British Speedway Forum
Arch Stanton

Ipswich v Wolves 20th May

6 minutes ago, Steve0 said:

With regards to Harris - he invariably starts the season off slowly and then finds his setups and is back on top form from about mid-season.  If you drop him - another team (most likely Poole) will benefit from his second half of the season improvement

He shuts off going into the first corner 

Our track doesnt suit him at all

Ipswich currently top the league - so what if some riders appear to be struggling, I'm sure the other teams would gladly swap positions.  As much as I agree with those saying Bellego and Harris (neither of whom I would have picked at the start of the season) are not doing well enough, they are part of the team which is winning.  Stick with it I say.  Hawkins must be cheap because clearly he's not up to it yet.  But again Louis said on TV last night that he is working well with the riders, however in my view he is making bad choices for the team - they could be doing even better!

Edited by SPEEDY69

5 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Are you an Ipswich fan? 

And Hawkins is Co promoter,, so maybe puts in. 

Nope, just a fan of British speedway.  If Hawkins is putting in money where does he get it from??

So as a witches fan I want to see my team be better it the chance is there, instead of just seeing how it goes. 

I'm not saying he puts in,, as I wouldn't have a clue,,,, and doesn't he have a parcel delivery business,, again not 100 percent sure

3 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Why would I get over one of the most ridiculous, nonsensical comments ever made on this forum (and that is saying something).

You claimed you liked meetings done and dusted in 60 mins. I doubt you've ever been to one. Ever.

You're now trying to defend that lunacy by giving an 85 min meeting as an example.

Mate

You must be special, the most ridiculous comment ever is me saying that I would prefer a speedway meeting (15 minutes of racing) to be completed within an hour so I can go off and do other things.

Then I give an example of something 85 minutes, the parade in my opinion is not part of the meeting, i mean the actual racing within an hour and back in my car so my example was more like 70 minutes much closer to 60 minutes than 85 minutes.

Perhaps others prefer to stay longer in absolutely holes of what most speedway stadiums are, I respect their choice as much as I respect your choice of wanting speedway done within 2 hours but to jump on me for what I would like just because its different from yours, it just makes you extremely pathetic.

I'd love to say I've been to more speedway meetings than you  but I probably haven't, because potentially I may be younger than you I feel although your mentality is clearly younger than me, also I have other commitments and activities I like to do plus I probably missed 10 years of going to speedway after my father retired from racing as after 9 years of travelling all over the country to every meeting he raced in was quite alot for a young lad back then

1 hour ago, Falcon1983 said:

Mate

You must be special, the most ridiculous comment ever is me saying that I would prefer a speedway meeting (15 minutes of racing) to be completed within an hour so I can go off and do other things.

Then I give an example of something 85 minutes, the parade in my opinion is not part of the meeting, i mean the actual racing within an hour and back in my car so my example was more like 70 minutes much closer to 60 minutes than 85 minutes.

Perhaps others prefer to stay longer in absolutely holes of what most speedway stadiums are, I respect their choice as much as I respect your choice of wanting speedway done within 2 hours but to jump on me for what I would like just because its different from yours, it just makes you extremely pathetic.

I'd love to say I've been to more speedway meetings than you  but I probably haven't, because potentially I may be younger than you I feel although your mentality is clearly younger than me, also I have other commitments and activities I like to do plus I probably missed 10 years of going to speedway after my father retired from racing as after 9 years of travelling all over the country to every meeting he raced in was quite alot for a young lad back then

Stop rambling on.

You made a stupid comment. Accept it, move on and stop trying to defend it. 

As I said, you will never, EVER have been to a meeting where it was done and dusted in 60 mins. I doubt you've been to one done in 70 either.

I have made no reference to what my 'preference' is, just pointed out the ridiculousness of your statement.

• Like 1

Whoever in the Ipswich team rides at No 1 will struggle.

The two at 3 and 4 will fly.

Get used to it!

Heeps certainly looked good last night after a poor season at Wolves.  Good to see he was in training over the winter and taking his fitness seriously.  With Jake Allen also scoring for fun (before he was injured), Ipswich currently have the strongest reserve pairing in the league - by a country mile

• Like 1

13 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

Hawkins came across as, well it would be impolite to say it as it appeared to me. Hopefully, he has a better relationship with his riders and an understanding of the sport than he has with the media. At the very least some help with that seems necessary.

And sadly this meeting I can only rate as 5/10 and was a poor advert for UK speedway. Even Tatum & Pearson fell far below their usual almost impeccable selves. Not just with the errors but with downright lies replacing their usual spin on how wonderful it all was. They seemed quite disinterested at times, perhaps they were suffering from post G.P. blues?

If the Live matches are not going to rise about the Swindon match and this one it certainly wasn't worth Buster "saving" the PL for TV. The sport looked completely moribund and was raced in front of a crowd that looked like less than a 1,000 ( maybe far less ). Cannot see how any casual non-speedway fan who stumbled across the broadcast would consider rushing to their nearest track.

Good post. The mantra to the casual viewer cannot be, tune in and something worth watching may appear in an hour and a halves time. The 2 matches we have seen on BT  this year have been pretty dire, its like watching British Speedways slow  funeral live on the box every fortnight.  Last night even Pearson seemed to be running out of steam trying to bull it up, think he realises that this is a pig its getting harder to put lipstick on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I didn't think it was that bad a meeting. There were some good races and seeing Heeps doing well was good. 

Not good seeing Harris struggling, maybe with Danny doing well they could swap positions?  The number 5 was a little wild for Ipswich, he nearly did a Bjarne Pedersen to Nicholls if he didn't shut off. 

A last east heat decider, have seen worse meetings by far on tv.

Highest average rider must be at one,,,, not sure when the averages change but Harris is currently number 1

At least 2/3 of the heats last night were boring processional rubbish.  Barely 5 heats worthy of being called a race.

Ipswich another on the long list of tracks that need improvement...

Yes, we know, it can't be done for this, that, or the other reason and the racing is usually amazing anyway.

Why doesn't anybody go to Speedway?  The answer was on tele last night.

• Like 1