British Speedway Forum
eaglesno1

Eastbourne v Glasgow (League) 18/5/19

1 hour ago, ProudtobeaBrummie said:

Did the Birmingham promotion help you come up with that one ?

Well they do live in Sussex.

15 hours ago, Jonimac said:

As a long term Sussex resident, but from Glasgow, it was great to finally see my team at Arlington. I haven’t been since the Elite days.

The win was a bonus, but having seen Cook here with Belle Vue a few years ago, I figured with a bit of backup we might get close. The Eagles do have a reasonable team and will miss Tom Brennan, who was outstanding last night. I was also impressed with Connor Coles, who rode a great line in beating Edward Kennett.

The Eagles seem too top heavy to me (normally a Glasgow speciality! ) , as Kennett and Lawson do not offer the consistency that their averages suggest. It is a tricky track, and Lawson in particular needs to find the best way round it. 7 points is just not enough from a top heat leader.

I thought Lewis Kerr rode well and if these three find consistency as the season progesses, they will come good. At the moment poor Bowtell is struggling at number 3, although tbh I had never even heard of him when I looked at the program.

My main worry was the size of the crowd. Having not been since the Holder/Ward/Woffinden days, it looked about half the numbers. Not sure how this will support Championship wages so more home wins is a necessity to bring in the crowd.

Been there twice with Brummies and very big Crowds both times, can only think on the night a lot of counter attractions like FA Cup; GP Speedway and Eurovision. They seem to be having issues with their track though which can't help them in the long run. 

15 hours ago, ruckerroo said:

You cant have a10.5 rider in this league, esp if they are moderate away, thats the main thing that damaged team building. 

Also it make changes v hard to pull off

Not sure how Eastbourne could gone to CL + not included Eddie Kennett his average will in next few months reach a true level probably around 8.50. Lawson and Kerr give them a very good top 3.

It's easy to come up with "names" and being a Saturday track not easy to attract people like Adam Ellis / Bradley Wilson-Dean, Nick Morris who may have been options for them with Lakeside and Eastbourne links who are trying to get rides and are getting rides in Poland.

They will likely replace Brennan temporarily as he is now 4th in averages but I don't think they'll want to use RR for a month, like all Clubs they will get benefit of increase in points limit from 38 to 40 after June 30th.

They are also in Shield semi and likely KOC R2 so if they can arrange those for after 30 June could be a side to be very wary of in latter stages of both Competitions; especially if they focus on those as targets. Counter with Brummies who I support who are already out of Shield and likely out of KOC and realistically a tough League Campaign ahead. 

When CL season ends don't think 1 point losses to Glasgow and Leicester will look too bad v likely Top 4 which I think will be those 2 plus Berwick and Redcar.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, HGould said:

Not sure how Eastbourne could gone to CL + not included Eddie Kennett his average will in next few months reach a true level probably around 8.50. Lawson and Kerr give them a very good top 3.

It's easy to come up with "names" and being a Saturday track not easy to attract people like Adam Ellis / Bradley Wilson-Dean, Nick Morris who may have been options for them with Lakeside and Eastbourne links who are trying to get rides and are getting rides in Poland.

They will likely replace Brennan temporarily as he is now 4th in averages but I don't think they'll want to use RR for a month, like all Clubs they will get benefit of increase in points limit from 38 to 40 after June 30th.

They are also in Shield semi and likely KOC R2 so if they can arrange those for after 30 June could be a side to be very wary of in latter stages of both Competitions; especially if they focus on those as targets. Counter with Brummies who I support who are already out of Shield and likely out of KOC and realistically a tough League Campaign ahead. 

When CL season ends don't think 1 point losses to Glasgow and Leicester will look too bad v likely Top 4 which I think will be those 2 plus Berwick and Redcar.

What a positive person you are! We should all take a leaf out of your book and not always try to look for all the negatives, hard as that normally seems with speedway.

• Like 1

Eastbourne won’t finish top 4 other than away to Birmingham where else can you see them picking up points??

Gutted to read about the injury sustained by Tom Brennan. Looks a great prospect and fingers crossed he can fully recover and start next season fully fit and flying as he was this year. All the best to the Dugard family too in what must be an awful time for them.

Clearly we had high hopes of bagging a Play Off place in our first season back in the Championship but it's becoming ever apparent what a tough league this is. Let's not let a couple of early set backs undo all the hard work that's been put in and lets not allow the early season positivity to ebb away - far too much effort has been put in for that. Historically Eastbourne have displayed a winning mindset and we have a fantastic management structure striving to move us forward. Still a lot to look foward to in the coming weeks and lest we forget the two matches that got away (that could have been wins were it not for a stroke of misfortune) have both been close fought and wholly entertaining - I think that the quality of meetings and the pedigree of riders that we will now see on a weekly basis highlight that the Championship is the place to be. Give me close meetings (with maybe the odd narrow defeat if it has to be a deal breaker) over big win borefests any day of the week. 

1 hour ago, HGould said:

I would not be surprised to see Kyle Newman named as a temporary replacement.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tocha said:

Hadn't thought of that,  but would be the 'easiest' solution in the hope he'd regain some form. Put him at 3 with Kerr, takes a little pressure off him to start with, and would give Bowtell a go at reserve, less pressure on him as well and should score more points.  

1 hour ago, TurnTwo said:

Eastbourne won’t finish top 4 other than away to Birmingham where else can you see them picking up points??

I think Mr Gould means Leicester, Glasgow, Berwick and Redcar as top 4 ...... read it again.

the argus makes interesting reading today, def changes afoot and mebbe more than one

51 minutes ago, woofers said:

I think Mr Gould means Leicester, Glasgow, Berwick and Redcar as top 4 ...... read it again.

yes I mean top 4 i think will be Glasgow, Leicester , Berwick and Redcar in that order, I think Eastbourne will be 7th or 8th to be honest.

point I was trying to make is if they get things sorted still have things to try to win which already some clubs who are out of shield and cup don't have luxury of.

2 hours ago, gazzac said:

What a positive person you are! We should all take a leaf out of your book and not always try to look for all the negatives, hard as that normally seems with speedway.

not that positive as its just sensible I think, focus on what you can still win and make changes when you can to target those matches, what any sensible football manager would do, whether eastbourne management have the brains to do that I'm a lot less sure as they seem too loyal to lakeside and eastbourne and british riders, respect that but they need to be more clinical. 

1 hour ago, tocha said:

Sad to say having seen him at close quarters this season that Kyles' confidence is shot.

Danyon Hulme may be a better alternative