British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
martinmauger

Fill Up With Fuel - Speedway Style

I just read there are  Speedway Gas Stations in the USA, had to check if it was true.  It is so had to post, obviously (hope links work) ....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speedway_LLC

https://www.google.com/search?q=speedway+gas+stations&tbm=isch&source=univ&client=firefox-b-d&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjDofKE6LbiAhUVShUIHay-DzUQsAR6BAgHEAE&biw=1024&bih=604

https://www.marathonpetroleum.com/Operations/Retail-Gas-Stations/

Edited by martinmauger
grammar

You didn't have to check; all you had to do was ask me! They are one of the "budget" stations, and we have one here in town, about 2 miles from the house, and there is another about 3 miles the other way.

I don't usually use it for fuel, but I often stop there for a coffee...

Steve

Could have I suppose, strange my friends & relatives in 'the states' have never mentioned the brand, perhaps I've finally 'turned them right off speedway, the sport' :D.  Mind, in Hull we have Speedway Couriers with no actual speedway connection as far as I know.....

2 hours ago, martinmauger said:

Could have I suppose, strange my friends & relatives in 'the states' have never mentioned the brand, perhaps I've finally 'turned them right off speedway, the sport' :D.  Mind, in Hull we have Speedway Couriers with no actual speedway connection as far as I know.....

Well, remember that in the US, the term "speedway" applies to most motorsports, in particular to the tracks. I mean, there is the Indianapolis Motor Speedway (home of the Indy 500) which every American knows. Then there's is also a REAL speedway track in Indianapolis (Mid-America Speedway), which pretty much nobody knows!

So, most of us "speedway" fans in the US have come to accept that as popular a word as "speedway" is, it invariably has bugger all to do with our sport!

Steve

^^ This, though they are vaguely aware of the sport of speedway but with very few tracks & riders it just ain't that big in 'the states' , a bit like baseball in this country I guess.  Though some motorsports like Nascar, drag racing & especially drifting (high-speed powersliding) rule over there....

Edited by martinmauger
added speedway non-popularity in USA info

Speedway is a term that was about before what you think of as speedway even existed.As chunky said speedway refers to tracks like Indianapolis which opened around 1910 or so and speedway racing was referred to at that time.....the sport we know was at first dirt track racing, but I have posted the link a couple of times here before in the US report of the early days at Indianapolis it referred to speedway racing because they were racing on the speedway. This as I said around 1910

Edited by iris123

22 minutes ago, martinmauger said:

^^ This, though they are vaguely aware of the sport of speedway but with very few tracks & riders it just ain't that big in 'the states' , a bit like baseball in this country I guess.  Though some motorsports like Nascar, drag racing & especially drifting (high-speed powersliding) rule over there....

You are W-A-Y overestimating the status of speedway in the US!  Nothing close to baseball in the UK, because at least everyone knows what baseball is.

Take a country this size, stick three or four tracks in California, one in Indiana, and one in upstate New York, and that is it. There are odd tracks that host sporadic events, but outside of the actual speedway community, NOBODY even know it exists - or ever existed. Yes, it is that bad here...

Steve

Just watching the Indy 500 and showed you an air shot and looks like there is a speedway/dirt track on the inside of the oval.

7 hours ago, Richspeedway said:

Just watching the Indy 500 and showed you an air shot and looks like there is a speedway/dirt track on the inside of the oval.

It is a clay dirt oval that was built last year for midget cars. The "real" speedway track is at the Marion County Fairgrounds south-east of the city (I-465 and I-74).

Steve

• Like 1

On 5/26/2019 at 3:07 PM, chunky said:

You are W-A-Y overestimating the status of speedway in the US!  Nothing close to baseball in the UK, because at least everyone knows what baseball is.

Take a country this size, stick three or four tracks in California, one in Indiana, and one in upstate New York, and that is it. There are odd tracks that host sporadic events, but outside of the actual speedway community, NOBODY even know it exists - or ever existed. Yes, it is that bad here...

Steve

I was being kind.  A lot of people in the UK don't know what speedway is either; "speedway ? what's that" still gets asked, that and "speedway, is it still going?", like why shouldn't it still be in existance.  But yeah, most Amercians presume 'a speedway' i.e. one of the bigger tarmac ovals, but speedway as we know it (Jim) is very much a small potatoes sport 'the states and sadly not hugely bigger over here anymore....

12 hours ago, martinmauger said:

I was being kind.  A lot of people in the UK don't know what speedway is either; "speedway ? what's that" still gets asked, that and "speedway, is it still going?", like why shouldn't it still be in existance.  But yeah, most Amercians presume 'a speedway' i.e. one of the bigger tarmac ovals, but speedway as we know it (Jim) is very much a small potatoes sport 'the states and sadly not hugely bigger over here anymore....

...and, of course, Elvis appeared in a film entitled "Speedway".

• Like 1

‘Speedway’gas is the brand that is exclusively available in Walt Disney World in Florida. There are at least two gas stations within the property area and it always makes me smile!

i think it used to be Texaco but ‘Speedway’ obviously won the contract a few years ago.