British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gavan

Belle Vue v Ipswich 03/06/19

20 hours ago, Super Blue said:

I seriously doubt I'd be able to get the time off, are Belle Vue offering any deals as it's a televised meeting? 

There's a Special Offer for this one..

You get to travel for over 400 miles to get there and back from Ipswich

Spending lots on fuel and lots of hours on the road..

And then get an opportunity to pay full price upon entry..

"ROLL UP! ROLL UP! FORM AN ORDERLY QUEUE PLEASE"!

Maybe offering away fans a discount would be worthwhile, even if not the home fans?

Could have flogged £10 tickets at all the Ippo home matches this season, or from when it was announced.. (ex BV meeting in case any Aces fans in attendance that night take up the offer)...

In fact Speedway should do a reduced ticket for all away fans, sold from their own circuit..

Maybe more would go?

And the current 'morgue like' atmosphere at tracks would improve..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, mikebv said:

There's a Special Offer for this one..

You get to travel for over 400 miles to get there and back from Ipswich

Spending lots on fuel and lots of hours on the road..

And then get an opportunity to pay full price upon entry..

Not far off cheaper to get a BT subscription and watch all the other matches for the same cost! Another illustration of how the true meaning of "promoter " has been lost in the mists of time. As for the term marketing - well!  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

Should offer any season ticket holder cheap entry to an away match.  

ipswich dont like all clubs !! 

26 minutes ago, geoff58 said:

ipswich dont like all clubs !! 

Thats exactly beerhuts point

There should be a collective agreement. It could persuade more to buy a season ticket (as currently they are generally poor value - miss more than 1 for a holiday and you are out of pocket) It would then also encourage more to travel - often its not just the few quid but more the gesture of goodwill that as important

Same with discounted TV matches - it should be the norm

• Like 1

On principal I didn't even go to the home televised meeting against Wolves because if Swindon can do deals on entry why can't all the other Premiership teams? I know they wouldn't get double the attendance but at maybe a tenner I would have gone, as it was I enjoyed it from my sofa. 

The new season with good results so far has seen an increase in attendances at Foxhall but that was certainly not apparent on TV against Wolves. (Due to short sightedness of promotion) 

As Mikebv said its a flipping (not necessarily the word I would really like to use) long round trip from Ipswich , full price and for me would involve time off work on a Monday, by the time I got home I wouldn't be good for much the next day. 

Much as I would like to visit the NS Stadium sadly it's not gonna happen on a Monday night. 

Nuff said. 

On 6/1/2019 at 10:14 AM, Phil The Ace said:

NO discount as per. 

Can only see a comfortable home win. 58-32 I'm afraid 

No way it will be that big. Heeps is in the form of his life, Allen loves the place as does Bellego. I’d imagine the pole will enjoy it to. They won’t compete at the top end but Ipswich will make 40 points easily imo.

And again, an opportunity missed. Given the crowds we have had so far, and that it’s a tv fixture, this should be £10. I don’t understand why we don’t do it. There will be 1k if we are lucky. And the place will look empty on the tv.

Would expect a very sparse attendance tomorrow with no incentive to encourage fans to attend as its on tv, for me live sport is always better than watching on tv. Funny how other sports football, rugby, snooker, darts, ice hockey, etc never have such a dramatic drop in attendances when live on the telly, I know nowadays speedway has low crowds but the fans seem far quicker to stay away from televised events, with the cost of premier league football for example you would think many more would save what is in effect a bigger chunk of money than we spend on speedway and stay at home, but it doesn't happen as fans of other sports put more emphasis on live games.

When I used to be a promoter although a different sport we would regularly fill a 1200 seater arena alongside offering a completely free live stream on the whole event. 

Our full ticket prices were £30 & £50, we used to offer an early bird reduction of £20 & £35 that would always end 8 weeks prior the event.

I'd say maybe 10% of tickets went to the early bird buyers who were regular followers of the event. 

Speedway is way behind in so many areas. 

4 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Thats exactly beerhuts point

There should be a collective agreement. It could persuade more to buy a season ticket (as currently they are generally poor value - miss more than 1 for a holiday and you are out of pocket) It would then also encourage more to travel - often its not just the few quid but more the gesture of goodwill that as important

Same with discounted TV matches - it should be the norm

If you normally buy a programme the season ticket deal at Belle Vue saves you over £40 plus a small saving on the entrance fee. I worked it out when I bought my season ticket but have forgotten now just exactly what the savings were. If I remember correctly,  it equates to being able to miss about 3 meetings without being out of pocket.  Plus, you get an organised visit to the pits and an opportunity to watch racing from the centre green.

I can't see that saving £6/£8 on the entrance fee is going to influence many additional fans to travel to away meetings.  The biggest financial factor for those considering whether to go is the total cost including the travel cost and the saving on the entrance fee may only represent a fraction of that total cost.  However,  it may entice a few extra to go and therefore,  any loss in revenue to the home club wood be minimal, so it it's worth a try. 

Belle Vue have tried reduced admission in the past and it resulted in a greater financial loss.  However, the debate shouldn't end there.  There is the argument that a tv audience, seeing a big crowd, are more likely to think that this might be a sport worth going to see live. I would like to believe that to be true but unfortunately,  I have seen no evidence of that at theNSS. We had packed stadiums at the World Team Cup Final and at the SON  meetings but I saw no increase in numbers attending subsequent meetings at Belle Vue. 

Fans come out in greater numbers at bank holidays and during the summer holidays when the schools have finished.  I think that might just be telling us that, teams that can, should be running at times when families can attend, Friday,  Saturday and Sunday. It would not only increase crowd numbers but provide the opportunity to attract the younger fans we so desperately need. One big league using only riders who will commit to racing in the UK. 

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

If you normally buy a programme the season ticket deal at Belle Vue saves you over £40 plus a small saving on the entrance fee. I worked it out when I bought my season ticket but have forgotten now just exactly what the savings were. If I remember correctly,  it equates to being able to miss about 3 meetings without being out of pocket.  Plus, you get an organised visit to the pits and an opportunity to watch racing from the centre green.

I can't see that saving £6/£8 on the entrance fee is going to influence many additional fans to travel to away meetings.  The biggest financial factor for those considering whether to go is the total cost including the travel cost and the saving on the entrance fee may only represent a fraction of that total cost.  However,  it may entice a few extra to go and therefore,  any loss in revenue to the home club wood be minimal, so it it's worth a try. 

Belle Vue have tried reduced admission in the past and it resulted in a greater financial loss.  However, the debate shouldn't end there.  There is the argument that a tv audience, seeing a big crowd, are more likely to think that this might be a sport worth going to see live. I would like to believe that to be true but unfortunately,  I have seen no evidence of that at theNSS. We had packed stadiums at the World Team Cup Final and at the SON  meetings but I saw no increase in numbers attending subsequent meetings at Belle Vue. 

Fans come out in greater numbers at bank holidays and during the summer holidays when the schools have finished.  I think that might just be telling us that, teams that can, should be running at times when families can attend, Friday,  Saturday and Sunday. It would not only increase crowd numbers but provide the opportunity to attract the younger fans we so desperately need. One big league using only riders who will commit to racing in the UK. 

Traditional common sense in business suggests you 'open your doors' when your customers want you to...

That way they can buy what you sell..

British Speedway has a 'better' idea...

They don't 'open their doors' when their customers want them to..

But instead when their employees tell them they can...

And as we all accept..

Promoters know best...

• Thanks 1

On 5/29/2019 at 2:06 AM, Icicle said:

It is odd that there is not any news on Jake....

Riding for Scunthorpe today at Sheffield. 8 points from three rides so far, beaten only by the Witches skipper.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mikebv said:

Traditional common sense in business suggests you 'open your doors' when your customers want you to...

That way they can buy what you sell..

British Speedway has a 'better' idea...

They don't 'open their doors' when their customers want them to..

But instead when their employees tell them they can...

And as we all accept..

Promoters know best...

I feel compelled to add " And as we all grudgingly accept".