British Speedway Forum
mickthemuppet

Who will be the next Prime Minister of the United Kingdom

33 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Surely every bin man, road sweep and warehouse operative (if those are the jobs seen as needing the least qualifications) could learn elementary computer and telephone skills and have a better paid job in customer services or hospitality?

I would say the vast majority of hospitality and customer service jobs are just as badly paid, often the hourly rate is comparable but less hours are available.

There is an issue where some people think that working in a call centre for 20k carries more status than being a cleaner on the same money!

Boris promising the world to people ...big hole being dug .

1 hour ago, orion said:

Trump has proved that sometimes a leader delivers on his promises, so fingers crossed...

16 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

Trump has proved that sometimes a leader delivers on his promises, so fingers crossed...

Depends how look at it on sky news the other day  they had 15 promises that he had  made and failed on 8 of them .. had to get into Mexico with that  wall around it .

Edited by orion

3 minutes ago, orion said:

Depends how look at it on sky news the other day  they had 15 promises that he had  made and failed on 8 of them .. had to get into Mexico with that  wall around it .

THE US Supreme Court today ruled that Trump can use 2.5 billion dollars from the Pentagon budget to build the wall

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

THE US Supreme Court today ruled that Trump can use 2.5 billion dollars from the Pentagon budget to build the wall

So only another 20.5 billion left then ..

1 hour ago, orion said:

And I haven't heard anything yet (mind I've been avoiding him like the plague with his childish Churchill impersonations), about his £350 million extra a week for the NHS. 

20 minutes ago, jrs said:

And I haven't heard anything yet (mind I've been avoiding him like the plague with his childish Churchill impersonations), about his £350 million extra a week for the NHS. 

HAVE you bothered to look at the actual slogan on the bus?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Blupanther said:

My old school friend has been a bin man for years and he seems to earn plenty....

My mum had a friend whose son became a bin man despite having gained a degree at University because he was able to earn more money!

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

My mum had a friend whose son became a bin man despite having gained a degree at University because he was able to earn more money!

IT was very different when I was at school. Wanted to be a soccer journalist and left school at 15 without taking any exams and fulfilled my ambition. My cousin stayed for a couple more years and worked for the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries until he retired. Best friend left a year later than me, joined Esso, worked his way up to National Lubricants Manager and retired having worked for them for over 40 years. Another friend went to work for Martins Bank (subsequentlyBarclays) and stayed in that profession as a currency dealer, earning enough to fund a pension pot that enabled him to retire aged 50. None of us even considered the possibility of going to university. Leave school, get a job...

• Like 5

My school careers officer had me down to work for TSB. But they opened till 7pm on Friday night. Which was speedway night at Monmore Green then (1969),. So I went into an engineering apprenticeship instead. As a kid my father took me to Belle Vue in1963. First heat winner I saw was Peter Craven... Many years later I interviewed a guy for sub contract work.... he said his uncle was a World Speedway Champion... he was Paul Craven, Brian''s lad ... he got the job!  My University was the University Of Life... still trying to qualify ... I've lived under one monarch and now fourteen Prime Ministers.... I like Boris... JUST HOPE his mates don't call him Buster :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

IT was very different when I was at school. Wanted to be a soccer journalist and left school at 15 without taking any exams and fulfilled my ambition. My cousin stayed for a couple more years and worked for the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries until he retired. Best friend left a year later than me, joined Esso, worked his way up to National Lubricants Manager and retired having worked for them for over 40 years. Another friend went to work for Martins Bank (subsequentlyBarclays) and stayed in that profession as a currency dealer, earning enough to fund a pension pot that enabled him to retire aged 50. None of us even considered the possibility of going to university. Leave school, get a job...

The world has moved on since the 1950s, and of course you ended up in speedway... :D

9 hours ago, Vince said:

I would say the vast majority of hospitality and customer service jobs are just as badly paid, often the hourly rate is comparable but less hours are available.

There is an issue where some people think that working in a call centre for 20k carries more status than being a cleaner on the same money!

I'd frankly rather be a cleaner than work in a call centre. I actually didn't dislike the job I once had cleaning operating theatres.

4 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

HAVE you bothered to look at the actual slogan on the bus?

DID you bother to read the post you replied to? Did it mention a bus?

Did you forget him sitting in front of the statement "Let's give our NHS the £350 million the EU takes every week"??

Edit - Just in case you have forgotten:

stream_img.jpg

Edited by HenryW
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

The world has moved on since the 1950s, and of course you ended up in speedway... :D

And probably just as happy, or maybe happier, then you working cleaning an operating theatre.