British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Aviator

Are the FIM really in control of speedway worldwide or are the Polish Authorities exempt?

Having just watched the GP Qualifiers for tomorrow’s SGP in Krsko, I was surprised to see that Polish clubs had precedence over the FIM on GP riders in qualifying for gate positions in an FIM event. Last nights Danish final took two Poole riders out of a league event to ride in an FIM event. Seems to me that the Polish Speedway Authorities are doing a Winston Churchill to the FIM!!!  Might be a good idea if the FIM were to inform the Poles who are are the sports “Governing” body, that’s if they’ve got the B4LL5’s..

Edited by Aviator
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Aviator said:

Having just watched the GP Qualifiers for tomorrow’s SGP in Krsko, I was surprised to see that Polish clubs had precedence over the FIM on GP riders in qualifying for gate positions in an FIM event. Last nights Danish final took two Poole riders out of a league event to ride in an FIM event. Seems to me that the Polish Speedway Authorities are doing a Winston Churchill to the FIM!!!  Might be a good idea if the FIM were to inform the Poles who are are the sports “Governing” body, that’s if they’ve got the B4LL5’s..

British speedway should have come out of the FIM years ago and done their own thing. The FIM have never been interested in the sport this side of the channel

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, crazyb said:

British speedway should have come out of the FIM years ago and done their own thing. The FIM have never been interested in the sport this side of the channel

That’s a sad state of affairs when the World Champion and the SON Silver Medalists are from this side of the channel..

2 hours ago, Aviator said:

THE Danish Final isn't an FIM event ... with British tracks not racing at home every week some fixture planning should not go amiss.GP practice isn't compulsory so the riders can chose. However, I do agree that the FIM should have stopped Polish tracks from staging meetings involving GP riders on a Friday before a World Championship round. But not all agree.

Edited by PHILIPRISING
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

THE Danish Final isn't an FIM event ... with British tracks not racing at home every week some fixture planning should not go amiss.GP practice isn't compulsory so the riders can chose. However, I do agree that the FIM should have stopped Polish tracks from staging meetings involving GP riders on a Friday before a World Championship round. But not all agree.

So you are saying it is the riders choice where he rides?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

It begs another question, “what do the FIM do? Or, are responsible for?

Jollies, blazers, dinners, trophies etc. The formal face of motorcycle sport. Occasional " court" to hold a rider to account for some misdemeanour. But toothless in the face of other powerful influences of course.

8 hours ago, Aviator said:

It begs another question, “what do the FIM do? Or, are responsible for?

QUITE a lot actually and, of course, speedway is only part of it. There was a time when members of the BSPA contemplated operating outside the FIM but, of course, that would have led to complete isolation. Countries like Denmark, Sweden and Poland would never have followed suit which would have meant British riders being excluded from any international events including the World Championship. Was never going to happen despite frustrations with Geneva.

8 hours ago, Aviator said:

So you are saying it is the riders choice where he rides?

YES it is. But with GP practice not being compulsory, riders know what side their bread is buttered and will race in Poland on a Friday not only for the money on offer that particular night but to ensure their future lucrative employment with the club. The FIM have definitely looked at stopping this but legally it would open a can of worms.

• Like 1

Was this GP Qualifying the idea of the FIM?

I posted this on another thread but thought it was fitting for it to be here as well.

I think Polish speedway authorites are spoiling speedway. There should be no top class speedway the night before a world GP anywhere. Riders deserve to be able to put in the max effort to win the world championship, the pinnacle of any sport.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Aviator said:

That’s a sad state of affairs when the World Champion and the SON Silver Medalists are from this side of the channel..

He doesn't rife in this country and the SON is only a glorified pairs meeting

14 minutes ago, Trees said:

Was this GP Qualifying the idea of the FIM?

THINK it was a joint effort from both the FIM and BSI/IMG to beef up interest in Friday's practice but, unlike F1 for example, being fastest the day before actually means nothing.

1 minute ago, crazyb said:

He doesn't rife in this country and the SON is only a glorified pairs meeting

WHATEVER you may think of the SON, it is a World Championship and certainly seen as such by the riders, especially those that collect a gold medal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have no issue with riders who choose to take part in their own country's national championship eg Denmark, and that those championships (semi-finals and Final) should take precedence over league meetings anywhere.

However its the Danes decision to run the semi and final on 2 Thursdays that ought to be challenged as its not an FIM-agreed priority racenight in Denmark.