Sign in to follow this  
bigcatdiary

Peterborough v Kings Lynn Premiership Mon May 27th

12 minutes ago, Normski said:

You ever been to Redcar good racing there

That should be on the list my apologies. It’s an excellent track

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Same as last thursday. Seems like the penny has dropped at the showground.

I personally think he should've done more grading, racing line went out too wide, riders shouldn't have to ride so close to the air fence ....

15 minutes ago, Trees said:

I personally think he should've done more grading, racing line went out too wide, riders shouldn't have to ride so close to the air fence ....

I was at kent yesterday, but it seemed perfect last thursday.

1 hour ago, acef said:

Just some food for thought but I’ve always felt the top league should look like this:

Belle Vue

Scunthorpe

Somerset

Peterborough

Glasgow

Sheffield

Poole (when relaid)

Swindon (once settled)

Those are the best tracks in the Uk with the best entertainment. Also a nice north/south split. I know it’s early for Swindon but from the little I’ve seen it looks like it could grow into a decent little track. 

Those circuits when prepared correctly would provide good racing and would go some way to fixing the sports image. The top league needs the best tracks to really shout about the product, imo.

Wolves is missing and has been one of the better prepared tracks over the past 10 years. 

You cant Redcar should be on (in another post) and not Wolves because Redcar was based on Wolves by CVS.

You want variety in any league also.

4 hours ago, Crump99 said:

Out of interest, as that's the first time that I can recall seeing you there this year, how many of the 8 Panthers home fixtures have you been to in 2019? That's in no way a dig at you or your excellent post, but our 6 fingered colleague has his cattle prod out and used your post to justify his Buster love in :)

My second visit this season as unfortunately I can't make the midweek ones unless a Bank Holiday.  I've always loved  Peterborough so even when their fans are saying it wasn't such a good meeting it's a damn sight better than any ones at Leicester.  Also reading comments about the Poole and Swindon tracks on the same day I reckon Panthers fans should be pleased they can watch their speedway on a well prepared track.  Okay it might not have been at the beginning of the season but it's definitely getting there now so if that's down to Buster then all credit to him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Trees said:

No thanks. ......and that's probably what makes the racing so exciting to watch. I still think Speedway riders are all crackers though, no matter which part of the track they are on. :D

2 hours ago, Trees said:

It was left too long before anything was done. It didn't need lots of tractor racing but some of that outside line should have been brought back in earlier so basically I'd agree with that. The rain shower didn't help but neither did watering shiny concrete. It's a fine line though and it worked Thursday so why change was the reasoning I guess.

Edited by Crump99
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stevebrum said:

Wolves is missing and has been one of the better prepared tracks over the past 10 years. 

You cant Redcar should be on (in another post) and not Wolves because Redcar was based on Wolves by CVS.

You want variety in any league also.

The variety can be in the league below, imo.

Redcar is very different to wolves, it’s small but it rides like a big track. Same as Somerset and Scunthorpe.

I know you don’t want to hear it, but I believe Wolves is no longer the track it was and just doesn’t suit the modern machine anymore. As well prepared as monmore is, I think it’s had it’s day. Riders poodle around and get in all sorts of bother with it. There is no natural flow to it.

Speaking to quite a few bv fans yesterday who all said the same thing, since going to the NSS you realise just how poor monmore is now. That’s not being arrogant it’s just an honest observation.

3 hours ago, Mick Bratley said:

Steady on, mate . . . . :o:rofl:

And another thing while you're on :P

Did you read this:

"one of the better sound systems in British speedway"

Before we got the improved sound system and I used to moan about those speakers at the back and the crap sound levels, you weren't having any of it and always said that it was my ears :D

6 minutes ago, acef said:

The variety can be in the league below, imo.

Redcar is very different to wolves, it’s small but it rides like a big track. Same as Somerset and Scunthorpe.

I know you don’t want to hear it, but I believe Wolves is no longer the track it was and just doesn’t suit the modern machine anymore. As well prepared as monmore is, I think it’s had it’s day. Riders poodle around and get in all sorts of bother with it. There is no natural flow to it.

Speaking to quite a few bv fans yesterday who all said the same thing, since going to the NSS you realise just how poor monmore is now. That’s not being arrogant it’s just an honest observation.

The problem with an Aces fans opinion is just that any track is going to be inferior regards racing so are bound to see most other tracks as inferior.

I know Monmore of the past couple of seasons that the racing hasn’t been as good ands that’s quite a bit to do with the loss of Doc as trackman and availability of suitable shale has been a key issue however there were rarely ever any rider moans when Doc was in charge which says more about why reasons Monmore isn’t as good as it was than riders struggling with the track.

you can’t say ‘riders poddle around and get in all sorts of bother with it’  unless you go on a regular basis.

Thats an accusation thrown at it for years yet SKY loved coming and filming and was regularly voted best prepared. So it’s mostly a nonsense and false claim.

4 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

The problem with an Aces fans opinion is just that any track is going to be inferior regards racing so are bound to see most other tracks as inferior.

I know Monmore of the past couple of seasons that the racing hasn’t been as good ands that’s quite a bit to do with the loss of Doc as trackman and availability of suitable shale has been a key issue however there were rarely ever any rider moans when Doc was in charge which says more about why reasons Monmore isn’t as good as it was than riders struggling with the track.

you can’t say ‘riders poddle around and get in all sorts of bother with it’  unless you go on a regular basis.

Thats an accusation thrown at it for years yet SKY loved coming and filming and was regularly voted best prepared. So it’s mostly a nonsense and false claim.

It’s always well prepared, I’ll not dispute that.

However, Monmore suits the lay down machine and the track was at its strongest over those periods. I’ve seen riders turn themselves inside out going into the bends at the green. Now some of that is rider skill but generally it’s down to today’s bikes.

Its not a critical swipe at the track, I just think the bikes and riders have evolved and it’s no longer fit for purpose.

In respect of bv fans, I can’t agree with that. Peterborough is a truly wonderful track and so is Somerset, Scunthorpe and even Redcar on my recent visits. All the NSS has done is make bv supporters appreciate the current climate and just how important the flow of a speedway track is.

1 hour ago, Gemini said:

No thanks. ......and that's probably what makes the racing so exciting to watch. I still think Speedway riders are all crackers though, no matter which part of the track they are on. :D

Trouble is one tiny mistake and they crash when out so wide, not what I want to see. But then I've never been against track prep during the meetings, when we had a deep track at Lynn, Huggy went out after every race to get rid of the berms to make the track safe for the riders, he was the king of keeping a perfect track imo, he was so conscientious about his track ...

14 minutes ago, Trees said:

Trouble is one tiny mistake and they crash when out so wide, not what I want to see. But then I've never been against track prep during the meetings, when we had a deep track at Lynn, Huggy went out after every race to get rid of the berms to make the track safe for the riders, he was the king of keeping a perfect track imo, he was so conscientious about his track ...

He was till he needed a Jimmy Riddle and jumped the fence while a race was still on to get back to his Tractor -_-.  JC had words with him and he was never to be seen again

Good trackman though.  Not many his equal.  

2 hours ago, Crump99 said:

And another thing while you're on :P

Did you read this:

"one of the better sound systems in British speedway"

Before we got the improved sound system and I used to moan about those speakers at the back and the crap sound levels, you weren't having any of it and always said that it was my ears :D

That's called customer management fella. :D

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Trees said:

I bet the riders love it. :D 

We will have to agree to disagree  because numerous laps of the tractor going round every couple of heats drives me mad, especially if it's a cold night, so if it's every heat you wouldn't see me again.  Afraid Kings Lynn was off my list anyway several years ago after a 40 minute sun break, then another delay while Chris Harris (& another Coventry rider who I have forgotten) were both knocked off by Puk and had to return to the pits to sort their bikes out, followed by an interval after they finally got the race going again.. Why not have the interval while there was a delay? There was a bitterly cold  wind in spite of the sun so I was frozen and cheesed off the match was taking so long. Haven't been back since, which is a shame because they allow dogs. 

• Like 1