British Speedway Forum
mike1944

Sheffield Speedway help wanted

22 hours ago, 4thbender said:

No, it's a football thing. Tribalism is a curse which pervades the footballing fraternity and for decades has erupted into violence on the terraces.

When you say "for decades", I presume  you mean the Sixties, Seventies and Eighties? Those three decades aside, football hasn't had much of a problem with violence, on or off the field, tribal or otherwise. As I said before, you need to update your prejudices. Otherwise, I'll have to conclude you simply don't know what you're talking about. Out of interest, when did you last attend a football match, non-league or Football League?

Edited by Piotr Pyszny

52 minutes ago, Piotr Pyszny said:

football hasn't had much of a problem with violence, on or off the field, tribal or otherwise. As I said before, you need to update your prejudices. Otherwise, I'll have to conclude you simply don't know what you're talking about.

Only seems to be one person who doesn't know what they're talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxZ1IkeraQ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqp57hIw8Ic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLP1pqkkSwY

Edited by CottonOn

2 hours ago, CottonOn said:

How many people go to football (any level) compared to other sports per year? Of course there is going to be fights... 

5 hours ago, Piotr Pyszny said:

When you say "for decades", I presume  you mean the Sixties, Seventies and Eighties? Those three decades aside, football hasn't had much of a problem with violence, on or off the field, tribal or otherwise. As I said before, you need to update your prejudices. Otherwise, I'll have to conclude you simply don't know what you're talking about. Out of interest, when did you last attend a football match, non-league or Football League?

I think it is important to distinguish between fans and hooligans.

Sadly, 4thbender is correct about hooliganism at the Sheffield derby. Due to good policing/stewarding at the grounds the battles take place all over the city instead, trams have been smashed, shopping centres becoming a battlefield and so on.

3 hours ago, bendover said:

Sadly, 4thbender is correct about hooliganism at the Sheffield derby. Due to good policing/stewarding at the grounds the battles take place all over the city instead, trams have been smashed, shopping centres becoming a battlefield and so on.

Just aswell we don't get it at speedway,, & by the way how many Wednesday fans go to owlerton & are you happy or disappointed that Steve Bruce & came to the toon I for 1 definitely is.. 

9 hours ago, Piotr Pyszny said:

As it happens I have a grandson who was in the training academy of a South Yorkshire football league team and gave it up completely because of the corruption and unfairness that is rife within professional football. He took up American Football and Rugby instead which he regards as "cleaner" sports. I also have a granddaughter and grandson who both play regularly in Sheffield amateur teams. Although I support all three of them whenever I can, I nevertheless wouldn't attend football league matches just to pour money into the pockets of overpaid prima donnas, sponsors and hangers-on.

And if you think football violence is a thing of the past you're kidding yourself.

7 hours ago, pienpeesman said:

Just aswell we don't get it at speedway,, & by the way how many Wednesday fans go to owlerton & are you happy or disappointed that Steve Bruce & came to the toon I for 1 definitely is.. 

Pienpeesman, I'm a season ticket holder at both Speedway and Hillsborough and my view is that the majority of Wednesday fans were absolutely gutted that Steve Bruce has left us in the lurch just before the start of the season. He has completely mugged off the club that showed him great compassion following his personal losses last year and was then welcomed and defended against personal abuse from Villa fans only to turn around and become Mike Ashley's bitch. I wouldn't want to be coming back to Hillsborough any time soon if I was him, he will get slaughtered. We now refer to him as the snake.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, TigerAl said:

Pienpeesman, I'm a season ticket holder at both Speedway and Hillsborough and my view is that the majority of Wednesday fans were absolutely gutted that Steve Bruce has left us in the lurch just before the start of the season. He has completely mugged off the club that showed him great compassion following his personal losses last year and was then welcomed and defended against personal abuse from Villa fans only to turn around and become Mike Ashley's bitch. I wouldn't want to be coming back to Hillsborough any time soon if I was him, he will get slaughtered. We now refer to him as the snake.

It'll probably be next season if he survives the wrath of Mr money bags Ashley going by his record as he's good at getting relegated.. & good luck to Sheffield at Redcar tomorrow night 

9 hours ago, 4thbender said:

As it happens I have a grandson who was in the training academy of a South Yorkshire football league team and gave it up completely because of the corruption and unfairness that is rife within professional football. He took up American Football and Rugby instead which he regards as "cleaner" sports. I also have a granddaughter and grandson who both play regularly in Sheffield amateur teams. Although I support all three of them whenever I can, I nevertheless wouldn't attend football league matches just to pour money into the pockets of overpaid prima donnas, sponsors and hangers-on.

And if you think football violence is a thing of the past you're kidding yourself.

Well, I started watching football in 1971. Post-1990, I'm struggling to remember the last 'aggro' I saw at a game - which is a reason for the socio-economic profile of football followers (not to mention the age - older - and gender - more women and girls) changing so much during the last three decades.

I can relate to your other reasons for not watching Football League matches. I switched (mostly) to non-league football a long time ago.

In common with so many, I ceased attending speedway meetings regularly, in my case circa 2008. Used to enjoy visiting Owlerton a couple of times a season.

Edited by Piotr Pyszny