British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Grachan

Belle Vue v Swindon - Monday 20 May

2nd half of the meeting was excellent with some great racing.

For Swindon, I thought they did well and would comfortably took a point with Toby potentially a win as well. If they could find a scoring replacement for Shanes they would breeze the league but they are top heavy so that will be tough. Even still, a good team.

For bv Wells was poor again and whilst early I think we need to put the feelers out for a replacement because he just ain’t doing it. Again a mini collapse mid meeting after an 8 point lead, we should be kicking on but Swindon pulled it back to within 2, granted after a Doyle sub.

If bv don’t make changes Swindon will win here in the 2nd fixture imo

My long awaited first visit to the NSS tonight, and to be honest I was somewhat disappointed with the racing - perhaps because my expectation was quite high.

The outside line didn't really seem to be working, with the quickest line generally being on the inside. Indeed, most of the passing was riders going past anyone who moved off the line.

The racing was fast and close in the main, and I enjoyed the view from the South stand. You are certainly close to the action.

Two or three good races, and I certainly want to visit again. 

4 minutes ago, Sir Sidney said:

My long awaited first visit to the NSS tonight, and to be honest I was somewhat disappointed with the racing - perhaps because my expectation was quite high.

The outside line didn't really seem to be working, with the quickest line generally being on the inside. Indeed, most of the passing was riders going past anyone who moved off the line.

The racing was fast and close in the main, and I enjoyed the view from the South stand. You are certainly close to the action.

The very wide outside line by fence hasn't been working so well this year, it has been noticed that the track is being graded differenty this year with the dirt being brought down from the outside presumably at the request of riders/management.

The racing got a lot better as the meeting went on, plenty of passing from heat 10 onwards, heat 10 was great race between Ellis and Fricke and again Ellis was involved in heat 12 with Lidsey which was fantastic. Heat 15 had 2 races in one between Fricke & Doyle and Bjerre & Batchelor, it wasn't about the inside, far from it, plenty of times we were shouting that riders weren't ride wide enough and being passed.

Another mid meeting slip up from Belle Vue, I was actually thinking we were going to struggle to win the meeting after heat 11 but pulled it out of the bag towards the end.

Surely Wells has to go now.

5 minutes ago, Rob B said:

The very wide outside line by fence hasn't been working so well this year, it has been noticed that the track is being graded differenty this year with the dirt being brought down from the outside presumably at the request of riders/management.

The racing got a lot better as the meeting went on, plenty of passing from heat 10 onwards, heat 10 was great race between Ellis and Fricke and again Ellis was involved in heat 12 with Lidsey which was fantastic. Heat 15 had 2 races in one between Fricke & Doyle and Bjerre & Batchelor, it wasn't about the inside, far from it, plenty of times we were shouting that riders weren't ride wide enough and being passed.

Rob, difficult for me to make a judgement as it was my first time. However, my view tonight was any rider who moved wide lost ground.

I agree that heats 10, 12 and 15 were good and I shall certainly be visiting again when I am in the area.

Interesting what you say about the wide line and changes.

How did the attendance tonight compare to other meetings? 

Edited by Sir Sidney

Just now, Sir Sidney said:

How did the attendance tonight compare to other meetings? 

Very poor, combination of school night, Manchester City parade happening and we had a meeting on Thursday. Will be more then double the size on Bank Holiday Monday. 

1 minute ago, Rob B said:

Very poor, combination of school night, Manchester City parade happening and we had a meeting on Thursday. Will be more then double the size on Bank Holiday Monday. 

Glad to hear that the crowd is usually bigger. British Speedway needs Belle Vue to be successful and I wish you every sucess

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Sir Sidney said:

The start of the meeting is naturally when you ride down by the kerb. Happens in all the GPs. However that is unusual for bv, strangely. The outside has been good even in early parts of meetings since the track opened.

As the meeting went on and the surface began to break up around the outside it became usable and the racing dramatically improved. Like rob said, a number of us were screaming for the home lads to go wider. Doyle knew that’s where the racing line was. 

Overall that was a much better racing experience than you will find in 90% of British tracks, imo.

It seems strange if it is riders that are asking for the track to be graded differently. It is Fricke, Bewley and to a lesser extent Bjerre, who have made so many passes and gained so many points by using the wide line. At the moment we see Fricke and Bewley trying the wide line and losing ground until it comes into its own in the last third of the meeting.

Good to see that Zach and Dan Bewley were at the No Limits event at the NSS today receiving help and advice from Jason Crump. I'm sure that both will have benefitted.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Aces51 said:

Good to see that Zach and Dan Bewley were at the No Limits event at the NSS today receiving help and advice from Jason Crump. I'm sure that both will have benefitted.

Good work Jason!!!    If only J.C.

was based in the U.K. nowadays, on top of everything else we could have a decent commentator for the T.V. meetings.........

• Like 3

Great racing and after the shambles at Poole and Swindon today shows what can be done with a track that is prepared properly.

4 minutes ago, colin wood said:

Great racing and after the shambles at Poole and Swindon today shows what can be done with a track that is prepared properly.

Tonight at Swindon the problem was the first bend that had only recently been laid. 

You'd know now all about that at BV wouldn’t you ? ....... glass houses ?

11 hours ago, Jonny the spud said:

Tonight at Swindon the problem was the first bend that had only recently been laid. 

You'd know now all about that at BV wouldn’t you ? ....... glass houses ?

put ours right tho straight away hence the quality racing for last 3 years and the future  !!