British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fred5

Rebels Vs Eagles Wed 22nd May

They just built the side awfully really. Kennett and morley at 15.2 or a solid 8pt and 7 pt rider would have been a significantly better balance.

They ballsed it right up tbh and poor toms injury compounded matters.

Lets hope alfie bowtell can , now riding in the correct position score some much needed points

56 minutes ago, ruckerroo said:

They just built the side awfully really. Kennett and morley at 15.2 or a solid 8pt and 7 pt rider would have been a significantly better balance.

They ballsed it right up tbh and poor toms injury compounded matters.

Lets hope alfie bowtell can , now riding in the correct position score some much needed points

Its a team format that Eastbourne fans are not used to due to the Dugard based promotion having a better level of awareness whilst Jon Cook builds teams to have a strong top end and long tail. I think this year will be a learning curve for both fans and promotion as the demanded levels of success will not come as frequently this year.

Unless there's something in the pipeline already, I think with 2 home matches and the KO Cup at Birmingham to come in the next 10 days, probably Wood Morley and Bowtell are all on last chances. Hopefully Bowtell can kick in at reserve where he should have started the season, and Wood can regain last years NL form, especially at home. If they don't not sure what changes they can make. A Spiller or 2 maybe? 

Morley has been the weak link really, he’s been knocking around for several years now and should be doing better especially on a small home track. 

12 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Morley has been the weak link really, he’s been knocking around for several years now and should be doing better especially on a small home track. 

In fairness Morley's average was up a little due to his knowledge of Lakeside last year but in the majority of meetings this year he has been getting 4-5, couple of duffers at Glasgow & Leicester but won't be the only rider to do that. Whilst progress hasn't been rapid it was unrealistic to expect him to end up on a 6+ point ave by now.

57 minutes ago, gazzac said:

Unless there's something in the pipeline already, I think with 2 home matches and the KO Cup at Birmingham to come in the next 10 days, probably Wood Morley and Bowtell are all on last chances. Hopefully Bowtell can kick in at reserve where he should have started the season, and Wood can regain last years NL form, especially at home. If they don't not sure what changes they can make. A Spiller or 2 maybe? 

What better 2 point riders are about to replace Wood & Bowtell? If either is released they will be snapped up elsewhere. Not sure that Dan Spiller could come in on less than a 4.00 average and Ethan was not high enough in standard last time he was over. 

• Like 2

Saw his score , how did Valentin ride. One pretty swift time I see.

Edited by Cliffeboy

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

In fairness Morley's average was up a little due to his knowledge of Lakeside last year but in the majority of meetings this year he has been getting 4-5, couple of duffers at Glasgow & Leicester but won't be the only rider to do that. Whilst progress hasn't been rapid it was unrealistic to expect him to end up on a 6+ point ave by now.

What better 2 point riders are about to replace Wood & Bowtell? If either is released they will be snapped up elsewhere. Not sure that Dan Spiller could come in on less than a 4.00 average and Ethan was not high enough in standard last time he was over. 

People seem to be forgetting Kyle Newman.

He won't replace Brennan scoring power at Arlington but will better it probably away.

He is a genuine experienced second string better than Morley or Bowtell.

I agree few better reserves available than Wood and Bowtell and be interesting to see (a) if morley is moved on and (b) who may be available to come in.

Very few 4-5 point riders around unless you bring someone up from NL (not worked for them other than Brennan) or abroad (not part of their all British thinking).

I'd be very surprised if much changes soon?

4 minutes ago, HGould said:

He won't replace Brennan scoring power at Arlington but will better it probably away.

I agree few better reserves available than Wood and Bowtell and be interesting to see (a) if morley is moved on and (b) who may be available to come in.

Very few 4-5 point riders around unless you bring someone up from NL (not worked for them other than Brennan) or abroad (not part of their all British thinking).

The problems are numerous but expectation is probably the greatest of them all. Eagles fans have become used to winning matches and trophies but expecting to be strongly competitive in the first season back up whilst maintaining the local British ethos is optimistic at best. Historically away success is nice but home wins are what most want ad in all fairness home demolitions are what a lot of Eagles fans desire. 

However with 25% of the league fixtures done play off hopes already look slim so the promotions best bet is to build or work with the team to get Fortress Arlington back rather than strengthen for their travels.

• Like 1

Just to make it clear, I'm not advocating changes, I really hope they can all raise their game and apart from the enforced change I'd be only too pleased to end the season with this team. I agree with what has been said before, think now the main aim is to regain fortress Arlington, keep the fans coming in, hopefully Leicester and Glasgow are the best out there,  and they could be, then the close losses at home won't seem so bad, just can't afford another one really.

Edited by gazzac

If everyone upped their game just a little,, and they are all capable of that..I. do not think they will have a problem......

As always I enjoyed the racing on my first visit to the Oak Tree this season but boy do they know how to drag out a meeting! Henry Atkins crashed in the fourth and it was announced there would be a 10 minute delay while the paramedic checked him over, fair do's. So we have the rerun after which the tractors come up for their 5 minutes of fun (for the first of 4 times). Why the hell didn't they come out before the rerun, does one race really make that much difference? Such a contrast to Scunthorpe the previous Friday where the meeting was over before 9 with no prolonged periods of grading. 2 of my favourite tracks incidentally, but I thought a very disappointing crowd at Scunny.

On 5/23/2019 at 11:55 AM, HGould said:

)Very few 4-5 point riders around unless you bring someone up from NL (not worked for them other than Brennan) or abroad (not part of their all British thinking).

The options open to Eastbourne very much depend upon new greensheet averages due out now. From tomorrow Tom's increases to 6.05 meaning combined averages will be 43.13. The remainder of the teams CMAs take effect from 1st June. As these are rolling averages taken over the past 20 eligible fixtures I don't see them changing much. In fact Lewis' might increase.( On rolling averages,  I have no idea how Ed's are calculated. He started this season on the converted figure he achieved at the end of the 2017 season for Rye House. He hasn't ridden in the Championship/ Premier League since 2016.)  One concern I have is how Kyle's will move. Last season he spent two periods out injured so his rolling average might now include scores he racked up for Lakeside from the first half of their campaign. It only needs to increase by 0.35 possibly to render him ineligible depending upon what the BSPA decides.

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 10:58 AM, paulboy said:

As always I enjoyed the racing on my first visit to the Oak Tree this season but boy do they know how to drag out a meeting! Henry Atkins crashed in the fourth and it was announced there would be a 10 minute delay while the paramedic checked him over, fair do's. So we have the rerun after which the tractors come up for their 5 minutes of fun (for the first of 4 times). Why the hell didn't they come out before the rerun, does one race really make that much difference? Such a contrast to Scunthorpe the previous Friday where the meeting was over before 9 with no prolonged periods of grading. 2 of my favourite tracks incidentally, but I thought a very disappointing crowd at Scunny.

good question, if Somerset want to attract bigger crowds, why not reply on here and give the reason?