British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
marko

The immediate future of speedway in Herts/Essex

Interesting to read that there could be some development in the future use of Rye House as a speedway venue again, although this is very much on hold at present, I do believe in my own mind that speedway will return there at some point as long as the track remains in situ.

Meanwhile over the border here in Essex, everything has gone quite, the previous limited company running the speedway has gone bankrupt, no word from Stuart Douglas former owner on why he decided to no longer keep putting money in or why riders like Kim Nillsen were never paid moneys that had been owed to them for some time, Jon Cook is back at Eastbourne and if you had been living on the moon for the past decade or so, would never have had an inkling he had been part of the Essex club, no word also on any news on the development of the former site, we have seen a statement that some of the people behind the scenes at Lakeside want to start a new club under the banner of Thurrock but whether that is purely a pipe dream no one knows, but to me it feels like the club has been quickly forgotten.

• Like 1

Rye House still appears on the Dragons amateur speedway fixture list

15 hours ago, marko said:

we have seen a statement that some of the people behind the scenes at Lakeside want to start a new club under the banner of Thurrock but whether that is purely a pipe dream no one knows, but to me it feels like the club has been quickly forgotten.

Not so much forgotten but put on "ignore".

The article in the Speedway Star talks about the 'new owners' stating that they are wanting to concentrate on longtrack racing - by which the magazine assumes they mean 'flat-track'?!

I think the problem is that Essex is a large county and the south of the county will not lend itself to a development of motor sports arena given the demand for housing etc. and for any marginal success of finding a suitable location you have to look north of Witham and probably in the North or North East of the county. Plenty of rural areas exist where a track may be viable but it would need to be a multi use stadia and not just speedway. Len Silver spent much time looking after the closure of Rayleigh and this included Southend and Rawreth but to no avail. I would like to see the sport established in the county but it is not going to happen within 30 to 40 miles of London.

Essex Showground just outside Chelmsford?

Romford Greyhound stadium?

A stadium not far from Southend would surely be viable?

I'm sure while Rye House remains as it is physically then League speedway of some sort will return at some point. Saturday nights were popular just a couple  of years ago.

22 hours ago, 25yearfan said:

I'm sure while Rye House remains as it is physically then League speedway of some sort will return at some point. Saturday nights were popular just a couple  of years ago.

Whilst BMR still own Rye House stadium, it might just be a pipe dream.

On 5/18/2019 at 8:55 PM, Hawk127 said:

I think the problem is that Essex is a large county and the south of the county will not lend itself to a development of motor sports arena given the demand for housing etc. and for any marginal success of finding a suitable location you have to look north of Witham and probably in the North or North East of the county. Plenty of rural areas exist where a track may be viable but it would need to be a multi use stadia and not just speedway. Len Silver spent much time looking after the closure of Rayleigh and this included Southend and Rawreth but to no avail. I would like to see the sport established in the county but it is not going to happen within 30 to 40 miles of London.

I seem to recall that Rawreth (Rawreth Lane) was indeed a front runner/favourite location for Rayleigh speedway, but for some reason didn't happen. However, Rawreth Lane is soon to have a massive housing development, so likely, speedway would have been booted out, around now!  

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 9:19 PM, 25yearfan said:

I remember going past Romford Greyhound Stadium on a train once. It would be a fantastic venue for speedway.

5 hours ago, Grachan said:

I remember going past Romford Greyhound Stadium on a train once. It would be a fantastic venue for speedway.

Sadly the local residents are less than friendly when it comes to anything taking place at the stadium. I fear there would be no chance of getting planning permission and having been to one dog meeting I also have to say the lines of sight are not good in many parts of the stadium. 

Edited by Chris116
Spelling!

Further to the above, remember that the Romford area has previous in getting injunctions against speedway! 

13 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Sadly the local residents are less than friendly when it comes to anything taking place at the stadium. I fear there would be no chance of getting planning permission and having been to one fog meeting I also have to say the lines of sight are not good in many parts of the stadium. 

As it was a fog meeting it`s not surprising you weren`t able to see well :)

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, racers and royals said:

As it was a fog meeting it`s not surprising you weren`t able to see well :)

Thank you, I have corrected the original post. Trouble with these fat fingers on a phone! 

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 7:53 PM, cityrebel said:

Whilst BMR still own Rye House stadium, it might just be a pipe dream.

The Lease is now owned by the Kart People according to Companies House.

2 hours ago, Rayleigh said:

The Lease is now owned by the Kart People according to Companies House.

If that's the case why are BMR planning to run a flat track series there. The whole thing seems to be a spiders web of various companies.