British Speedway Forum
Arch Stanton

Ipswich v Wolves 20th May

21 hours ago, Stoke Potter said:

At least 2/3 of the heats last night were boring processional rubbish.  Barely 5 heats worthy of being called a race.

Ipswich another on the long list of tracks that need improvement...

Yes, we know, it can't be done for this, that, or the other reason and the racing is usually amazing anyway.

Why doesn't anybody go to Speedway?  The answer was on tele last night.

Well unfortunately it will not get better simply because the muck that's put down instead a proper shale.

9 hours ago, Aces51 said:

We see the same riders at the NSS as at every other PL track and yet they give 100%, they try different lines and racing is often fast and close. The only conclusion I can draw from that is that the problem doesn't lie with the riders but with the tracks.

Correct bell Vue has very good racing mainly down to shape of track but as you say more importantly bell Vue use proper shale .

6 hours ago, Baldyman said:

How would you suggest Ipswich improve their track? 

Use proper shale would go along way the stuff on there now is nothing more than muck which doesn't allow the back wheel to spin the way it should, in stead the bike is driving all the time which makes them unpredictable and harder to control, I would take a guess that now they use muck on the track I bet there one tooth less on the back than what they used to be.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mikebv said:

Take some of the dirt off it...

Ironic when so many tracks are so slick, Buster seems to make all his very grippy..

Tracks prepared like Ippo on Monday invariably end up with a 'fast race around the boards procession' with all riders keeping, in the main, equal distance from each other, (presume to give themselves time to avoid the guy in front should he have problems riding though the 'deep stuff')...

Deep dirt to ride in, but too deep to race in...

The NSS, widely considered to be a great race track runs much better 'slicker than deep', and to be honest when you watch old footage of Hyde Rd the inside third of the track was 'slick' with the outside two thirds covered in 'just enough' dirt, not lots of it..

The shape of the bends lends so much to the racing, and as has been said the "fly down the straight/lock up almost to a standstill/fire off down the next straight/lock up almost to a standstill/rinse and repeat", type track simply isn't conducive to deliver great Speedway..

Even more so when 'deep', as riders will always be cautious as to how their bikes will react when it hits the deep stuff on a tight bend...

And if they are thinking about that, they cannot be thinking about racing as well..

And who can blame them?

Baldyman’s right there’s not usually that much dirt on the track as there was Monday. Whether the overnight rain played a part in that I’ve no idea. 

Ipswich have just uploaded another race from the Poole meeting, this is much more consistent with how the track is prepared although it’s slickened off here as it’s towards the end of the meeting 

On another note, why does everyone not know who Heeps is anymore? He turned in to Bellego on Monday and he’s turned in to Jake Allen here!

Poor Cam

Edited by Arch Stanton
  • Like 1

Proves the point when it was damp and grippy riders struggled and fell, but later when track dried and slickend off riders have more confidence in the track and race harder.

1 hour ago, Warriors said:

Use proper shale would go along way the stuff on there now is nothing more than muck which doesn't allow the back wheel to spin the way it should, in stead the bike is driving all the time which makes them unpredictable and harder to control, I would take a guess that now they use muck on the track I bet there one tooth less on the back than what they used to be.

There's a lot said about the shale these days.  It's the wrong type, you can't get the same stuff as the good old days, or because there's no oil in it from the bikes, etc.  But putting on perfect shale won't turn Ipswich in to Belle Vue, still too small, narrow, wrong shape, etc.

What didn't help on Monday was the slick patch entering the bends about 1/3 away from the kerb, caused 2 falls if I remember right and no doubt caused problems for others.

I note that Harris is doing well for Somerset in CL--seems to have "recovered from injury" (Hmm)....

Edited by Icicle

12 hours ago, 89buttons said:

imo its the bikes are the problem these days, they're revving so high with so much power it makes them so unpredictable on grippy surfaces its so hard to control, often it doesn't matter how good your throttle control is if you're turning tight and get a handful of grip you're soon just a passenger!

watching jake allen so far this season his throttle and overall bike control imo is top notch - he's similar in style to rory schlein in that neither ever look like they're fighting the bike, always smooth and controlled however hard they're racing - yet exactly what I've explained above happened to jake last week on the top turn at foxhall.

the bikes are far more suited to big wide open smooth and slick tracks where its all about building speed and momentum rather than racing down a straight and then standing the bike up turning tight and scrubbing the speed off like in england - problem with slick tracks love here is the corners/tracks aren't big enough that the riders can maintain speed through the bends and build the momentum - belle vue is....and what do you know its the best track in the country!

the surviving english tracks aren't really fit for purpose for the modern machinery - the bikes have changed massively in past 10-20 years yet the tracks haven't moved with them to be more suited, and the bikes haven't been adapted or aren't that well adapted to english tracks. 

Spot on post, since new silencers were introduced in 2010 a lot of tracks in the UK are not suited to todays machines. As you say todays bikes are suited to big wide, fast , throttle open tracks, any tracks where you have to shut off and rely on throttle control , the quality of speedway has been severely effected. Add to this the shape, lack of banking and poor shale and you have an unwanted cocktail.  Even Terry Russel eluded to the point when on BT last week. I know speedway has a dedicated band of devotees who like to protect the sport from any criticism but anybody independent watching the first 2 live matches  on TV can see the problem. Regardless of what Rob Godfrey and Jon Cook tell us " the product is not better than ever " its significantly worse than it was. If  BT sport is the window to advertise to the rest of the country its no surprise the terraces are empty. Interesting in the Speedway Star last week there was an analogy between Formula 1 and speedway. Similar to speedway the F1 devotees think they have a good product when in truth you are watching a boring procession. Both also have commentators that repeatedly  try to sex it up,  insulting the intelligence of those who know the sport   What can be done, nothing, there is no money  ,the  best riders are not coming back, a TV deal worth peanuts, no major sponsorship and falling crowds. As for changing the bikes , no chance while the current bosses at the F.IM are in charge.  Very Sad

Edited by iwright71
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Not sure who said it but it was said (someone educate me) something about people using motocross engines I think 450cc in speedway chassis etc.

Big manufacturers who have no interest in speedway right now, so perhaps speedway as it is in the UK should die a death and out of the flames something completely new but on the basis of speedway could be born and be successful.

I honestly cant see any other way as people running it now have killed it, lack of riders, doubling up, fixed race nights, poor crowds, poor tracks, poor facilities

• Like 1

My goodness what a lot of doom and gloom.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Badge said:

My goodness what a lot of doom and gloom.

For what it’s worth Badge I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the racing this year! More than previous seasons and I never thought I’d be saying that

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

For what it’s worth Badge I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the racing this year! More than previous seasons and I never thought I’d be saying that

Me too - overall it has been a thoroughly enjoyable start to the season

I dont generally go along with calls for lots of changes but I can see the reasoning for various concerns currently being voiced and just because we are doing better than expected doesnt make holding off on any possible move the right choice

Equally there is a lot to be said with showing faith and lotalty where you feel it is warranted and only those within the inner circle will really know the score on that

• Like 1

Trouble is it's always us showing faith,, and whilst others are showing less faith, they are getting stronger,, whilst we will be getting weaker. 

Thing is our team is built around strong reserves and we need to make changes before Cam & Jake move into the top 5 otherwise we could struggle  as we lose our scoring potential from reserve. Just because a riders goes to reserve doesn't mean he will suddenly start winning races.