British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gavan

Belle Vue v Ipswich 03/06/19

3 hours ago, geoff58 said:

ok we will see !! :t:

I didnt say he should expect it/deserve it...

2 hours ago, Stoke Potter said:

Marketing the sport more isn't the answer at this time, essentially all you'll do is inform people how poor the product is at most UK tracks.

Using the NSS to show how great the sport is would backfire when people went along to, for example Ipswich, and witness that dirge that was served up on TV a couple of weeks back.

It's generally a different spectacle at the NSS compared to anywhere else.

The answer is staring everyone in the face - more tracks like the NSS.  Then market it and see what happens...

Apologies for the late contribution, been away for a bit...

And strangely Ipswich normally have as good a crowd as others do,, even better than some,,,even if it is as you say dirge.   And that was a good one. 

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

To be fair..

I have seldom had a Big Mac that resembles the photo on the wall..

Nor one that tastes quite as good as the advert had led me to believe...;)

The sport needs a jewel in the crown to build everything else around it...

Most tracks it would appear need around 500 or so a week more to become at least 'break even'...

Just 500...

Even if they got that for one week after a great advert for the sport on TV it must help...

What they do with them when they get there is then down to the club..

But getting them there in the first place has to be the priority....

The NSS, with a full Grandstand, and lots of away fans to add atmosphere, allied to the usual great racing, must have a chance of being the advert that persuades a few hundred ex fans at least to attend their local track, even if no newbies can be attracted..

In the short term get the sport back on track (no pun intended) and then long term start to replicate some thing similar to what the NSS has to offer (if possible) around the country..

The thing is we do get a lot of visitors to the NSS, just not all at the same time. We probably have around 1000-1200 diehards who turn up every week and the additional 500 or so that add to that aren’t the same people. Especially with some of the non Belle Vue events we run the number of unique locals that visit the NSS each year is between 3000-4000. The trick is to get them all to come at the same time. The fact they don’t is because they are not that arsed, despite excellent speedway that’s put on for them. 

It’s hard for us fans to comprehend, due to our love of the sport but speedway like many other things just doesn’t appeal to people unfortunately. 

Was it Arena Essex that last let people in for free and got 4000 or something?

The following week the crowd was back to it's usual level if I recall correctly..? 
That tells you something, the question is what?

The NSS is a jewel in the sport's crown already, however there are precious few other gems about for the sport in the UK.

Speedway has an image problem and that cannot be changed by the NSS on it's own.

• Like 1

Free speedway,,,, still only 4000,,,think that tells the biggest story,,,,,, and that was when crowds were bigger than they are now

Edited by Baldyman

9 hours ago, ouch said:

Can you give us some more info about your event?

Belle Vue have 30 outdoor events over a 7 month period with almost all taking place on a weekday and an element of repetition (Panthers back for the third time in 10 weeks) that takes away that special event feel. 

I dont do the event now, I stopped back in 2016  but it was mixed martial arts,  built it up from nothing in 2012, it's now owned and run by a Cage Warrior brand, the show that launched Conor McGregor 

9 hours ago, Falcon1983 said:

I dont do the event now, I stopped back in 2016  but it was mixed martial arts,  built it up from nothing in 2012, it's now owned and run by a Cage Warrior brand, the show that launched Conor McGregor 

If I’ve got the right website it appears they run one event in each location per year and they are currently selling tickets for their last three events for this year, all indoors. 

Whilst I agree about social media marketing, you cannot compare the two when measuring achieved attendance levels. 

11 hours ago, Baldyman said:

Free speedway,,,, still only 4000,,,think that tells the biggest story,,,,,, and that was when crowds were bigger than they are now

I believe it was over 7000. I was there that evening as they were riding against Poole. The roads were completely jammed around the area backing up to the M25 tunnel. If we hadn’t beeped our horn and passed dozens and dozens of cars to push in we wouldn’t have got there until heat 8. Got there just before tapes up. Middlo got stuck in it and arrived mid meeting. Many locals were well peed off as they also got stuck. Think it was a televised meeting. Absolutely huge crowd. But the following week they had a regular sized attendance so lost on the promotion.

3 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I believe it was over 7000. I was there that evening as they were riding against Poole. The roads were completely jammed around the area backing up to the M25 tunnel. If we hadn’t beeped our horn and passed dozens and dozens of cars to push in we wouldn’t have got there until heat 8. Got there just before tapes up. Middlo got stuck in it and arrived mid meeting. Many locals were well peed off as they also got stuck. Think it was a televised meeting. Absolutely huge crowd. But the following week they had a regular sized attendance so lost on the promotion.

Given that a company was sponsoring the meeting, presumably at a rate the promotion were happy with, I don't think the promotion lost out. It was a win win situation for them as some of the newbies may have returned.

Edited by TonyE

3 hours ago, ouch said:

If I’ve got the right website it appears they run one event in each location per year and they are currently selling tickets for their last three events for this year, all indoors. 

Whilst I agree about social media marketing, you cannot compare the two when measuring achieved attendance levels. 

You probably see the main event covering liverpool, London etc. My event when I done it was purely regional at the same venue in Essex 4-5 times per year 

They may be different sports but promoting happens in similar ways, speedway just dont promote, the most backwards sport I know lol

In the last month Belle Vue have been on local TV, radio, newspapers, billboards, over 100 social media slots plus they have a cheap suck it and see experience with the Colts for £10 and any number of under 18’s free.

A few weeks before that we attend two local exhibitions, one of which was massively attended where 100’s of fixture lists and flyers were given out and these are still being distributed locally. 

7 hours ago, TonyE said:

It was a win win situation for them as some of the newbies may have returned.

The point is they didn't return.  You could conclude they didn't particularly like what they saw...