was there whilst on holiday in the area.

2 hours ago, Chadster said:

Remember seeing some real old 'ding dongs' during some second half finals...great days and memories!

Totally right i think Bob Paulson beat Ivan in heat 1 for Sheffield at Hyde Rd  and Geoff Mudge beat him home/away not easy to do.

I remember an altercation with Ivan and Malcolm Ballard at Cowley (1973) over a starting offence?

Edited by steve roberts

Didn't Ivan have a fantastic league average in 1975 for Exeter? Or is my memory playing tricks

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bruno said:

Didn't Ivan have a fantastic league average in 1975 for Exeter? Or is my memory playing tricks

I recall that he went on a crash diet that year and his league form was superlative.

On 5/16/2019 at 5:18 AM, Sidney the robin said:

I was going through some of my programmes and speedway stars god how good was Ivan from 1969/72.?? for me they were his peak years. I went through all of Ivan's maximums and paid maximums in that period ( BL fixtures only) and the stats are unbelievable.I think Ove, Briggo, Ole all had oustanding records but if i hazarded a guess Hans Nielsen would come the  closest to Ivan for maximums in his peak Oxford racing years.IVAN'S stats  B.L fixtures only. ) 1969-  21.maximums- 3- paid.     1970- 17.maximums- 2-paid.      1971- 17.maximums-3-paid.       1972- 16.maximums-4paid.    We all know what a great rider Ivan was i just wish i had of seen him at Hyde Rd in this period but luckily i got to see him ride quite alot LEGEND.

I think that you are right about Ivan’s extraordinary dominance in those years Sid, but the thing that always intrigues me is what if Ivan had been born 5 years earlier or the “Big Five “ Of Ove , Briggs, Moore , Craven and Knutson had been born 5 years later.

The thing is when Fundin, Briggs , Craven, Moore  , and later Knutson were at there peaks they always had each other to have to beat.. In the years you mention Fundin Craven and Knutson were no longer around , Moore was just coming back from a six year retirement and both he and Briggo were in their mid to later thirties and just starting to be past their best . Ivan though, in those years was in the age range 29- 33 , just about the point when most speedway riders were at the peak of their powers. 

Its all speculation of course, but I don’t think Ivan would have been as dominant if he had to deal with the other 5 at their peaks on a regular basis.  Good though Olsen was, I don’t think he was in the same class as Fundin etc.

What are your thoughts on this?

Edited by E I Addio
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, E I Addio said:

I think that you are right about Ivan’s extraordinary dominance in those years Sid, but the thing that always intrigues me is what if Ivan had been born 5 years earlier or the “Big Five “ Of Ove , Briggs, Moore , Craven and Knutson had been born 5 years later.

The thing is when Fundin, Briggs , Craven, Moore  , and later Knutson were at there peaks they always had each other to have to beat.. In the years you mention Fundin Craven and Knutson were no longer around , Moore was just coming back from a six year retirement and both he and Briggo were in their mid to later thirties and just starting to be past their best . Ivan though, in those years was in the age range 29- 33 , just about the point when most speedway riders were at the peak of their powers. 

Its all speculation of course, but I don’t think Ivan would have been as dominant if he had to deal with the other 5 at their peaks on a regular basis.  Good though Olsen was, I don’t think he was in the same class as Fundin etc.

What are your thoughts on this?

Stop talking sense; anyone (on the BSF, anyway) will tell you how EVERYONE was world-class back then...

Steve