British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bagpuss

Belle Vue v King’s Lynn 16/05/19

Every time I see a race like that at the NSS I secretly thank Chris Morton.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Garry1603 said:

Secretly ?   I think every speedway should thank him.   This achievement should be shouted from the highest pedestal .      He was the person who knew want needed to be done..:t:

• Like 4

I know this is speedway and that working together is a foreign concept. However, you would think that those who have recently built a new track, those who have made alterations to try to improve their tracks and those who had good racing tracks and have managed to make them into one racing line tracks might all be knocking on Chris's door asking for advice. Maybe they have but they've kept it very quiet if they have.

They haven’t. 

There’s an alternative universe where Mort & Gordon are still running the NSS whilst helping clubs with track prep etc and advising on dealing with local councils re keeping open or opening up speedway circuits. Buster is just back to selling pegs and lucky heather. 

I need a wormhole. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

I know this is speedway and that working together is a foreign concept. However, you would think that those who have recently built a new track, those who have made alterations to try to improve their tracks and those who had good racing tracks and have managed to make them into one racing line tracks might all be knocking on Chris's door asking for advice. Maybe they have but they've kept it very quiet if they have.

Buster listening to others :rofl::rofl::rofl:

He is the saviour you know, the god of Speedway, the only one who knows the way beyond all others :oops:

Although I'm a Stars fan, he has single handedly killed my love of racing at the AFA. I'll no longer allow any of my pennies to finance his pocket. 

He produces the most boring racing, boring atmosphere, the most lengthy tractor racing of any other tracks in the country. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When it came to the track design at the NSS, I wonder if there had been detailed plans retained about the Hyde Road track (length / width of track, gradients etc) or did Mort just design it from memory?  Also, did he take into account the different aspects of the bikes these days?

Either way,  he did a fantastic job. 

• Like 1

I heard Mort visited other good race tracks looking at ideas. Toruń was mentioned IIRC, and we know what a good race track that is.

• Like 1

Mort went to various tracks all over Europe watching races on them. He took bits of the track from all he saw and put it together in 1 track. Which is now the NSS and voalaaa 

Incidentally. He made sure he designed the track first and have the stadium fit around it. Others fit a track inside a stadium. Morts way is deffo best 

• Like 5

I recall that there were a fair few on here criticising the trips that Chris and David made as pointless jollies. :D

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

I recall that there were a fair few on here criticising the trips that Chris and David made as pointless jollies. :D

I'm sure they enjoyed an ice cream or 2 while on there jollies TBH ;)

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 3:16 PM, Phil The Ace said:

Mort went to various tracks all over Europe watching races on them. He took bits of the track from all he saw and put it together in 1 track. Which is now the NSS and voalaaa 

Incidentally. He made sure he designed the track first and have the stadium fit around it. Others fit a track inside a stadium. Morts way is deffo best 

Which part did Mort copy from Lynn. ?   :wink:  

Serious though, everyone is so envious of the racing regularly seen at the NSS.   Just hope that Buster never gets his grubby hand on the purse strings, when he would instantly swap that proper  shale  for that sticky mess we have at AFA,  EESG and Foxhall,  where grippy tracks and G&G processions are guaranteed.

Edited by g13webb
  • Like 1

On 5/20/2019 at 6:07 AM, g13webb said:

Secretly ?   I think every speedway should thank him.   This achievement should be shouted from the highest pedestal .      He was the person who knew want needed to be done..:t:

Totally agree Mort should be applauded he was treated terribly and i would love to see him  back involved in speedway again a great guy to.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 6

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 11:33 PM, Garry1603 said:

I think the much maligned David Gordon deserves as much credit as Mort does. 

For all that happened at Belle Vue during their tenure, the NSS simply wouldn't exist without their combined effort and determination - and that was in the face of a great deal of scepticism, cynicism and downright abuse from right across the speedway spectrum, from members of this forum to other promotions. I got told that one prominent member of the BSPA was especially dismissive. 

I remember getting a lot of flak for buying one of the bricks that were sold at the time the stadium was conceived. I can say quite honestly that every time I go into the grandstand now I view it with great pride and pleasure.

It is sad that - and I stand to be corrected here - neither Gordon nor Morton attend Belle Vue regularly and it would be fitting if, in view of his overwhelming contribution to Belle Vue Speedway for nearly half a century, one of the stands bore Chris Morton's name.

• Like 2

Spoke to Chris at the stadium on Monday as it seems he’s more comfortable coming along now after the hurt of what went on. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, ouch said:

Spoke to Chris at the stadium on Monday as it seems he’s more comfortable coming along now after the hurt of what went on. 

Great stuff i am so glad Chris feels like that, it would  be great if he could don his leathers again and have a few laps around the place he helped create.The track now would of suited Chris down to the ground he is one of the best riders that i have ever seen who could come from the back a real racer nobody in front of him was ever safe his move on Carter in the 1983 NLRC was awesome.

• Like 3