British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Col

Slovenian GP 01/06

10 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

WHERE would the money come from?

No idea about financing TBH , you have to speculate to accumulate though , IMHO   BSI  have made more than enough and largely crippled league speedway in the process ,so maybe time to dig deep and invest some of it back in ,

4 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

And he showed in 1983 on the day even in his own back yard that he could deal with pressure and win a World Final.For many rider's now that opportunity will never be there and as others have pointed out there are six/eight riders who will never win a series .None of us are saying the series is in a bad way it could be in danger of going stale and needs freshening up.Also is Muller qualifying for all those world finals all those years ago any different to some of these mediocre Countries we have in Football World cup's and average sides in European Now.?

Not sure what other sports have to do with it . The bottom line is Muller only made World Finals due to  a  stupid and unfair system .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, orion said:

Not sure what other sports have to do with it . The bottom line is Muller only made World Finals due to  a  stupid and unfair system .

So are you telling me that Muller was not a world class speedway rider? when asked Mauger, Briggs,Collins( ect)  they all say different were they all wrong.?

• Like 1

Muller definitely was a world class speedway rider, and with a very professional approach. Obviously more top class in the world of long track, but defo no slouch at speedway. Obviously he grabbed an opportunity when the world speedway final was in Germany, rose to the occasion and having a partisan crowd he pulled off what many an aspiring speedway rider has failed to do.  Got to give respect where its due.

yeah in fairness Muller was the only of the continental riders in that era who was genuinely in the top 20 riders in the world. Look at the riders he finished ahead of in 81 at Wembley. 

Would never have got close to being world champ under a gp system though. 

3 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

So are you telling me that Muller was not a world class speedway rider? when asked Mauger, Briggs,Collins( ect)  they all say different were they all wrong.?

I am saying he would not have made it in a fair system ..the point  is not really about Muller but more about old speedway fans  moaning about the GP'S system when the old system was one of the worst and unfair you could have .

2 hours ago, waiheke1 said:

yeah in fairness Muller was the only of the continental riders in that era who was genuinely in the top 20 riders in the world. Look at the riders he finished ahead of in 81 at Wembley. 

Would never have got close to being world champ under a gp system though. 

With two/three rounds in Germany and others on big tracks who knows? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, orion said:

I am saying he would not have made it in a fair system ..the point  is not really about Muller but more about old speedway fans  moaning about the GP'S system when the old system was one of the worst and unfair you could have .

Nobody has moaned about the GP series just saying it might need freshening up a bit.I would also say the old system was not the best but at least more riders had a shot at trying to fulfill there dreams that is not the case now.And what annoys me is that league racing certainly in the U.K was aloud to take the brunt of the series and over the years have not been compensated in monetary terms.

Did anybody travel out to this one? What is the best suggested routes fly to Zagreb then hire a car? How are the border crossings etc

3 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Did anybody travel out to this one? What is the best suggested routes fly to Zagreb then hire a car? How are the border crossings etc

Been several times - lovely country

Ljubljana is the best to fly to - i have also flown to Trieste, which is very near the Slovenian border. If driving on the motorway in Slovenia you have to buy a Vignette(toll card) for the duration of the stay.

best place to stay by far is https://www.terme-catez.si/en/catez/accommodations/hotel-terme    which is around 10 miles from the track.

If you can spare a few days in Slovenia Lake Bled is a must place to visit along with https://www.postojnska-jama.eu/en/   the caves are wonderful.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Went to this with a couple of friends. We flew in Ljubljana mid afternoon Friday from Stansted and stayed there for the duration.

We caught the train to Krsko at 12:50, one change with a small wait and we arrived at the track after a 15/20 minute walk from the station around 2:35. Some beautiful scenary on the train if that’s your thing and easy to understand.

Taxi back to Ljubljana after racing was slightly more difficult, but doable and safe enough - I’ll definitely revisit. 

• Thanks 1

Here's an open-ended question for any of you regular speedway travelers . . .

For a somewhat naive American couple . . . what's the best Speedway GP venue to visit on a 'first time trip'? We're thinking European mainland (as opposed to the U.K.).

You're all going to laugh and roll your eyes at me; because, unfortunately, we don't speak any European languages. LOL. We just love Speedway GPs and want to experience one in person.

Dan

30 minutes ago, BFMDan said:

Here's an open-ended question for any of you regular speedway travelers . . .

For a somewhat naive American couple . . . what's the best Speedway GP venue to visit on a 'first time trip'? We're thinking European mainland (as opposed to the U.K.).

You're all going to laugh and roll your eyes at me; because, unfortunately, we don't speak any European languages. LOL. We just love Speedway GPs and want to experience one in person.

Dan

TORUN would probably be top of most people's list

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

TORUN would probably be top of most people's list

Or Wroclaw 2020 or Warsaw 2020

Edited by racers and royals

The problem with Torun if it remains the final GP is that the championship is often decided by the time it comes around.  If the 2020 calendar remains the similar to this years then had I not visited before, Wroclaw would top my list.  While I will likely contradict this myself by going to Prague in 2020, I'd certainly choose a Polish hosted GP.  In comparison to living in the US Scandinavia is expensive (unless you're from New York).

Fear not.  I can't speak anything but English, never had a problem communicating with the locals anywhere in Europe (except Paris).

Edited by Col