British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dump that clutch

Swindon v Poole - Premiership - Mon 27th May - 19:30

Think Ford Jr will have a huge sigh of relief as he can probably keep money in his pocket a bit longer not being forced into replacing Worrall (for now...). Probably bought a bit more time with yesterdays performances.

I can see Poole making the play-offs without winning a single away match this season. Seeing how teams such as KL and Swin have now in effect strengthened I cannot see any way that Poole will get a win on the road. Their team in depth has too many inconsistent performers INCL Jack and Brady who can blow hot & cold on any given race day. If only the whole team could get it together on the same day away to  drag the team over the line. Last night was a big missed opportunity with Swind not having Doyle in all 5 rides plus injury to Mus and very weak reserves. Yes Jensen was a revelation but this was a rider near enough done and dusted for many to sign for  Poole before most were then surprised to find it was not Jensen but NBJ. Good signing for Swindon and wish we had got him as reserve to be honest. His scores were mightly impressive last few months of last season in Champ.

Providing Poole keep winning at home the odd away points from 6 point or less defeats will get them into the top 4 imo.

Let's just hope the Ford's do invest to sort the track as it's a poor advert for the sport and how long before one of their own riders get's an injury let alone the opposition.

1 hour ago, foreverblue said:

That is rubbish.

Swindon were 2 heat leaders down and were carrying a long tail

For Covatti to have had 4 rides and NBJ 5 seems bad management to me

Poole will not have a better opportunity to beat Swindon....it was a draw first time round this season so i think Poole could have expected to win with Swindon being depleted

Dont get me wrong us at Ipswich have a poor manager with his tactics....but to me Middlo messed up

3 minutes ago, Gavan said:

Swindon were 2 heat leaders down and were carrying a long tail

For Covatti to have had 4 rides and NBJ 5 seems bad management to me

Poole will not have a better opportunity to beat Swindon....it was a draw first time round this season so i think Poole could have expected to win with Swindon being depleted

Dont get me wrong us at Ipswich have a poor manager with his tactics....but to me Middlo messed up

Not to me he didn't Covatti had 3 zero's and NBJ wasn't flying , Worrall was going well, passed Jensen in one race, Klindt was going ok so the only rider either reserve could have replaced was Josh and bear in mind Covatti got passed by Perks in heat 12 and NBJ only beat a reserve in heat 14.

You have to be there really to see the whole picture if reserves deserve extra rides or not,,  reading words sometimes doesn't tell the whole story

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

The results yesterday for me  was not important but yesterday was another kick in the teeth  for speedway in the U.K.I didn't go to Poole but the track there has been a disgrace for along time  also Swindon last night i have to say it looked  dangerous to ride.Both club's need to address there problems otherwise even some of the diehards will drift away and never comeback on a regular basis.At Swindon the racing did improve later on and there was a couple of half decent races maybe if they could have a behind closed doors practice that would help bed the track down again.Jensen what a amazing performance he gave everything attacked the track and got his just rewards also i believe he will score useful points on some of the away tracks as well.Jensen is a rider who has been mentioned on the forum in some people's team planning i remember Gavan mentioning him as a potential Ipswich signing not going overboard but he looks a real bonus of a signing.Poole even without Kurtz look really solid Holder looked classy and all in all happy that Swindon collected a point over the two meeting's looking at it realistically  Poole missed a huge trick yesterday.

I had a lucky escape yesterday Sid. I was planning to attend both meetings, but the weather put me off. So i stayed local and went to Kent instead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

Probably the better choice to avoid the first bend hole?!

Poole were never once in the lead so to get the away draw was a fine performance.

Have to disagree a little there tho. With Tobi missing and Doyle not riding in 13 and 15 Swindon were there for the taking. If I was a Poole fan I’d be disappointed to not get maximum points at the Abbey.

4 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

Have to disagree a little there tho. With Tobi missing and Doyle not riding in 13 and 15 Swindon were there for the taking. If I was a Poole fan I’d be disappointed to not get maximum points at the Abbey.

Im a Poole and i am always disappointed when we don't win but would have lost with a fit Doyle so happy with two points. 

2 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Probably the better choice to avoid the first bend hole?!

Poole were never once in the lead so to get the away draw was a fine performance.

So to summarise,

• Doyle had 3 rides out of 5 scoring a total of 5 points.
  • There was no Tobi Musielak - his RR totalled 6
  • The Poole reserves beat their counterparts 12-4

However, it was a fine performance? Given those stats Swindon should have been lucky to get within 12 points of Poole.

Excellent bit of spin doctoring if I may so...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foreverblue said:

Im a Poole and i am always disappointed when we don't win but would have lost with a fit Doyle so happy with two points. 

And you would have lost with a fit Doyle and Musielak. Losing both early and then late on meant they were there for the taking imho.

7 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

And you would have lost with a fit Doyle and Musielak. Losing both early and then late on meant they were there for the taking imho.

Possibly but it doesn't always work out as planned or expected and that is the beauty of sport.

37 minutes ago, theblueboy said:

So to summarise,

However, it was a fine performance? Given those stats Swindon should have been lucky to get within 12 points of Poole.

At the start of the day Poole fans would have been happy with a point im sure.

But the way the day went with Pooles track taking away two of Swindons better riders , and Swindons reserves being awful.................this was a huge chance to win for Poole and they blew it

I can understand them being happy with a point but this was a massive massive opportunity to win and win well

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, theblueboy said:

So to summarise,

The track was a lottery at the start which Swindon won, Covatti broke down when leading by the proverbial mile  and Josh G wasn't anywhere near his best, possibly suffering with a hand injury.

Edited by foreverblue

10 minutes ago, Gavan said:

But the way the day went with Pooles track taking away two of Swindons better riders , and Swindons reserves being awful.................this was a huge chance to win for Poole and they blew it

I can understand them being happy with a point but this was a massive massive opportunity to win and win well

Ellis Perks went flying past NBJ in heat 14

12 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

Possibly but it doesn't always work out as planned or expected and that is the beauty of sport.

Always variables of course. However when you are facing a team with riders missing, riders getting injured in the match before and a number one not fit to ride in his last 2 heats any opposition team should smell blood and go for the win.

The perfect example of that is the Aces V Wolves double header yesterday. Wolves had 2 riders returning from injury and were potentially there for the taking. And that’s precisely what the Aces did. On paper we were stronger but dodgy during that transition period. 

Sometimes those sort of situations can either work in your favour when least expected.

10 minutes ago, Gavan said:

Very happy with 2 points actually!   

Which 2 Swindon riders did Poole's track take away?  Doyle injured his arm at Swindon when he hit the first bend hole and Musialak was carrying the injury from previous meetings - he jarred it again in Poland - and was unfit to ride when he turned up at Poole. He was only sent out for one race when it was decided in advance that he would lay the bike down and withdraw from the meeting so that Swindon could use IRR, otherwise they wouldn't have a facility for him!!! It was the talk of the pits before the start!!  Fact not opinion!