British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
keepturningleft

This must be a contender for the greatest race ever!

39 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...which of course was a fluke despite Rickardsson's claims to the contrary. Malcolm Simmons lost a lot of respect for him when Rickardsson later claimed that it was a calculated risk rather than admit it was pure chance and a manourvre a rider wouldn't normally expect to take or get away with.

The idea that a rider who was caught up in a scandal that really hurt speedway in the country big time lost respect for one of the greatest riders we ever saw is quite hilarious......

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, iris123 said:

The idea that a rider who was caught up in a scandal that really hurt speedway in the country big time lost respect for one of the greatest riders we ever saw is quite hilarious......

...read Martin Rogers' most interesting comments on that very subject in the latest edition of the "Backtrack' magazine.

14 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...read Martin Rogers' most interesting comments on that very subject in the latest edition of the "Backtrack' magazine.

One of those 'expert opinions' ? Did he say it was all rubbish then?

Bit like the 'expert opinions' that state a rider would never deliberately go out to hurt another rider, then a rider comes out in his autobiography or article and states he once went out to put someone in the fence and teach him a lesson......

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, iris123 said:

One of those 'expert opinions' ? Did he say it was all rubbish then?

He's both a journalist and one-time Promoter/ General Manager of several teams. He passed an observation based upon my question I put to him regarding whether it was where fundimentally speedway started to decline in this country. He felt that there were more pressing issues...far more detail than I am able to list on here only to say that he was able to out-score said journalist at the subsequent hearing which he attended to which he was congratulated. Well worth subscribing to the magazine to which I highly recommend.

Edited by steve roberts

So Simmons, who deliberately chucked races when riding for Swindon so he could drop down a league, lost respect for Rickardsson over his first bend manouvre in the Grand Prix?

I know which one I have more respect for.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Grachan said:

So Simmons, who deliberately chucked races when riding for Swindon so he could drop down a league, lost respect for Rickardsson over his first bend manouvre in the Grand Prix?

I know which one I have more respect for.

Wasn't the manourvre that was questioned but that Rickardsson claimed that he had meant to carry it out...nine point nine times out of ten it would have ended in a crash. Doesn't matter who made the comment really (only that it was Simmo who went into print) but most speedway fans/observers would have come up with the same opinion. Spectacular move, but not calculated as Rickardsson afterwards claimed, that paid off... on that occasion. He was mighty lucky!

Edited by steve roberts

4 hours ago, steve roberts said:

...which of course was a fluke despite Rickardsson's claims to the contrary. Malcolm Simmons lost a lot of respect for him when Rickardsson later claimed that it was a calculated risk rather than admit it was pure chance and a manourvre a rider wouldn't normally expect to take or get away with.

I'm sure Rickardsson is devastated.

As Iris says, Simmons is one of the BIGGEST reasons for the decline of the sport in the UK.

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Wasn't the manourvre that was questioned but that Rickardsson claimed that he had meant to carry it out...nine point nine times out of ten it would have ended in a crash. Doesn't matter who made the comment really (only that it was Simmo who went into print) but most speedway fans/observers would have come up with the same opinion. Spectacular move, but not calculated as Rickardsson afterwards claimed, that paid off... on that occasion. He was mighty lucky!

So was Emil lucky too then? Or did he plan to try it?

On 5/22/2019 at 12:07 PM, IronScorpion said:

It looked like on that last bend he shut off, not sliding, but just let the bike run( how he did not end up in the fence??????????) then opened the throttle to pass. SUPERB!!!!!! 

Apart from the Tony Rickardsson single first turn move at Cardiff. I've never really seen anything quite like that....a rider deliberately using a berm of dirt resting ion the fence as a tactic to overtake. He came out of the turns more like a motocross rider than a speedway rider. Quite unique. I wonder if we will see other riders attempting this one from now on? It would be very risky business for those less skilled than Sayfutdinov...he should really issue a "Don't Try This At Home!" statement.  :blink:

Brilliant as it was I'm more in awe of the way a few top riders use the fence to drive them harder into the corners now. Think Jason Crump was the first I saw do it and it amazed me then and still does now.

28 minutes ago, Vince said:

Brilliant as it was I'm more in awe of the way a few top riders use the fence to drive them harder into the corners now. Think Jason Crump was the first I saw do it and it amazed me then and still does now.

Believe a routine ploy by Ivan Mauger  when he was at at Exeter

Edited by wealdstone
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, wealdstone said:

Believe a routine ploy by Ivan Mauger  when he was at at Exeter

I think Vaclav Verner may well have used the same ploy around the County Ground? He certainly got thru' gaps others feared to tread!

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

I think Vaclav Verner may well have used the same ploy around the County Ground? He certainly got thru' gaps others feared to tread!

We were talking about respect? Now there is somebody for whom I had the greatest respect, as a rider and as a person - dear old Vaclav!

Steve

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

He certainly used the same ploy at Romford. I can still remember the pain i felt getting filled in by his back wheel at Brooklands. That low concrete wall offered very little protection for those of us silly enough to stand near it.

• Like 1

This thread got me thinking about strange lines some riders used to take on their way to the chequered flag. There was no better sight than watching Dag Lovaas ride the notorious adverse camber on the pits bend at Cowley as he swept round the opposition. He was one of few who were able to negotiate that move successfully before it was removed some years later.