British Speedway Forum
Col

Brummies v Tigers, Yorkshire edition. 05/06.

Really pleased with result, I've got to say I thought it was gonna be one of them nights when we had the big crashes and Sheffield raced into a 27-21 at one stage. The incident with Kyle Howarth forgetting to come out in his gloves was extraordinary, not seen anything like that before.

There wasn't much racing but that said generally this season its been pretty good but it was a good meeting overall. The match was swinging one way then the other, a couple a big crashes ( thankfully all riders okay), the incident with Howarth and generally a good atmosphere on the terraces also. Decent crowd which was pleasing, felt sorry for the management in recent weeks. They have listened to the fans, are changing the team, you cant fault them in that regard. Should be a good crowd next week.

Ashley Morris was superb, I've been critical of him previously in the season but fair play he seems to have turned a corner in the last month. Paco once again scoring big points at reserve, definitely think he was great signing in the winter. Shanes gave everything and I felt sorry for him because the track wasn't as conducive to passing as other meetings. Ellis showed why he was such a good signing with a good night overall. Stoneman had that big crash in heat 2 which may have affected him but he had a brilliant meeting last week. Hopefully we can get a replacement for Zach, as was said in the programme they are speaking to riders but its a case of getting a rider we can afford.

Good to see Danny King back, loved his time at the Brummies and hes generally one of my favourite riders in British Speedway. He had good back up in the form of Howarth and Broc Nichol and pretty much the other riders in the top 5. At reserve it was more of a struggle but I do think Mcdonald is a good signing for Sheffield and will score well there. 

Well done to the brummies ,very entertaining meeting and kept interesting throughout with the close scores.Morris was excellent after his early bad crash and Paco won more races last night than he did in several meetings for us.Cracking opening ride from King then as I saw it Stoneman T boned Josh.Stoneman went into the bend to fast and tight from where we were stood.Id like to see a video tho to confirm that.Heat 3 Morris locked up and was hit by shanes. Looked worse than it actually was.Heat 6 Zaine defending his position and shanes knocked him off should have been excluded.Proctor was excluded for a lot less contact a couple of weeks ago.Comical heat 9 when captain Howarth doesn't appear within the 2 minutes then comes out with no gloves ?? Gifting 5-1 to Brummies.Heat 11 I think Drew gave up his position to Paco a bit easy ,he needs to get a bit tougher.Expected a bit more after his great heat 8 win.Heat 12 good gate from Brummies with proctor chasing hard on the outside but getting nowhere near.Heat 13 similar Tigers gate and Brummies can't get near.heat 14 same.Then last heat decider was always going to be about who makes the gate.Was hoping our lads would do it but the brilliant Morris was not going to be denied.Stand out riders for us wereDanny and Broc and it might have been better if josh had won heat 2 when coming from the back and getting a confidence boosting debut win but as usual in a rerun the rider who was at the back pops out and wins rerun.Can see Brummies getting stronger at home until Paco moves into top 5 then they might struggle.As for us ,it's going to be a short season again.Disappointing as the side has got potential .

42 minutes ago, Charlieboy said:

then as I saw it Stoneman T boned Josh.Stoneman went into the bend to fast and tight

Thats how i saw it bud . I have no complaints about the Stoneman or Morris exclusions or in fact the  Howarth or Kennedy ones correct call in my view every time.

Edited by ProudtobeaBrummie

1 hour ago, Charlieboy said:

Well done to the brummies ,very entertaining meeting and kept interesting throughout with the close scores.Morris was excellent after his early bad crash and Paco won more races last night than he did in several meetings for us.Cracking opening ride from King then as I saw it Stoneman T boned Josh.Stoneman went into the bend to fast and tight from where we were stood.Id like to see a video tho to confirm that.Heat 3 Morris locked up and was hit by shanes. Looked worse than it actually was.Heat 6 Zaine defending his position and shanes knocked him off should have been excluded.Proctor was excluded for a lot less contact a couple of weeks ago.Comical heat 9 when captain Howarth doesn't appear within the 2 minutes then comes out with no gloves ?? Gifting 5-1 to Brummies.Heat 11 I think Drew gave up his position to Paco a bit easy ,he needs to get a bit tougher.Expected a bit more after his great heat 8 win.Heat 12 good gate from Brummies with proctor chasing hard on the outside but getting nowhere near.Heat 13 similar Tigers gate and Brummies can't get near.heat 14 same.Then last heat decider was always going to be about who makes the gate.Was hoping our lads would do it but the brilliant Morris was not going to be denied.Stand out riders for us wereDanny and Broc and it might have been better if josh had won heat 2 when coming from the back and getting a confidence boosting debut win but as usual in a rerun the rider who was at the back pops out and wins rerun.Can see Brummies getting stronger at home until Paco moves into top 5 then they might struggle.As for us ,it's going to be a short season again.Disappointing as the side has got potential .

Agree about Drew Kemp.....he did look a bit lightweight last night and Paco certainly took no prisoners when he passed him!

The gulf between NL and Championship is massive ....

I have a different opinion about Shanes/Kennedy incident? there appeared to be no contact at all....just a hard pass. It could easily have been the other way round on the previous lap....?

You're right about Stoneman going in to bend 3/4 fast in heat 2, but Macdonald locked up and gave Stoneman no chance of avoiding him.....Macdonald definitely was the cause of the stoppage...imo!

Just glad no-one got injured:t:

Edited by GiveusaB

In all fairness to Howarth i very much doubt he wanted to head out without gloves on and was most likely harassed by his team management to get his butt out on track. They took a chance and they failed simple as that. I have to admit its the first time i have heard of gloves being missing although i do know a rider must keep his crash helmet on even when pushing home for a point, goggles are a grey area as not sure they are required? Technically a fall face helmet could be used providing it has the correct certification? Nice to know that not all referees are completely blind though so credit where its due and no nasty injuries occurred either.

Very entertaining meeting last night, and full credit to both teams for making it so. As a lifelong Birmingham man, I have to admit to a degree of sympathy for the Sheffield supporters - this was a match which neither team deserved to lose, and I certainly found the Sheffield supporters to be fair-minded and gracious in their defeat - I admit too, that for most of the meeting I thought the Tigers had it in the bag!

I was quite impressed with Sheffield's new Australian. The heat two crash knocked him back a bit, but he had plenty of speed and I reckon he will do well as the season progresses. 

No doubt at all who was Birmingham's match winner. Ashley Morris rode out of his skin and deserved every one of his points. Well done both teams! More matches like this will bring the crowds back.

• Like 1

I thought there was contact as Shanes went under Kennedy. However Kennedy was rebounding off the fence which he had clipped coming out of bend 4. And that in my view makes him the one who was less in command of  his riding line and I therefore conclude the decision was correct.

In fact all round I think  Chris Durno had a pretty good night ( how many people spotted the lack of gloves?)

Had a perfect view of the shanes / Kennedy incident and there was absolutely no contact whatsoever between them. Correct decision to exclude Kennedy 

• Like 1

Zaine was a bit untidy coming over the start finish line but from our view on first bend had got it under control before shanes clipped him.After the race shanes stopped at the pit gate and walked towards Zaine shook his hand as an apology,so I think shanes obviously clipped him,not intentionally though !,

1 hour ago, Charlieboy said:

Zaine was a bit untidy coming over the start finish line but from our view on first bend had got it under control before shanes clipped him.After the race shanes stopped at the pit gate and walked towards Zaine shook his hand as an apology,so I think shanes obviously clipped him,not intentionally though !,

Hmmmm he did also do that to ashley morris after he  ended up forcing him in the air fence. I think your reading too much in to that . I would suggest he shook his hand to check his alright because he is a thoroughly nice young lad. 

There was 100% no contact Zaine was still uncomfortable from clipping the kick board on turn 4 .

On 6/5/2019 at 2:15 PM, ProudtobeaBrummie said:

Good luck ,have a safe journey and i hope you enjoy your evening at Perry Barr .Lovely and dray all day and the sun has just popped out so should be a cracking meeting 46-44 the Brummies ..

Just saying spot on with my prediction

14 hours ago, ProudtobeaBrummie said:

Just saying spot on with my prediction

£105 million on the euro lottery tonight ???

• Haha 2