British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
HGould

One League - Matt Ford

8 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

The top boys went years ago. None left to go, bar Doyle

Luckily I watch Swindon. But I would still support them without a top boy. Just need regular speedway to stop the interest waning.

13 hours ago, ruckerroo said:

Its  got to the stage where one league can only be round the corner.

Once sky turned it up it told you all you needed to know.

Ford is a lot of things but hes a very good promoter and lets face it,there are a hell of lot of championship riders in the prem anyway.

I don't know if its the fix but if ford cant make it pay on his crowds, somerset must have done plenty coz they couldn't wait to drop, eastie were doing plenty 5 yr ago so they dropped down , Leicester prob got a bung last yr but they've quickly dropped, 3 eastern sides held up by one bloke, must be worth a try.

Matt is one of the better "Promoters" however you can be sure what ever league set-up we have - by hook or crook Poole will be one of the top teams! Chopping & changing teams mid term favors the better off teams & adds to cost all round, team changes should not be allowed other than injury or retirement & with full independent approval!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it will never happen of course..   

Edited by CountyGround
spelling,,,
  • Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 7:11 PM, GWC said:

Eastbourne postponed their meeting yesterday due to the threat of the Champions league final. The loss of a few hundred spectators would be crippling financially.

Can see this continuing so the sport must reduce costs like it or not. Probably the area to consider and one which gets overlooked is rider equipment and how costs can be significantly reduced.

In the same press release, Eastbourne said that their attendances have been 'excellent and well above target' with even the lowest being 'around break even'. 

I don't think you are wrong here, but it would be easy to paint a picture that is blacker than it actually is. 

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 10:35 AM, Grachan said:

The amount of likes you got for this post just shows how delusional the UK is about Brexit.

How is EU law affecting immigration to the UK from Australia? Or are you expecting freedom of movement between the UK and Australia after we leave?

This is about work permits for the Australian speedway riders, and other riders from non-EU nations, such as USA or New Zealand.

Wouldn't it become much easier for the British Government if the EU does no longer restrict them in this matter?

If going to one big league the British speedway clubs need enforcement from Australia. They should be allowed a sufficient number work permits to fill the teams with any such rider willing to come over and stay here for the season, instead of being forced to employ EU foreigners, who are either too expensive, or not good enough at alll, and who do commute  back home to ride in any of the multitude of European competitions or their own countries's national events on every other weekend.

British clubs must be enabled to employ a sufficient number riders, who are committed to the British Leagues, and don't give the UK meetings a miss because of clashes with meetings abroad. If Britain currently does not have enough riders, there's plenty of fresh talent in Aussie, just waiting to be given a chance.

Where there's a will, there's always a way !

Edited by Bavarian

3 minutes ago, Bavarian said:

This is about work permits for the Australian speedway riders, and other riders from non-EU nations, such as USA or New Zealand.

Wouldn't it become much easier for the British Government if the EU does no longer restrict them in this matter?

If going to one big league the British speedway clubs need enforcement from Australia. They should be allowed a sufficient number work permits to fill the teams with any such rider willing to come over and stay here for the season, instead of being forced to employ EU foreigners, who are either too expensive, or not good enough at alll, and who do commute  back home to ride in any of the multitude of European competitions or their own countries's national events on every other weekend.

British clubs must be enabled to employ a sufficient number riders, who are committed to the British Leagues, and don't give the UK meetings a miss because of clashes with meetings abroad. If Britain currently does not have enough riders, there's plenty of fresh talent in Aussie, just waiting to be given a chance.

I think there are enough Australians already in CL in particular and some Clubs seem unable or unwilling to give British talent a chance.

May be we should get all capable British riders a ride first and then seek Australian permits and then EU riders.

Some clubs are bringing  very young Australian riders over who have very little 500cc experience in Oz whilst some good NL lads would be far better options.  

• Like 2

Fair enough, if there are British lads waiting for chance, then they should always be the first choice. The Australian option would only come into play if there is a genuine shortage of riders to fill all the places in ONE BIG LEAGUE.

9 hours ago, Bavarian said:

Britain sets its own rules on immigration from Australia and all non EU countries. It's nothing to do with the EU whether Australians can come here or not.

• Like 1

Interesting however after probably 25 years or longer of cost cutting there cannot be much left to cut? I am always amazed the one area never looked at is rider equipment. 

Surely if we go down the one big league route and Doyle and Lambert do quit the league then that's the time to introduce standard equipment? To save on the one major cost that has never been looked at. 

Not cost cutting but something else that massively affected my decision to stop attending is the wonderful guest rule. That along with the transfer system really needs a massive overhaul. 

The two combined saw Scott Nicholls ride 3 weeks running at Ipswich for 3 different teams....... But hey this is speedway as the phrase goes. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Spl77 said:

Interesting however after probably 25 years or longer of cost cutting there cannot be much left to cut? I am always amazed the one area never looked at is rider equipment. 

Surely if we go down the one big league route and Doyle and Lambert do quit the league then that's the time to introduce standard equipment? To save on the one major cost that has never been looked at. 

Not cost cutting but something else that massively affected my decision to stop attending is the wonderful guest rule. That along with the transfer system really needs a massive overhaul. 

The two combined saw Scott Nicholls ride 3 weeks running at Ipswich for 3 different teams....... But hey this is speedway as the phrase goes. 

its so obvious - its like the tuners and manufacturers are running the game. Also there needs to be research into the interaction between tyres and surface materials.

cheaper bikes won't affect entertainmnet but maybe one or two riders and promoters can actually make some money

38 minutes ago, ch958 said:

its so obvious - its like the tuners and manufacturers are running the game. Also there needs to be research into the interaction between tyres and surface materials.

cheaper bikes won't affect entertainmnet but maybe one or two riders and promoters can actually make some money

The subject of cutting costs has been abundant for more years than I care to remember. People within the sport were saying same at the advent of the four valves and it had been allowed to get out of hand without any real intervention. When lay-downs were introduced they were banned in the British Leagues but, if I recall, that only lasted the one year when they were introduced due to pressures from abroad and the GPs who allowed them.

Edited by steve roberts

3 hours ago, Spl77 said:

You are forgetting though that Speedway (in Britain) is the only sport that has ever existed since the dawn of time, where competitors can actually get injured...

:D

My 'final, final straw' (after several other just 'final' ones)..

Was a couple of years ago, when Max Fricke rode against Poole for the Aces in the morning then rode for Poole against Leicester the same day, just a few hours later...

Poole suffered an injury during the Aces meeting so Max was asked to go along and represent them..

I decided finally that Mickey Mouse had indeed completely taken over and that any organising body that decides such nonsense is 100% acceptable, (and actively encourages it), simply isn't worth your hard earned in following it..

Any competition ran that allows such a ridiculous state of affairs is rendered contrived and worthless..

Therefore why go an watch it? Those that allow such nonsense are truly asking a lot for people to take it seriously and follow it with any emotional attachment to their team...

Which is so fundamental to the success of any team sport..

Thankfully Poland and Sweden still run the sport properly and get beamed into my TV each week via the wonders of modern science...

And this year the SoN, the U21 World Cup and Cardiff are either on my doorstep or just a car ride away...

A shame as is it is a great sporting spectacle when done well, and properly..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

You are forgetting though that Speedway (in Britain) is the only sport that has ever existed since the dawn of time, where competitors can actually get injured...

:D

My 'final, final straw' (after several other just 'final' ones)..

Was a couple of years ago, when Max Fricke rode against Poole for the Aces in the morning then rode for Poole against Leicester the same day, just a few hours later...

Poole suffered an injury during the Aces meeting so Max was asked to go along and represent them..

I decided finally that Mickey Mouse had indeed completely taken over and that any organising body that decides such nonsense is 100% acceptable, (and actively encourages it), simply isn't worth your hard earned in following it..

Any competition ran that allows such a ridiculous state of affairs is rendered contrived and worthless..

Therefore why go an watch it? Those that allow such nonsense are truly asking a lot for people to take it seriously and follow it with any emotional attachment to their team...

Which is so fundamental to the success of any team sport..

Thankfully Poland and Sweden still run the sport properly and get beamed into my TV each week via the wonders of modern science...

And this year the SoN, the U21 World Cup and Cardiff are either on my doorstep or just a car ride away...

A shame as is it is a great sporting spectacle when done well, and properly..

There's been plenty of strange guest situation since I started going back in 1974. Bob Kilby riding against Swindon twice in one evening for 2 different sides. John Davis guesting for Oxford in place of John Davis.

I don't see how the Max Fricke example is any worse.

• Like 2

Wasnt 1 league tried around 94? Not sure if it was the same season that it was an 18 heat formula. From memory it was a bit rubbish

Use of Guest, R/R, riding for multiple teams etc. It's all a bit odd and unique to speedway. Personally I'd rather see a guest ride as I want to see competitive racing and have no personal attachment to any team. 

30 minutes ago, Grachan said:

There's been plenty of strange guest situation since I started going back in 1974. Bob Kilby riding against Swindon twice in one evening for 2 different sides. John Davis guesting for Oxford in place of John Davis.

I don't see how the Max Fricke example is any worse.

I suppose in those days it was a much less media focused age...

You could get away with such nonsense and the first you would here of it was when you had paid your money to get in, or if you didn't attend, in the SS a week later..

Now you know well in advance of who the teams are going to made up of and can decide whether to collude with the promoters or not that what you are watching is credible..

£25, plus the inevitable extras, for me and my lad is a lot of money to pay out for something contrived and ultimately unimportant as to who the victors are..

Maybe running the sport 'properly' won't turn around the sports fortunes..

But I would suggest it might be worth a go, before it becomes far too late to have any impact at all..