British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
HGould

One League - Matt Ford

I believe there will be a regional league/division structure before the sport goes to one league.

5 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

I believe there will be a regional league/division structure before the sport goes to one league.

Maybe one league using something similar to the US sporting model...?

ie. Play your regional rivals more than you play your national rivals..

Then, in the case of speedway, come play off time each region (presuming there's four), sends its no1 team to them...?

Edited by mikebv

4 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

I doubt that is even feasible. What would be the point of a 5 team division especially when the majority of riders in northern based teams are based in the midlands or further south?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Maybe one league using something similar to the US sporting model...?

ie. Play your regional rivals more than you play your national rivals..

Then, in the case of speedway, come play off time each region (presuming there's four), sends its no1 team to them...?

The regular baseball season is 162 games. I would love to see how that would work in British speedway! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Steve

35 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

That will lead to repetitive fixtures, when one attraction of one "big" league would be the variety of opponents through the season

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ch958 said:

well you're guessing there a bit: you don't really know the circumstances at, say, Redcar, who rent from the council and keep the catering receipts unlike others who have private landlords and don't get the catering money.

The level of a single division HAS repeat HAS to be achieveable for the "smaller" clubs.

I'm certain thet evenly matched teams with continuity and fixture variety is an improvement and will prove popular if costs are controlled

As I said I elsewhere, there has to be some form of rider control

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

That will lead to repetitive fixtures, when one attraction of one "big" league would be the variety of opponents through the season

Exactly. It would be okay if there were enough teams to provide some variety, but there aren't.

44 minutes ago, chunky said:

The regular baseball season is 162 games. I would love to see how that would work in British speedway! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Steve

It would give the riders plenty of guest bookings...:D

And if you double up you could ride almost all year..

Just have Xmas day off.....;)

Edited by mikebv

To make the regional league system work if 14 teams were racing you could have two 7 team divisions (North and South). Teams could race teams in their own division home and away twice and those in the other division home and away once. That would give 18 home/18 away meetings. The top three in each division could then go forward to the league finals meeting each of the other five teams home and away before the top two teams meet in the League Finals. The points from all meetings up to that point would be added together to decide the top two meaning being top of your division would be worthwhile. The 8 teams who were not in the finals could be split into two groups of four (3 meetings at home and 3 away) with the top from each group meeting for the National Trophy. All this gives a full fixture list of meetings that all mean something with no need for any filler competitions and a mixture of local derbies plus the interest of having teams from afar visiting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

To be honest we are going on about the best riders giving "One league" a miss but the truth is we don't really have the "best" riders here anymore to begin with. I really don't mean any disrespect to the star names we already have here but they are no where near to the high standards (maybe a couple of exceptions) we were used to watching on the terraces in the 80's and 90's. 

Maybe a few of the modern star names are charging top dollar for their services? You can't fault them for doing so if promoters are daft enough to pay what they are asking but does the standard of racing reflect that? I Know people will come back and say "No - we saw good racing last night" but come on lets face it, it's probably once in a blue moon you actually see a decent meeting these days. I could be wrong of cause, but the last few meetings I have seen on BT sports including the GP's I have turned the channel over after a few heats. That said, I also recently watched a Swedish league meeting on the Free Sports channel and that bored the hell out of me so maybe the standards have dropped in other countries?

It all comes back again to asking does the punter get value for their money? In my opinion NO. British Speedway needs to re-invent itself fast. Let it be run by the organ grinder not the monkey. 

Edited by kelvinlapworth
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Chris116 said:

To make the regional league system work if 14 teams were racing you could have two 7 team divisions (North and South). Teams could race teams in their own division home and away twice and those in the other division home and away once. That would give 18 home/18 away meetings. The top three in each division could then go forward to the league finals meeting each of the other five teams home and away before the top two teams meet in the League Finals. The points from all meetings up to that point would be added together to decide the top two meaning being top of your division would be worthwhile. The 8 teams who were not in the finals could be split into two groups of four (3 meetings at home and 3 away) with the top from each group meeting for the National Trophy. All this gives a full fixture list of meetings that all mean something with no need for any filler competitions and a mixture of local derbies plus the interest of having teams from afar visiting.

send that in to BSPA recorded delivery and lock the doors til they agree it.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, HGould said:

send that in to BSPA recorded delivery and lock the doors til they agree it.

I would love to but fear they could starve to death if we locked the doors.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Chris116 said:

I would love to but fear they could starve to death if we locked the doors.

And I thought you were going to raise a downside......:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

And I thought you were going to raise a downside......:lol:

I always try to remain positive!

Currently I am positive the BSPA are not very good at their job. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/8/2019 at 8:21 PM, chunky said:

Steve

More likely the regular NFL Season which is 16 games!