British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
marko

The immediate future of speedway in Herts/Essex

1 hour ago, White City Rebel said:

I agree, I would happily support an NDL team at Rye House, and I know I'm not alone in saying that. In terms of it's facilities and ease of access (or lack of it), RH suits that level of racing. 

Glad to hear, this lets hope you get the chance. The Jim Mead project sounds promising

• Like 2

Having seen some recent footage of the site, (Arena Essex) hardly anything has changed and certainly nothing has changed that would have prevented speedway for continuing, it’s makes me feel even sadder that the site is just sitting there doing nothing, when it could have been used for one more season and kept the whole exposure of the club going.

7 hours ago, marko said:

Having seen some recent footage of the site, (Arena Essex) hardly anything has changed and certainly nothing has changed that would have prevented speedway for continuing, it’s makes me feel even sadder that the site is just sitting there doing nothing, when it could have been used for one more season and kept the whole exposure of the club going.

Just like Cowley.

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

Just like Cowley.

or Brandon

16 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Just like Cowley.

On 7/25/2019 at 12:08 PM, marko said:

demise of Arena/Lakeside I thing as much to do with financial mis-management before they were evicted by LandOwner for development to proceed than it was the eviction for development

I remember them being very much a Club in latter seasons who struggled to keep afloat and as Speedway Star (Peter Oakes) reported some months ago, some huge liabilities incurred.

8 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Any truth in the rumour that Rye House has been sold to the go kart track?

shame if true as the Speedway Star did report a potential new Owner and thoughts of Connor Dugard going in as new Promoter were mentioned in the Star's new season review back in March.

Be a big blow to speedway to lose it forever despite recent issues there.

8 hours ago, HGould said:

shame if true as the Speedway Star did report a potential new Owner and thoughts of Connor Dugard going in as new Promoter were mentioned in the Star's new season review back in March.

Be a big blow to speedway to lose it forever despite recent issues there.

As in the London area it has been with so many tracks/stadiums e.g Wembley, West Ham, Wimbledon, New Cross, Harringay, Walthamstow - all in post-WW2 years.

7 hours ago, cityrebel said:

And Reading.

Cowley stadium is just sitting there deteriorating because of stubborn owners (whoever that might be now) and eventually will go the same way as aforementioned Reading, Cradley, White City and Wimbledon etc etc.

It's all very well to bemoan the loss of various stadiums and the effect it has in regard to their use for speedway and possibly short circuit car racing. But so far as speedway is concerned, a sport where it is accepted in many quarters as having ongoing diminishing interest, who is prepared to promote at them knowing they are taking on board a financial loss maker?

2 minutes ago, gustix said:

It's all very well to bemoan the loss of various stadiums and the effect it has in regard to their use for speedway and possibly short circuit car racing. But so far as speedway is concerned, a sport where it is accepted in many quarters as having ongoing diminishing interest, who is prepared to promote at them knowing they are taking on board a financial loss maker?

Personally that's my opinion regarding Cowley Stadium. Who's likely to step on board to re-introduce speedway at the site (never mind all the work and expense that would be required to bring the stadium up to some sort of acceptable standard) which is why, despite all the good intentions, I feel re-develpment of the site will be the only course of action much to my horror having spent over thirty years following the 'Rebels' and "Cheetahs'.

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 12:41 PM, Sings4Speedway said:

Any truth in the rumour that Rye House has been sold to the go kart track?

So I saw announced by the kart track on FB the other day. Have no idea what is happening but seems that it's carry on as they are for the time being.

4 hours ago, Vince said:

So I saw announced by the kart track on FB the other day. Have no idea what is happening but seems that it's carry on as they are for the time being.

Big opportunity for every BSF poster  to have their say on the Kartway's Facebook page. Over 280 had posted last time I checked with most POLITELY requesting the inclusion of speedway in any future plans for the stadium. JUST DO IT. 

• Like 2

On 5/17/2019 at 6:37 PM, arnieg said:

Rye House still appears on the Dragons amateur speedway fixture list

Rye House is still active in regard to Flat Track.

Edited by Guest