British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
martinmauger

Advertising in ASDA 2019

True but with my club the age of the school children they aim at is junior, maybe primary, not a level where I suspect homework is a thing but then I haven’t done the school thing for 30 years so it could be very different now.

Point taken about it being a late night though, again, if the promoters had their act together they could get meetings done quicker if they really wanted to.

3 hours ago, Vincent Blachshadow said:

One of the problems with giving away free tickets in schools, according to a promoter friend a few years back, is that it's a midweek sport. Out straight after tea and not back till after ten isn't conducive with getting homework done and going to bed at 'a suitable time' (his words) for many schoolchildren. Then there's the holidays, of course.

A football-attending friend of mine tells me that the free tickets for matches are invariably for weekend games (at his club, anyway).

Different world I guess but I used to go to Oxford on Thursdays and White City (Tuesdays or Wednesdays during my exam years) and somehow managed to get my homework done around those visits.

• Like 2

I’m a fairly regular attendee of Santa Pod despite living in Newcastle. The promotion of Santa Pod is very much around events. They have no expectations of the same people turning up every week (and it does run every week through the summer).

There are so many classes and types of meeting that each week sees different cars and different crowds. It is geared towards making itself a ‘once a year’ event for most people who go.

It has a full funfair and lots of other events such as stunt shows and fly pasts. For speedway to go down a similar route would involve promoting other styles of racing (fours, pairs, individual, sidecars) and occasionally a highlight event.

I remember all of this in my lifetime following Newcastle and also remember how well it was promoted by Ian Thomas back in the Seventies.

One other point is value for money

Santa Pod costs around £30 for an adult and all kids U16 are free. The racing is from 09.00 until dark and all stunt shots etc are included in the price and your ticket includes full pits access. I know speedway pooh poohs this on H&S grounds however they have no issues letting you get to within 6 feet of 10000bhp dragsters whilst they are warming up.

Says prices start at £22 for Top Fuel Funny Cars (cars with bodies, look a bit like regular cars but bigger) for adults, up to 3 children under 16 go free with each paying adult.  Varying race events, seem to be every 2 weeks....

Edited by martinmauger
corrected info

On 6/5/2019 at 12:13 PM, marko said:

True but with my club the age of the school children they aim at is junior, maybe primary, not a level where I suspect homework is a thing but then I haven’t done the school thing for 30 years so it could be very different now.

Point taken about it being a late night though, again, if the promoters had their act together they could get meetings done quicker if they really wanted to.

What quicker than hour and half!!

On 6/5/2019 at 3:24 PM, steve roberts said:

Different world I guess but I used to go to Oxford on Thursdays and White City (Tuesdays or Wednesdays during my exam years) and somehow managed to get my homework done around those visits.

Parents worry too much these days, it's ridiculous imo ....

• Like 1

On Wednesday, June 05, 2019 at 3:24 PM, steve roberts said:

To be fair Steve, you should see the amount of homework...

Not sure what they actually do at school!!...:D

My lad has been in over ten times during the past two holiday breaks doing 'compulsory revision', including Saturdays...:o

"Eeee, it's all changed since I were a lad" etc etc etc.

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Trees said:

Parents worry too much these days, it's ridiculous imo ....

It wasn't the parents my mate was referring to. You can't go into a school and start giving tickets away without permission and the reasons given (late nights and no homework time) were what he was being told when denied permission by head teachers to give tickets away.

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, mikebv said:

To be fair Steve, you should see the amount of homework...

Not sure what they actually do at school!!...:D

My lad has been in over ten times during the past two holiday breaks doing 'compulsory revision', including Saturdays...:o

"Eeee, it's all changed since I were a lad" etc etc etc.

Echo that

My lad in the middle of his GCSEs had to stay at home with grandprents rather than come away on holiday with us during the half term because of the pressure to do extra lessons and revision

Personally Im not convinced the approach has benefitted him too much. A bit more fun and relaxation couldve put him in a better frame of mind and helped him just as much

• Like 2