British Speedway Forum
justathought

Newcastle V Leicester 19/5/19

As 'bloom' said, a good advert for speedway. There might be a case for having some bad luck,,, but ye shouldn't be relying on luck at home ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Winditon said:

How can you even consider having Danny Phillips in your team. He is not going to improve. People were getting carried away after the Glasgow meeting but Glasgow reserves on the night were very poor. Bickley just cannot get around Brough Park and Ruddick is struggling as much as Phillips. We need changes but will it happen.? Who knows.

Personally... I wouldn't consider Danny in MY team... But I think Phillips senior might lose a bit of interest and funding if his son is suddenly dropped? Maybe that's part of the deal... I'll keep your club afloat... If you let my son ride...

If the other 6 riders can all fire (And I think in the teams I suggested they would) carrying Danny may not be the end of the world if it means Martin will keep our club alive... However he does need a kick up the arse!! Plus... Sounds like he does A LOT of work off track, which is a big help and is appreciated greatly, something that could go unnoticed...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dandelion said:

Personally... I wouldn't consider Danny in MY team... But I think Phillips senior might lose a bit of interest and funding if his son is suddenly dropped? Maybe that's part of the deal... I'll keep your club afloat... If you let my son ride...

If the other 6 riders can all fire (And I think in the teams I suggested they would) carrying Danny may not be the end of the world if it means Martin will keep our club alive... However he does need a kick up the arse!! Plus... Sounds like he does A LOT of work off track, which is a big help and is appreciated greatly, something that could go unnoticed...

'Dimitri Berge',,, have you been on the glue ??? ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ruffdiamond said:

'Dimitri Berge',,, have you been on the glue ??? ;)

Yup... And I'm STICKING with my choice ;)

Mind you I would like to see Mark Riss and he fits there too, so either or... :P

Yes a cracking meeting and fair play to Leicester who did deserve the and will certainly pick up some trophies

I see the official excuse for the defeat was ....... bad luck .............  hmmmm  ......... when our riders fall its bad luck but not oppositions

Bates and Douglas fell in scoring positions and I felt Perks was harshly excluded when Bjerre clearly clouted him going into turn 1 

We have problems everywhere ....

Our heat leaders are frankly not performing ................  steve excellent when bike working ... but having too many issues        Jorgensen is just so inconsistent its untrue (rubbish in heat 4 then brilliant in heat 7 to average in heat 10, excellent in heat 11 and then nowhere in heat 13 !!!)    and Bjerre has been awful and his 4 point haul summed it all ... he's not gating and he is slow and certainly has no idea about the quickest way around Brough

Lambert and Philips are struggling.... very badly  - the former cant ride the track and the latter aint good enough

Saving grace - Wethers + Clegg .. riding very well (certainly at home)

It is clear now that the team isn't good enough .....  regardless of what the promotion says ....... its 4 home defeats in 6 and I cant recall us ever starting like that

I applaud George for being loyal to his riders ,  but drastic surgery is required and I hate saying it but Bjerre, Lambert and Philips need replacing

• Like 2

I think all the question marks and worries we had at the start of the season are happening. Bjerre & Jorgensen can be great but can also be woeful. With Stevie having a few bike problems too we are struggling and if Stevie has an off night I’m not confident the other two heat leaders will step up. It’s a massive ask to win meetings with underperforming heat leaders. Phillips too apart from one meeting has done nothing. 

You can’t expect to win meetings when your carrying 2 maybe 3 riders a meeting.

Edited by bloom89
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mauger65 said:

Yes a cracking meeting and fair play to Leicester who did deserve the and will certainly pick up some trophies

I see the official excuse for the defeat was ....... bad luck .............  hmmmm  ......... when our riders fall its bad luck but not oppositions

Bates and Douglas fell in scoring positions and I felt Perks was harshly excluded when Bjerre clearly clouted him going into turn 1 

We have problems everywhere ....

Our heat leaders are frankly not performing ................  steve excellent when bike working ... but having too many issues        Jorgensen is just so inconsistent its untrue (rubbish in heat 4 then brilliant in heat 7 to average in heat 10, excellent in heat 11 and then nowhere in heat 13 !!!)    and Bjerre has been awful and his 4 point haul summed it all ... he's not gating and he is slow and certainly has no idea about the quickest way around Brough

Lambert and Philips are struggling.... very badly  - the former cant ride the track and the latter aint good enough

Saving grace - Wethers + Clegg .. riding very well (certainly at home)

It is clear now that the team isn't good enough .....  regardless of what the promotion says ....... its 4 home defeats in 6 and I cant recall us ever starting like that

I applaud George for being loyal to his riders ,  but drastic surgery is required and I hate saying it but Bjerre, Lambert and Philips need replacing

From a video interview shown before the season started with Roy interviewing Martin, it appeared George did not appoint the team.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, highside said:

its time for changes at newcastle 2& 7 need to go  sorry lads .

With who???. We can only change like for like. so that means another 2.00 for Danny. They are thin on the ground. Ask Glasgow who are struggling to replace Chessell. Scunthorpe are trialling bad boy Lawlor to fill their vacancy. 

There aren't that many 4.00 s around either. People mention Jedd List who rode last night but was at least a second PER LAP slower than the average time during the main meeting.

Part of the problem, in my opinion, is the lack of home meetings especially with the track seemingly changing every time we ride. No home meeting next week means we've had three blank dates in the last six weeks. The "new" boys aren't getting enough regular home time. and there is possibly another two blank dates at the end of next month.

6 hours ago, Dandelion said:

I very much doubt Martin being his dad has anything to do with it, otherwise Danny would have been in the team last year. It's more likely a case of the main sponsors wanting him in the team. If you remember they wanted him in the team when they came on board last season, but were persuaded otherwise (by George and Martin) due the 'enforced' way the team was built. to their credit though they went out and helped make him a club asset. So it is more likely their influence that has seen Danny in our team this year. And, if I'm honest, better that than no speedway at all.

• Haha 2

potential replacements are an issue .....   but something needs to change

2 wins in 11 is poor - and the wins were against Sheffield who were a 4 man team up here and Edinburgh  - both sides who look pretty average outfits given results thus far and we are yet to hit 40 away from home ......   another tough season beckons

• Like 1

On 5/20/2019 at 11:26 AM, Dandelion said:

Yup... And I'm STICKING with my choice ;)

Mind you I would like to see Mark Riss and he fits there too, so either or... :P

I thought Mark Riss had retired......although i was then told he was also going to focus on Longtrack now so what do i know!

• Haha 1