British Speedway Forum
eaglesno1

Eastbourne v Glasgow (League) 18/5/19

i'm absolutely gutted for tom , sarah & martin ,  as if they hadn't enough to deal with . a birthday to forget for martin and a bad day for eastbourne speedway . get well very soon tom & sarah .  

54 minutes ago, Hunters said:

Be surprised if they were not already on the Phone to BWD and it probably needs 2 changes.  As Georgie and Alfie are only 2 + pointers it looks like Ben will be the victim of the numbers game.

BWD and Daniel Spiller would fit the bill but I don't know what averages they will have.  Tom's average changes with last nights match otherwise they would have to bring a 2 pointer in for him and the Eagles season really would be shot.

There is very little wriggle room. Eastbourne on 39.08 are already 1.08 over the points limit. From next Saturday, Georgie will move back from 2.38 to 2.00. but Tom's average increases from 2.00 to 6.11. The remaining team are subject rolling averages which do not change until 23rd May to take effect 1st June. Therefore, from now until the beginning of June the combined CMAs increase to 42.81. Other riders averages would have to drop quite alarmingly by the 23rd. I expect those of Richard, Ed, Alfie and Ben will go south but Lewis' may go in the other direction.

if someone is a victim of numbers i think georgie is as much in danger as ben . i think ben would have been scoring just as good as georgie if he was at reserve but i'm not sure georgie will have been scoring from no2 . alfie has been ' dropped in it ' really  as a heat leader and although his performance last night was woeful probably merits more time . so for me it's a 50/50 between ben and georgie , probably georgie keeping his place because of the past few seasons. 

Firstly - and the only thing that really matters - all the best to Tom Brennan on his recovery.

I've given up trying to comprehend the way averages are calculated now.

To me, Jon Cooks' latest comments about riders feeling a bit too comfortable might not just be aimed at the lower order.

I'm still glad the club took the decision to enter the Championship. The increase in the standard is obvious & with much closer matches (preferably winning though!), I'll attend more than when in the NL, where the 60-30's got monotonous. 

Edited by Guest

Wishing Tom a fast recovery, Racing is closer yes, but what seemed fortress Arlington is different now can’t remember losing twice on the trot at home in a very long time :( 

2 hours ago, gee jay said:

if someone is a victim of numbers i think georgie is as much in danger as ben . i think ben would have been scoring just as good as georgie if he was at reserve but i'm not sure georgie will have been scoring from no2 . alfie has been ' dropped in it ' really  as a heat leader and although his performance last night was woeful probably merits more time . so for me it's a 50/50 between ben and georgie , probably georgie keeping his place because of the past few seasons. 

The reason I said it might be Ben is that it would release around 2.5 points more than Georgie which would be needed to bring in BWD or similar.    

Wishing Tom Brennan all the best, spoke to him when at Arlington and a nice lad.

Not surprised their crowd was down with Speedway GP 1st Round and Cup Final and Eurovision and believe they have been excellent down there so far.

Tough to reshuffle a team with average north of 42. 

Seen Alf Bowtell a few times, great starter and period at reserve and winning races he should be fine, Wood I've never thought CL standard and Morley is a decent NL reider who looks to have stagnated.

They always seem to have a pipeline of talent may be Daniel Spiller and Jason Edwards for the future ??

3 hours ago, tocha said:

There is very little wriggle room. Eastbourne on 39.08 are already 1.08 over the points limit. From next Saturday, Georgie will move back from 2.38 to 2.00. but Tom's average increases from 2.00 to 6.11. The remaining team are subject rolling averages which do not change until 23rd May to take effect 1st June. Therefore, from now until the beginning of June the combined CMAs increase to 42.81. Other riders averages would have to drop quite alarmingly by the 23rd. I expect those of Richard, Ed, Alfie and Ben will go south but Lewis' may go in the other direction.

Eastbourne are using Eddie Kennett on 10.40 when in reality he is 2 points less than that in this league. Those 2 points could have given Eastbourne a 4/4.5 point rider in the middle order and had Bowtell at reserve. The problem is that with so few fixtures this year Kennett will take most of the season for his average to adjust. 

As a long term Sussex resident, but from Glasgow, it was great to finally see my team at Arlington. I haven’t been since the Elite days.

The win was a bonus, but having seen Cook here with Belle Vue a few years ago, I figured with a bit of backup we might get close. The Eagles do have a reasonable team and will miss Tom Brennan, who was outstanding last night. I was also impressed with Connor Coles, who rode a great line in beating Edward Kennett.

The Eagles seem too top heavy to me (normally a Glasgow speciality! ) , as Kennett and Lawson do not offer the consistency that their averages suggest. It is a tricky track, and Lawson in particular needs to find the best way round it. 7 points is just not enough from a top heat leader.

I thought Lewis Kerr rode well and if these three find consistency as the season progesses, they will come good. At the moment poor Bowtell is struggling at number 3, although tbh I had never even heard of him when I looked at the program.

My main worry was the size of the crowd. Having not been since the Holder/Ward/Woffinden days, it looked about half the numbers. Not sure how this will support Championship wages so more home wins is a necessity to bring in the crowd.

Edited by Jonimac

You cant have a10.5 rider in this league, esp if they are moderate away, thats the main thing that damaged team building. 

Also it make changes v hard to pull off

Its been a tough time of late for the Brennan family of late so the last thing they needed was this. Hugely impressed with Tom in the recent Under-21 meeting at Berwick, hopefully he will make a full and quick recovery and is back on a back asap.

3 hours ago, Hunters said:

The reason I said it might be Ben is that it would release around 2.5 points more than Georgie which would be needed to bring in BWD or similar.    

thanks hunter , i'm not that clued up on averages as you can now tell . interesting to see a number on here think that a change at the top might also be on the cards.

Ive no idea if they will make changes tbh, if they do i dont think it will be just 1 change 

BWD wants to ride in Poland....would think he is well out of equation

12 hours ago, number6 said:

I believe the trip to the tigers on Friday night was more the reason for points being dropped and amount of falls. 

The long journey Friday and racing then having to travel back for home meeting last night would of been very tiring. 

Did the Birmingham promotion help you come up with that one ?

• Haha 1