British Speedway Forum
mickthemuppet

Who will be the next Prime Minister of the United Kingdom

11 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

And why do you think I might be alright Jack? Perhaps because I applied myself to something, found the opportunities and made things happen. And since then haven't rested on my laurels expecting to do the same thing forever more. 

Over the years there's been a number of up-and-downs, disappointments and missing out on things because someone else's face fits better, but I don't sit around blaming others and just find something else wherever that may be. There's plenty of opportunities for everyone if you're willing to find them - you bump into Brits all around the world who've done well for themselves despite starting out with limited skills. 

For once, I find myself agreeing with Humph! :o

and me, and I given him a "like", thats 2 in the last 24 hours...... must be the heat!

• Haha 1

So, Boris promises 20,000 more police officers. When do we want them - Now. When are we going to get them - Now..... well in just a few weeks time, September, recruitment will take place.  Good ole Boris.

3 hours ago, DC2 said:

They must live within their means.

But if Romanians can come all the way over here and have three jobs, including cleaning and car washing, are the British poor travelling to find work and trying hard enough?

Many do live within there means but do some of the vulnerable get help No, i totally  agree about the lazy sitting around moaning and blaming others you are spot on in that assumption.Look at it from another angle DC2 are people entitled to moan and blame Parliament now for there behaviour in the last three years concerning Brexit.?

4 hours ago, DC2 said:

I haven’t portrayed a future, I’ve just commented on a present where many at the economic bottom of society have created their mess themselves but never accept responsibility for it.

If you’ve had a poor education and you have a crap job, don’t start a family of four, go back to college, even part time night school, to improve your prospects, and don’t waste your money on beer, fags and tattoos, save it. 

I would have laughed if it wasn’t so sad and pathetic, but in the aftermath of the right wing NSU killings a tv crew went to one exEast German town to talk to a few neighbors (friends) of the woman who was part of the terror team. They sat in this horrible room, the table full of beer cans and fag butts and looked quite rough. Then started talking about how foreigners were to blame for this, that and the other.And they come from an area where there is only an extremely small immigrant population, less than 5%

Edited by iris123

6 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

You know what, I like Boris in many ways.  "Lets get rid of the negativity in the UK" - I agree, the UK seems to be "full" of doom and gloomers, all negative and nothing positive. Must be the younger generation then the one brought up in the post war years when there was nothing but something good came about. U can get back to where it was before, UK coexisted with the mainland europeans before, still do, and will do in the future. UK wants to trade with Europe, what it does not need is to be tied into a political union. Obviously the EU diplomats deem the EU to be the best thing since sliced bread. A lot of "normal" people in the Eu think differently, 

A lot of waffle that doesn’t really tell us much

Yes Trump supporters like what he say’s and does and of course wanted a change from Clinton/Obama. But his popularity has stayed roughly the same. The majority though voted for Obama when he was in power and the majority voted for H.Clinton when she was up against Trump. Just the quirk of where the voters live put him in power

And If May was ‘allowed’ to do what she wanted we would be out of the EU now. BoJo will only be ‘allowed’ if what he wants to do is popular. He isn’t Putin or Erdogan

And a lot of people in the UK want to stay in the EU, is as relevant as you saying a lot of normal people don’t think it is the best thing since sliced bread, blah, blah, blah

7 minutes ago, iris123 said:

A lot of waffle that doesn’t really tell us much

Yes Trump supporters like what he say’s and does and of course wanted a change from Clinton/Obama. But his popularity has stayed roughly the same. The majority though voted for Obama when he was in power and the majority voted for H.Clinton when she was up against Trump. Just the quirk of where the voters live put him in power

You told us all that before but the fact is TRUMP IS PRESIDENT

And If May was ‘allowed’ to do what she wanted we would be out of the EU now. BoJo will only be ‘allowed’ if what he wants to do is popular. He isn’t Putin or Erdogan

Thank goodness some could see Mays deal was not taking UK out of EU

And a lot of people in the UK want to stay in the EU, is as relevant as you saying a lot of normal people don’t think it is the best thing since sliced bread, blah, blah, blah

and blah blah blah to you too.

Edited by OveFundinFan

16 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

You told us that before but the fact is TRUMP IS PRESIDENT 

Yes and that was in answer to you going on about his popularity. Looks like you want to go round in circles. The fact is he isn’t all that popular. Remained around the 40% mark. But of course like anyone including Putin, Erdogan or even Mugabe he is popular among his supporters. And I am sure Boris will be as well, just as Corbyn is

Just one example of Americans not following Trump

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49124695

Edited by iris123

6 hours ago, pugwash said:

everyone has the ability to better themselves, it's the lazy that don't.

They don’t always have the luck though.

Ive done pretty well from my starting point, spending my early years in and upstairs flat in West Ham to now, a detached house in a rural area, despite having left school without much ambition and having spent too much of my school life mucking around.

Yes I’ve worked but I am the first to admit I’ve been very lucky, first by having parents that encouraged me to think beyond getting the sort of dead end job most of my mates finished up in, secondly by the right doors opening at the right time to get into the right jobs, thirdly for spending one 13 year period in particular when I worked alongside some people with terrific talent and team spirit that rubbed off on me, and fourthly by meeting people in my Social life that opened my eyes to all kinds of ideas and an approach to life that I would never have achieved on by own.

Yes , I have worked hard, but so have lots of others, but fortunately for me , I got the breaks when others didn’t. My life could have been very different without the right breaks at the right time. Not a day goes by when I don’t stop and reflect on the good fortune Ive had. Most people need it in some measure to do well

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

by meeting people in my Social life that opened my eyes to all kinds of ideas and an approach to life that I would never have achieved on by own.

A hell of an underrated, but to my mind incredibly vital part of improving yourself in life.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

A hell of an underrated, but to my mind incredibly vital part of improving yourself in life.

Yes I've often thought that it's not what you know but who you know.

4 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Yes I've often thought that it's not what you know but who you know.

I didn’t mean it in the context of people doing favours. , I meant more in the context of putting work in perspective and getting a good work  life balance. When you have a busy job it’s very easy to let it take you over, especially when you work all day with people who themselves are career minded and part of the rat race . I count myself lucky in having various good friends outside of work, and so far pretty good health. Important to count ones blessings at times. Easy to say but a lot of people don’t appreciate it.

58 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

I didn’t mean it in the context of people doing favours. , I meant more in the context of putting work in perspective and getting a good work  life balance. When you have a busy job it’s very easy to let it take you over, especially when you work all day with people who themselves are career minded and part of the rat race . I count myself lucky in having various good friends outside of work, and so far pretty good health. Important to count ones blessings at times. Easy to say but a lot of people don’t appreciate it.

When I was invited to join the Department of Zoology team at Oxford my then boss (later best mate) took me aside and taught me everything that he knew and introduced me to many influential people who helped mould my career to which I am eternally grateful.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

In life you need a bit of luck you can work hard and sometimes be crapped on from a large height then get a break and move on with your career.Personally  i have been lucky i have always worked from 1981 and i am at a stage where work is not life/death the future ahead in my opinion does look very uncertain ( i.e.) because we don't really make anything anymore production jobs are nearly gone.

Edited by Sidney the robin

5 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

In life you need a bit of luck you can work hard and sometimes be crapped on from a large height then get a break and move on with your career.Personally  i have been lucky i have always worked from 1981 and i am at a stage where work is not life/death the future ahead in my opinion does look very uncertain ( i.e.) because we don't really make anything anymore production jobs are nearly gone.

And yet there are plenty of jobs in Swindon, Sidney.