British Speedway Forum
mickthemuppet

Who will be the next Prime Minister of the United Kingdom

8 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

IT was very different when I was at school. Wanted to be a soccer journalist and left school at 15 without taking any exams and fulfilled my ambition. My cousin stayed for a couple more years and worked for the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries until he retired. Best friend left a year later than me, joined Esso, worked his way up to National Lubricants Manager and retired having worked for them for over 40 years. Another friend went to work for Martins Bank (subsequentlyBarclays) and stayed in that profession as a currency dealer, earning enough to fund a pension pot that enabled him to retire aged 50. None of us even considered the possibility of going to university. Leave school, get a job...

I left school on the Friday after having sat an exam and started work on the Monday (MAFF) and the thought of going to University never crossed my mind...not that I had enough qualifications anyway to do so. Different world, of course, but I was glad to get into full-time work and the rest is history as they say. I've done a few night courses (City and Guilds & GCSE as well as leisure type courses) but they were purely for self interest and not for bettering myself when it came to furthering my career prospects...that I achieved by accepting various jobs and making contacts and developing skills within the work place. In fact I turned down opportunities that would have enhanced my prospects because I didn't find them attractive enough and didn't warrant consideration.

Edited by steve roberts

In thirty years of working I had only one day off sick, after returning from a business trip to Australia with bad sun burn.

On 7/28/2019 at 7:09 AM, steve roberts said:

I left school on the Friday after having sat an exam and started work on the Monday (MAFF) and the thought of going to University never crossed my mind...not that I had enough qualifications anyway to do so. Different world, of course, but I was glad to get into full-time work and the rest is history as they say. I've done a few night courses (City and Guilds & GCSE as well as leisure type courses) but they were purely for self interest and not for bettering myself when it came to furthering my career prospects...that I achieved by accepting various jobs and making contacts and developing skills within the work place. In fact I turned down opportunities that would have enhanced my prospects because I didn't find them attractive enough and didn't warrant consideration.

Wouldn't work now Steve. you can't get a job sweeping the floor without some paperwork or qualificiation to say you can sweep up . you would never get a job because you need a cv full of nonsense even to get an interview . unless of course your are a foreigner ,then you can tell employers anything you like and they will accept it as the truth .

• Like 4

On 7/27/2019 at 2:08 PM, Blupanther said:

My old school friend has been a bin man for years and he seems to earn plenty....

Only work one day a week, too..........

My old mans a dustman

he wears a dustmans hat

he wears cor-blimey trousers

and he lives in a council flat...

They don't write tunes like that anymore.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2019 at 7:09 AM, steve roberts said:

The past 

5 minutes ago, Debbs said:

The past 

...and you never know but one day you may add something constructive or indeed relevant and/or slightly witty  when posting your one line 'off the cuff' comments?

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...and you never know but one day you may add something constructive or indeed relavant and/or slightly witty  when posting your one line 'off the cuff' comments?

Jacob Marley 

5 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

You are not well keep popping the pills.

I couldn't possibly compete with somebody intellectually or on the same level who lists her interests as "Love Island" Sid!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

I couldn't possibly compete with somebody intellectually or on the same level who lists her interests as "Love Island" Sid!

UK Gold is the past .