British Speedway Forum
mike1944

Sheffield Speedway help wanted

We are coming to stay on holiday near Sheffield the week beginning July 5th and there is a scheduled meeting that week, assuming the weather is kind, we would like to attend that meeting and would have to travel by car. Please can some local supporter tell us what is the parking situation like at the track and any recommendations

26 minutes ago, mike1944 said:

We are coming to stay on holiday near Sheffield the week beginning July 5th and there is a scheduled meeting that week, assuming the weather is kind, we would like to attend that meeting and would have to travel by car. Please can some local supporter tell us what is the parking situation like at the track and any recommendations

Leicester are at Sheffield on Sunday 9th July start time 5.30 pm.

There is parking at the stadium in the stadium car park which I think costs £2.

Admission prices

Adults (aged 17 and over): £16.00
Concessions (over 65s): £13.00 with ID
Students (aged 17-22, with student card): £13.00
Children (16 and under): FREE

Programme £3.

Hi Mike, Sheffield have Redcar at home on Sunday 7th July at 5.30pm. 

All the other information Spinny has provided is correct though, and to confirm, parking at the track is £2.00. 

Postcode for the stadium for Satnav/Google maps etc is S6 2DE. 

Thanks very much for the replies, looking forward to being there,I just hope we get some decent weather.

5 hours ago, spin king said:

Leicester are at Sheffield on Sunday 9th July start time 5.30 pm.

There is parking at the stadium in the stadium car park which I think costs £2.

Admission prices

Adults (aged 17 and over): £16.00
Concessions (over 65s): £13.00 with ID
Students (aged 17-22, with student card): £13.00
Children (16 and under): FREE

Programme £3.

According to the Sheffield website Leicester are at Sheffield on 9th JUNE and Redcar are there on 7th July.

On 5/27/2019 at 6:02 PM, mike1944 said:

Mike don't forget to get there early and have your Sunday lunch in their carvey.

21 hours ago, BuxtonTiger said:

Mike don't forget to get there early and have your Sunday lunch in their carvey.

Yes Mike. Sheffield has a lot going for them and they are always worth a visit. Good car park, very good stadium, usually decent track, good public facilities including the excellent carvery. You will enjoy your visit. 

Well I finally made it on Sunday, a great shame Sheffield lost but saying that an enjoyable meeting of racing. We found both the locals and also the opposition supporters very helpful and friendly. Glad we went, the one downside is that the whole track cannot he accessed for spectators. Good luck Sheffield —onwards and upwards. What was refreshing was that both groups of supporters could stand side by side, no trouble at all and I never saw a policeman all night. A credit to speedway.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mike1944 said:

Well I finally made it on Sunday, a great shame Sheffield lost but saying that an enjoyable meeting of racing. We found both the locals and also the opposition supporters very helpful and friendly. Glad we went, the one downside is that the whole track cannot he accessed for spectators. Good luck Sheffield —onwards and upwards. What was refreshing was that both groups of supporters could stand side by side, no trouble at all and I never saw a policeman all night. A credit to speedway.

There’s more trouble on the Forum than in the Stadiums:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 6:22 PM, mike1944 said:

One of the great joys of speedway is that you get to meet supporters from every team that visits and, whatever the result, there is no animosity. This puts our beloved sport in a league above football, where fans of different teams have to be segregated to avoid violence.

Surely one of the main functions of any sport is that people from different geographies, races and cultures can meet together in mutual respect to enjoy a sporting spectacle. As soon as ignorant tribalism gets in the way of human interaction the whole purpose of sporting endeavour is lost. 

• Like 2

On 7/10/2019 at 11:37 AM, 4thbender said:

One of the great joys of speedway is that you get to meet supporters from every team that visits and, whatever the result, there is no animosity. This puts our beloved sport in a league above football, where fans of different teams have to be segregated to avoid violence.

Segregation of supporters isn't required at virtually any level of non-league football, and fan violence at League football has all but disappeared. You need to update your prejudices!

Edited by Piotr Pyszny
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Piotr Pyszny said:

Segregation of supporters isn't required at virtually any level of non-league football, and fan violence at League football has all but disappeared. You need to update your prejudices!

Presumably you've not witnessed the Battle of Bramall Lane whenever Wednesday and United meet in our great city.

On 7/18/2019 at 5:15 PM, 4thbender said:

Presumably you've not witnessed the Battle of Bramall Lane whenever Wednesday and United meet in our great city.

I used to watch Everton play Liverpool when I lived in that 'great city'. Never a problem. Perhaps it's a Sheffield thing?

1 hour ago, Piotr Pyszny said:

I used to watch Everton play Liverpool when I lived in that 'great city'. Never a problem. Perhaps it's a Sheffield thing?

No, it's a football thing. Tribalism is a curse which pervades the footballing fraternity and for decades has erupted into violence on the terraces.

I make the occasional trip to watch Sheffield. Mainly because they are my 2nd nearest team. Their meetings time suits me too. I always keep an eye on how they are doing. Such a Sporting City is Sheffield. 

• Like 1