British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bigcatdiary

Peterborough v Kings Lynn Premiership Mon May 27th

2 hours ago, bdjfan said:

I couldn't understand why the track was so slow tonight.

Bet it was slicker than the Poole meeting, must've been because of the possible rain?

19 minutes ago, Gemini said:

Absolutely love Peterborough ~ the track, the racing, the music, just everything. Also love my dogs who are so good and go to sleep while the match is on. My cars not bad either as it's almost 18 years old and can still belt along at 70......I mean 60........when there aren't any speed limits on the A47.  If anyone is feeling a bit depressed with Speedway take a trip to Peterborough. :)

I take it you think Buster is doing an OK job there :t:

• Like 1

Looks like it. The track was brilliant today and one big factor was hardly any boring tractor laps so the dirt stayed on the outside.

Edited by Gemini
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Gemini said:

Absolutely love Peterborough ~ the track, the racing, the music, just everything. Also love my dogs who are so good and go to sleep while the match is on. My cars not bad either as it's almost 18 years old and can still belt along at 70......I mean 60........when there aren't any speed limits on the A47.  If anyone is feeling a bit depressed with Speedway take a trip to Peterborough. :)

Same. A brilliant track and I was so pleased when it was confirmed they'd come up.

NSS and EOS are not just 2 of the best in the UK, they are 2 of the best in the world.

• Like 3

Good meeting. Have always enjoyed Peterborough as a race track and it didn't disappoint. Very well prepared by Buster in his Stars jacket. 

Have managed to catch Lynn at Ipswich and today and they look a poor side. Lamberts scores are completely unacceptable for a number one and will be in trouble when Toft moves up.

A couple of areas of annoyance-Turnstiles had 6 bays to pay but only 3 open plus a season ticket entrance. Open all of them up to stop queuing and shambles of people moving from queue to queue resulting in people getting p1ssed off.

Clean the bloody seats in the stand. Dirt and dust all over them. Not acceptable in this day and age to pay over £20 (with a programme) to have to sit in dirt. I know most speedway fans turn up in their best Lonsdale but have some respect for the paying customer.

Music-one of the better sound systems in British speedway but not a tune from the last 20 years played. Grease, Wigfield-Saturday night & Buck's Fizz Eurovision classic "making your mind up" stand out as particular horrors among many. Get with the times.

20 minutes ago, Chris said:

Good meeting. Have always enjoyed Peterborough as a race track and it didn't disappoint. Very well prepared by Buster in his Stars jacket. 

Have managed to catch Lynn at Ipswich and today and they look a poor side. Lamberts scores are completely unacceptable for a number one and will be in trouble when Toft moves up.

A couple of areas of annoyance-Turnstiles had 6 bays to pay but only 3 open plus a season ticket entrance. Open all of them up to stop queuing and shambles of people moving from queue to queue resulting in people getting p1ssed off.

Clean the bloody seats in the stand. Dirt and dust all over them. Not acceptable in this day and age to pay over £20 (with a programme) to have to sit in dirt. I know most speedway fans turn up in their best Lonsdale but have some respect for the paying customer.

Music-one of the better sound systems in British speedway but not a tune from the last 20 years played. Grease, Wigfield-Saturday night & Buck's Fizz Eurovision classic "making your mind up" stand out as particular horrors among many. Get with the times.

Sounds like he is getting there, despite all the moaning Panthers fans that he had put down crap shale :t:

8 hours ago, Gemini said:

Looks like it. The track was brilliant today and one big factor was hardly any boring tractor laps so the dirt stayed on the outside.

Same as last thursday. Seems like the penny has dropped at the showground.

9 hours ago, Gemini said:

Out of interest, as that's the first time that I can recall seeing you there this year, how many of the 8 Panthers home fixtures have you been to in 2019? That's in no way a dig at you or your excellent post, but our 6 fingered colleague has his cattle prod out and used your post to justify his Buster love in :)

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Chris said:

A turnstile needs staff though so it's easy to see the solution but doesn't seem to be so easy to provide the answer given that volunteers are in short supply, as the taped off stand sections indicate.

Fair point about the stand seats, been like that for a good few seasons now. They were actually quite clean yesterday considering that we'd had a Thursday meeting. If you attend at other times then bring your Mr Sheen and a rag. I guess that the EoES kept it clean generally in days gone by but only bother now for the very few major events that they have on now. It's no doubt another responsibility delegated to the user, i.e us, that's low priority, if any priority at all?

Music's always subjective isn't it. As long as it's not something with thumping base or pertaining to rap then I'm not too fussed. I never heard any of those tunes yesterday which is unusual, I must have been enjoying myself :D

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Crump99 said:

A turnstile needs staff though so it's easy to see the solution but doesn't seem to be so easy to provide the answer given that volunteers are in short supply, as the taped off stand sections indicate.

Fair point about the stand seats, been like that for a good few seasons now. They were actually quite clean yesterday considering that we'd had a Thursday meeting. If you attend at other times then bring your Mr Sheen and a rag. I guess that the EoES kept it clean generally in days gone by but only bother now for the very few major events that they have on now. It's no doubt another responsibility delegated to the user, i.e us, that's low priority, if any priority at all?

Music's always subjective isn't it. As long as it's not something with thumping base or pertaining to rap then I'm not too fussed. I never heard any of those tunes yesterday which is unusual, I must have been enjoying myself :D

Steady on, mate . . . . :o:rofl:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Crump99 said:

Out of interest, as that's the first time that I can recall seeing you there this year, how many of the 8 Panthers home fixtures have you been to in 2019? That's in no way a dig at you or your excellent post, but our 6 fingered colleague has his cattle prod out and used your post to justify his Buster love in :)

I can give an answer as a fellow exiled Bee that has been to all of them apart from the British Youth Championship.

Whilst the racing has clearly been consistently better in the last two meetings, I enjoyed the first five as well, and each meeting had a handful of decent races. The Wolves meeting in April was very good I thought.

Peterborough, for me, is a track where even processional racing looks thrilling as the bikes continually flow like they are supposed to. No parking the bike on a ridiculously tight turn before you pootle off up the next straight.

I've been to 19 meetings this season and the 7 Peterborough ones would all comfortably make the top half.  Scunthorpe and Belle Vue probably the only other tracks where I could claim to have been entertained.

Just now, CB252 said:

I can give an answer as a fellow exiled Bee that has been to all of them apart from the British Youth Championship.

Whilst the racing has clearly been consistently better in the last two meetings, I enjoyed the first five as well, and each meeting had a handful of decent races. The Wolves meeting in April was very good I thought.

Peterborough, for me, is a track where even processional racing looks thrilling as the bikes continually flow like they are supposed to. No parking the bike on a ridiculously tight turn before you pootle off up the next straight.

I've been to 19 meetings this season and the 7 Peterborough ones would all comfortably make the top half.  Scunthorpe and Belle Vue probably the only other tracks where I could claim to have been entertained.

Just some food for thought but I’ve always felt the top league should look like this:

Belle Vue

Scunthorpe

Somerset

Peterborough

Glasgow

Sheffield

Poole (when relaid)

Swindon (once settled)

Those are the best tracks in the Uk with the best entertainment. Also a nice north/south split. I know it’s early for Swindon but from the little I’ve seen it looks like it could grow into a decent little track. 

Those circuits when prepared correctly would provide good racing and would go some way to fixing the sports image. The top league needs the best tracks to really shout about the product, imo.

1 hour ago, Crump99 said:

I have always thought there could be a better way to enter for season ticket holders, I am always a bit simplistic, but could they not walk through the entrance without having to go to a till, then show their ticket to the staff who are clipping tickets from paying fans, and said staff then give them a program they could carry on a shoulder bag or have on a table , it isn't as if we have to go through turnstiles.

• Like 1

I can only repeat what was said on previous posts about the meeting yesterday. Was a little unsure on the drive over as went through some showers and thought will it be on or only see a couple of races before the rain comes but apart from a little shower halfway through seemed to dodge the worse of the weather.

Racing was excellent and only been to a few Panthers fixtures the last few years but can say that was one of the best with a great track, good atmosphere with a good sized crowd there.

I was not sure if the meeting went through without any tractors as they were worried about the weather so wanted to rush it through but yes it was great to see no breaks after every 3-4 heats for the tractor racing.

Good to see at the end of the meeting as well on the riders still getting off the truck and going down to meet the people who stop and shake hands, have photo, autographs with the fans.

I would of said one down side was getting out the carpark afterwards but to be fair for the amount of cars it did not seem to bad to get out compared to some other tracks I have been too.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, acef said:

Just some food for thought but I’ve always felt the top league should look like this:

Belle Vue

Scunthorpe

Somerset

Peterborough

Glasgow

Sheffield

Poole (when relaid)

Swindon (once settled)

Those are the best tracks in the Uk with the best entertainment. Also a nice north/south split. I know it’s early for Swindon but from the little I’ve seen it looks like it could grow into a decent little track. 

Those circuits when prepared correctly would provide good racing and would go some way to fixing the sports image. The top league needs the best tracks to really shout about the product, imo.

You ever been to Redcar good racing there

• Like 3