British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
porkypotter

leicester v stoke potters.

20 minutes ago, Happy Hunter said:

At the meeting against Belle Vue Colts I reckon there might have been 3/400 fans there.

Certainly an interesting number and shows the diversity of the NL as some clubs would be quite happy with that number and others would be deeply alarmed. Not sure of the overheads to determine if that number is sustainable for the cubs or not?

38 minutes ago, Happy Hunter said:

At the meeting against Belle Vue Colts I reckon there might have been 3/400 fans there.

How many BV fans?

1 minute ago, adonis said:

How many BV fans?

Why not come along and see for yourself.

Hard for me as a Bees fan to say, but Leicester Cubs (and Lions) have been very entertaining this season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gambo said:

Why not come along and see for yourself.

Hard for me as a Bees fan to say, but Leicester Cubs (and Lions) have been very entertaining this season.

Not a snowballs chance that I would come and watch any Leicester team ,

5 hours ago, adonis said:

Not a snowballs chance that I would come and watch any Leicester team ,

I used to go to Brandon but only when I thought the Bees would lose!

7 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Certainly an interesting number and shows the diversity of the NL as some clubs would be quite happy with that number and others would be deeply alarmed. Not sure of the overheads to determine if that number is sustainable for the cubs or not?

I imagine that the terms of the lease of the stadium at Beaumont Park allow the Lion’s promoters to run as many meetings/events as they like for a set fee. So, unlike the Bees last season, who I assume paid some sort of fee every time they rode at Beaumont Park, there are no such fees when the Cubs ride at home. The Lions have a great bunch of volunteers who act as co-team manager, track and start marshals, crowd stewards and who staff the box office and track shop etc. The major items of expenditure are, therefore, medical cover and payments to the riders. I have no idea what National League riders are getting but I can’t imagine that anyone is making a fortune out of speedway at this level.

3 hours ago, Happy Hunter said:

I used to go to Brandon but only when I thought the Bees would lose!

You didn't go very often then :D    I first went to Brandon in 1959  , and have been a bees fan ever since , I was taken to speedway by my older brother who is sadly no longer with us , and I wouldn't dream of insulting his memory by paying to watch the arch enemy , 

4 hours ago, Happy Hunter said:

I have no idea what National League riders are getting but I can’t imagine that anyone is making a fortune out of speedway at this level.

You would be surprised then. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

I’m sure Coventry said last season that they needed 400/450 to break even (but weren’t even getting that). So presumably the figure would be slightly lower for Leicester with no rent etc. 

5 minutes ago, Islander15 said:

I’m sure Coventry said last season that they needed 400/450 to break even (but weren’t even getting that). So presumably the figure would be slightly lower for Leicester with no rent etc. 

Assuming the track rent is similar to private hires the its 50 less paying public required to cover that off, i suspect as a second team there are perks with regards to registrations, bonds etc. Probably even a cross over of helpers too. One thing that is for certain is that as a track that can run 7 days a week its definitely a huge plus to have teams running in separate divisions and long may it continue.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, adonis said:

You didn't go very often then :D    I first went to Brandon in 1959  , and have been a bees fan ever since , I was taken to speedway by my older brother who is sadly no longer with us , and I wouldn't dream of insulting his memory by paying to watch the arch enemy , 

I must confess that I went more in hope than expectation! I saw my first meeting in 1949 at Blackbird Road and can well remember going to Brandon on Leicester Corporation double decker buses. One thing that I did like at Coventry was the hot dogs - I reckon the Bees outscored the Hunters in that respect!

13 minutes ago, Happy Hunter said:

I must confess that I went more in hope than expectation! I saw my first meeting in 1949 at Blackbird Road and can well remember going to Brandon on Leicester Corporation double decker buses. One thing that I did like at Coventry was the hot dogs - I reckon the Bees outscored the Hunters in that respect!

The old local derbies are a memory I shall cherish forever ,  The old corporation buses used to stop in Hinckley and pick up , one of the great things about speedway back then was of course the banter between supporters , and the journey was often more fun than some of the meetings . Those hot dogs were cooked the week before in MRs O's  kitchen and kept warm in silver foil :D I used to love the trips to Swindon for the Heinz soup myself .

Coventry needed 250 punters to break even according to MH and Leicester have had a lot more than that for home meetings 

On 6/4/2019 at 9:24 AM, Skodaman said:

Danyon Hume, Anders Rowe and Jordan palin showed that there was more than one line during the latter part of the meeting.

Riders were happy to give it a go. The ref decided we should start the meeting. Home Promoter does not have a say once ref is in the stadium.