British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Col

Slovenian GP 01/06

Tai having a little moan about lack of practice for this meeting,did Zmarslik not miss practice too.They knew the rules before season started so should have told their clubs where to go but money rules even for aWorld Champion.Poles have the sport by the “short and curlies”.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Tai having a little moan about lack of practice for this meeting,did Zmarslik not miss practice too.They knew the rules before season started so should have told their clubs where to go but money rules even for aWorld Champion.Poles have the sport by the “short and curlies”.

those who lose will have a little moan.    who cares as the riders are earning big money to ride on Friday and it may even out.     Should a Polish rider have a chance of being Champion with 2 or 3 GP's remaining I wonder what fixtures are set for Friday night. 

Edited by Mark

5 hours ago, Mark said:

those who lose will have a little moan.    who cares as the riders are earning big money to ride on Friday and it may even out.     Should a Polish rider have a chance of being Champion with 2 or 3 GP's remaining I wonder what fixtures are set for Friday night. 

I was told on this thread last Saturday afternoon by CB252 that any Pole would rather see their team win their league championship then a Pole winning the world championship.  So irrespective if with 2or3 GP’s to go Poles are 1,2,3 it should not affect Friday night fixtures.

On 6/3/2019 at 1:07 PM, waiheke1 said:

yeah in fairness Muller was the only of the continental riders in that era who was genuinely in the top 20 riders in the world. Look at the riders he finished ahead of in 81 at Wembley. 

Would never have got close to being world champ under a gp system though. 

This may sound daft, but I think he was actually past his best when he won it. Certainly in the mid-to late 70s, he would have a strong case for being in the world's elite. After that, I think he was on the fringes at best. There is scant evidence from World Speedway in or around that time, except for the Norden World Final which you can hold up as evidence that he was one of the very best.

It was just that everything was geared up for a Muller win for that final - his superior GM machinery, access to practice on the circuit, input into track preparation. He was also effectively seeded through with a place reserved for the leading German from the much easier continental rounds. Aside from those who battled through from the tougher (intercontinental) half, I'd have the Moran bros, Knudsen, Crump, Andersson, Schwartz, PC all above him at that time.  

In short, the 83 championship is probably the poorest example to choose if you were still advocating the one off World Final as the best model. For me, a backwater venue, a daytime lack of occasion feel, a tailored track and a result that didn't accurately reflect the very best in the sport, that was the beginning of the end of the World Final right there. Certainly 20 or even 10 years earlier places like Bradford, Pocking, Vojens and Amsterdam were unimaginable as World Final venues, but after Norden, the bar had been forever lowered.

Edited by falcace
  • Like 2

On 6/2/2019 at 9:17 AM, Bagpuss said:

there are too many riders knocking around who have been in and out for years but will never win it ie Lindback, Iversen, Kolodziej, Zagar, Sayfutdinov etc and it’s all a bit samey. 

All of those are capable of winning a GP. Had he not perked up in recent years, people would have had Lindgren in the same bracket. Ditto Andreas Jonsson before he had a stormer of a year and finished second. Did you also find it a bit samey when riders like Phil Crump, Shawn Moran, Soren Sjosten, Chris Morton, Kai Niemi, Jan Andersson make lots of world finals and not win any?

That's sport, not everyone can win, but you need those contenders to fully appreciate the winners. A few years ago, all those sprinters had no chance against Usain Bolt, but seeing the best of the rest trailing in his wake is what made the spectacle.

• Like 2

Before my time but probably. At least then though it was one final and not a ten round series so not quite as samey. 

Its not the fault of those samey riders, if the likes of Milik, Lebedevs, Fricke and others who would freshen the series can’t qualify by right then that’s their hard luck. I don’t want the series to feel stale but with the same tracks and riders it just does unfortunately.