British Speedway Forum
Cue Ball

Sheffield v Scunny 02/06/19

44 minutes ago, OdsalBoy said:

Apparently Danny was kicking off in the pits afterwards.

I'm not saying I don't believe it happened at some point, but I went to the pit area about 5 minutes after the meeting finished and Danny was happily having a long chat/photos with the webmaster (and his wife/little boy) of this very forum! 

Edited by Tigerblade
After the meeting FINISHED, not started!

8 minutes ago, Tigerblade said:

I'm not saying I don't believe it happened at some point, but I went to the pit area about 5 minutes after the meeting started, and Danny was happily having a long chat/photos with the webmaster (and his wife/little boy) of this very forum! 

While i do not profess to be a personal friend of Dannys but i do know people that are and  it would seem very out of character if this was true. So going off some of the posters previous posts and what i know of Danny along with the info off Tigerblade i am going to say its NOT true .

I can understand his frustration when his team mates aren't putting ,more effort in.He shouldn't have to be having a TS ride at home  and then HAVE to win heat 15 to win the meeting every week.Occasionally yes every week no.Its suppose to be a team sport and the rest are letting him down.I can see changes soon as our promotors will not be wanting another short season.

2 minutes ago, ProudtobeaBrummie said:

While i do not profess to be a personal friend of Dannys but i do know people that are and  it would seem very out of character if this was true. So going off some of the posters previous posts and what i know of Danny along with the info off Tigerblade i am going to say its NOT true .

Just realised, I obviously mean after the meeting FINISHED!  Like I say, I've no idea if it happened or not, but he'd calmed down pretty quick if so. 

• Like 1

Just now, Tigerblade said:

Just realised, I obviously mean after the meeting FINISHED!  Like I say, I've no idea if it happened or not, but he'd calmed down pretty quick if so. 

I suppose depends on what you definition of "kicking off " is as well doesn't it  .

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OdsalBoy said:

Apparently Danny was kicking off in the pits afterwards.

Looks like your information is about as good as your predictions. ;)

• Haha 2

Probably elation & relief rather than kicking off.

Star of the show for my money was Todd Kurtz. I've gone on record previously as saying he's a "slow burner" and will finish up in a year or two with an 8 point average. 

To say he hasn't been near Owlerton this season until Sunday, he rode with considerable skill and maturity. I said in the winter that Sheffield were mugs to let him go and, having seen how some of the Tigers' "rising stars" performed on Sunday, I see no reason to change my opinion on that. The trouble is, having had a good look at the track, Todd will probably come back on 30th June with Somerset and punish us.

In terms of the general team performance, the rider with least excuse for such a poor showing is Ty Proctor. For an alleged heat leader, three third places and a solitary win is not acceptable and unless he pulls his socks up I can well see him being the first out of the door by July. Kasper's confidence looks to have been blown, whilst Zaine's performances alternate between brilliant and abysmal. Meanwhile Broc reserves all his best performances for the away matches (which is no bad thing). All-in-all, we've had a run of lucky escapes in the last three home matches but on present showing I fear we will be on the losing end when the stronger teams start arriving (starting next Sunday with Leicester).

........ but Kemp escapes criticism! You knew when you signed him that you were getting the best 2 pointer available but also knew that he had over a 4.75 average from 7 meetings last year for Ipswich & after 1 away meeting would move into the main body.

We, also, had a no1 & ex Sheffield rider only scoring 4 points

8 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

........ but Kemp escapes criticism! You knew when you signed him that you were getting the best 2 pointer available but also knew that he had over a 4.75 average from 7 meetings last year for Ipswich & after 1 away meeting would move into the main body.

Why wouldn't Kemp escape criticism? If there is any blame to be levied its against the promotion who knew his average would rise but failed to build a team to keep him in the reserve berths and utilise the treat rather than nullify it in the main team. Kemp is also still learning his way in the sport and competing in his first full season at Champ level. 

Auty has wasted his chances and career. He was a very hot talent at the same age as Drew and has developed into an inconsistent heat leader that as become reliant on Scunthorpe keeping him employed as many others would / have see through him. If Kemp doesn't eclipse Auty's achievements it will only be because the sport no longer exists.

8 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

Bearing in mind Kemp's still a kid at 16 I think it would be unfair to criticise him too harshly. If I'm honest I think the high expectations that led to his signing were built on a couple of freakishly outstanding performances at the back end of last season. Whilst the lad is undoubtedly an emerging talent I think it would be wrong to heap too much criticism on his young shoulders. Let's give the lad a chance.

As for the Scunny no.1, It wouldn't be for me to impose my views on your team's misfortune. I wish there were more visiting no.1's struggling to score points at Owlerton. My fear is that before this season is out there will be a host of no.1's scoring a hatful of points (damn them all) and our lads will be the poorer for it!

I think drew needs to be a bit more aggressive.A few times this season he has gone into the first bend with a rider at the side of him and he's shut off giving away his position. He's no doubt got talent but at the same age Robert lambert wouldn't have done that.. Hopefully it will come sooner rather than later and he will kick on.

Sheffield in real terms set there team up to about 40 Pts this year due to Kemps average and he would have been better off at a different track to Sheffield it doesn’t suit his style

59 minutes ago, Tosh1218 said:

Sheffield in real terms set there team up to about 40 Pts this year due to Kemps average and he would have been better off at a different track to Sheffield it doesn’t suit his style

Didn't stop him top scoring with 13 +1 in first match against Scunthorpe.

1 hour ago, Tosh1218 said:

But if he wants to progress to the very top, he has to learn to ride tracks like Sheffield along the way. Like I said earlier in the discussion, he's just hit the wall at the moment, but he's got plenty of his career left lol!!  I think part of the problem is, they built the team up with 2 second strings and 2 reserves, who they hoped would all put in second string performances every time.  But mainly they've all had more like the scores of 4 reserves.