British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gavan

Belle Vue v Ipswich 03/06/19

4 hours ago, foreverblue said:

If ou deem it was the fault of Harris then you have total disregard for rider safety. Fricke's foot peg was in the front wheel of Harris so Fricke's bike was not in front at the time of impact, it is totally different to rider taking another rider's line to stop his move.

So if rider A crosses the finish line half a bikes length in front of rider B he was not in front at the time they crossed the line.:unsure: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

So easy for you to say all that will your money pay for it ?? 

No...

Because I haven't set myself up as a Speedway Promoter...

If I did though, my marketing budget would be a considerable 'fixed cost' that I would plan for and invest in...

And see it as a fundamental priority of my business plan...

Not something done as an 'after thought' ran by well meaning amateurs...

Because that simply doesn't work...

1 minute ago, mikebv said:

No...

Because I haven't set myself up as a Speedway Promoter...

If I did though, my marketing budget would be a considerable 'fixed cost' that I would plan for and invest in...

And see it as a fundamental priority of my business plan...

Not something done as an 'after thought' ran by well meaning amateurs...

Because that simply doesn't work...

I moan just like you Mike but there are no easy answers ,speedway  was the winner last night some great racing.I loved the old Hyde Rd my favourite ever track along with the Shay , but this track now is so exciting.God i am so envious  lucky buggers the Vue fans good team great potential in the colts team (Palin etc) but eh  oh they deserve it they had some tough years great club/ great track.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, hyderd said:

So if rider A crosses the finish line half a bikes length in front of rider B he was not in front at the time they crossed the line.:unsure: 

He is leading but not in front ;)

Could use a cycling pelaton as an example where for the purposes of the race time it only registers different if a full legnth behind

2 hours ago, geoff58 said:

kettle pot black porky parry ffs enough said !!

Ouch claws out :rofl:

36 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Could use a cycling pelaton as an example where for the purposes of the race time it only registers different if a full legnth behind

Just use when you drive a car as an example,,, when you are overtaking another car,, you don't get half way past and then move into the lane that car is in,,,,,, you wait until you are fully past. 

Max didn't do it on purpose,,,, just very poor judgement and peripheral vision 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

So easy for you to say all that will your money pay for it ?? 

There’s nothing to pay for there aside from the cheap tickets and they’re basically going to people who wouldn’t have normally come anyway. What else costs?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

I moan just like you Mike but there are no easy answers ,speedway  was the winner last night some great racing.I loved the old Hyde Rd my favourite ever track along with the Shay , but this track now is so exciting.God i am so envious  lucky buggers the Vue fans good team great potential in the colts team (Palin etc) but eh  oh they deserve it they had some tough years great club/ great track.

There is an easy answer though Sydney..

Market the sport collectively..

Create a brand image collectively...

Race on nights when you can get your best crowds not when your employees tell you they are available..

Do market research locally to focus on where to advertise more to increase your reach..

Review the price elasticity of your product to ascertain the right price v the margin/volume needed to meet profit that the customer will pay..

Then set a fixed wage budget % against your income budget, and never overspend it, if you take more than your sales budget then pay the riders more or use this cash to develop your business..

Be innovative, use professionals to support your ideas, and work together to share costs and increase overall impact..

For example. Use the NSS to help sell the sport to those watching around the country on TV. Any TV meeting there run it as a loss leader to create some interest, costs covered collectively. 

Give 50-100 tickets to the away club and pay for two coaches to get them there. Create the atmosphere so lacking sadly now of it being a 'tribal contest' that team sports should be...

In fact give away free tickets to every away team at every match to distribute to their fans (maybe season ticket holders get first option as a reward for their loyalty), and pay their travel at every match.

I guarantee that this will create atmosphere and more interest which can only create a more positive overall visiting experience for those in attendance..

And if you have a positive visiting experience anywhere you tend to want to go back.

And as away fans are mainly not there now there is no loss of income, just the cost of the travel to pay.

And to fund the travel, if you cannot get it sponsored,  maybe pay the 14 riders collectively a grand less between them so there's no additional cost involved. Works out about £70 a rider but do it pro rata on a % basis so fair to all riders..

There are lots of things they could do if they worked together for the 'greater good'' rather than doing, for all the best intentions, something by themselves that has a tiny impact on their overall business..

As Kelvin said, one of the best three tracks in the world. So use it to advertise Speedway as a whole..

And do it in a full stadium, which is full of noise from both sets of fans, creating a great brand image of a successful, well followed sport to the watching TV audience..

Bottom line is that there is no point having a great race track and running in front of crowds below break even... 

As so many other tracks are doing too if you read comments from promoters..

Because there usually is only one outcome of that..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

7 hours ago, Baldyman said:

Just use when you drive a car as an example,,, when you are overtaking another car,, you don't get half way past and then move into the lane that car is in,,,,,, you wait until you are fully past. 

Max didn't do it on purpose,,,, just very poor judgement and peripheral vision 

I think this topic is getting silly, they were racing, they don't have mirrors. Max had passed CH coming out of Bend 2, just before going into bend 3 is where the incident took place. Max knew CH was there but as he said in the interview he thought he had fully passed CH. Max was wrong, bad judgement and wham bam thank you mam, they both end up on the deck, Max was rightly excluded for the cause of the accident, no malice,no dirty riding just a speedway incident.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, hyderd said:

I think this topic is getting silly, they were racing, they don't have mirrors. Max had passed CH coming out of Bend 2, just before going into bend 3 is where the incident took place. Max knew CH was there but as he said in the interview he thought he had fully passed CH. Max was wrong, bad judgement and wham bam thank you mam, they both end up on the deck, Max was rightly excluded for the cause of the accident, no malice,no dirty riding just a speedway incident.

Yes he knew he was there so the fact they don't have mirrors is irrelevant. 

Not read all the preceding posts on the subject of speedway on the TV but for me the promoters have an obligation to market the sport in a way which makes it look as good as it can be, that’s not just a track that can provide as good as racing as possible but also encourage as many fans to come as possible and manage the stadium so it shows or at least appears to show the sport is well attended, people have said Belle Vue had a good crowd but so many empty seats made it look poor, They should have tarped off the other side and had everyone sit in the main grandstand, the production team can work with BT Sport to ensure camera angles protect the non used areas and show crowd shots of where fans are, it’s simply about hiding the negatives and exaggerating the positives, at places like Wolves this happens automatically as viewing is only available on one side anyway.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Wolfie456 said:

Ouch claws out :rofl:

give it take it :party:

4 hours ago, foreverblue said:

Yes he knew he was there so the fact they don't have mirrors is irrelevant. 

so you can read minds now, Max said in his interview that although he knew CH was there, he thought he had fully passed him.

Social media marketing is where the BSPA should be taking the sport as a whole, this is where the young kids are at, yes school visits would help locally for teams but if you're after the whole picture then Instagram, Facebook, Twitter l, YouTube etc. All need to market on such platforms.

Unfortunately the BSPA and clubs think just by having accounts on these platforms that they are doing the job but you have to spend to make money.

For my own events I used to pay £100 for a short 60 second promo video of an event, I'd spend about £200 on marketing that video on Facebook.

For £300 I would regularly sell out a 1000 seater venue, now not all tickets were sold from that but through analytics you can see key information on who engaged with it and then use that information to then market the next one, getting better results each time

The video I'm talking about had over 50,000 views, It had around 300 likes but had over 80 people comment and tag their mates saying "up for this" or "let's give this a go"

The same event sold out, we even had to turn away people at the gate which was disappointing as its lost revenue, the live stream had over 100,000 people watch it worldwide even the prince of Saudis Arabia watched it.

The 1000 people could have watched it for free at home without buying a ticket, but people love the experience of the live event and being there.

If I can do it, surely the BSPA can do it with all their heads together 

• Thanks 1